The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign NCAA FA Griffen Molino

Derp...

18 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

go utica... lol what about the canucks...

There's 5 RFA's and 3 UFA's coming up, just in the non-roster players.

Not all are going to be signed. Grenier, Billins and Rendulic, are probably going to be let go.

Larsen and Megna will probably be let go. That's 5 spots right there. 

I don't see Cramarossa being qualified either. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We could waive Larsken and Crammerosa if we need room to sign another couple of free agents out there.

Waiving them won't free up any more contract spots under the 50 contract limit.

5 hours ago, Squeak said:

Those dang 140 character limits!

Yeah, almost like there should be a longer post similar to an article about it...

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/03/27/report-canucks-sign-ncaa-ufa-forward-griffen-molino/

There is a chance that he is a late bloomer who followed an alternative path to get where he is. He played on the top line for Western Michigan and was effective at times.

Through my handful of viewings of their games, as they play in the NCHC, Molino was noticeable to some degree. He wasn’t dominant in any way, but he was effective at the NCAA level despite those statistical flags.

As we’ve seen this season, this organization desperately needs depth at every level. Molino may present the Comets with some more options next season rather than relying heavily on AHL vets. (which is something I have been advocating for).

As always, there is no asset risk in taking these dice-rolls on players. But you do have to be extremely careful on how many of these risks you take. Every team is limited to 50 NHL contracts.  Using those 50 contracts as effectively as possible is an important part of your organization.

B)

But like Boeser, he'd have to be on an ATO this year instead of his ELC to play for the Comets. Boeser took the ELC route (and doesn't look out of place) but Molino will likely have his ELC start next year and we'll see if he signs an ATO to help the Comets now.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Don't know, but you can bet that there are a few expiring contracts that won't be renewed come July 1

That's what I would think. I'm not sure if there is really anything preventing JB from signing as many players as he wants for next year as long as things line up at the start of the season.

Canucks are still at 48 contracts for this year unless he plays.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not all are going to be signed. Grenier, Billins and Rendulic, are probably going to be let go.

I'm wondering about Dorsett's status.  If he has a neck injury, sometimes they are just really difficult and could end his career.  That sort of injury ended my own career in contact sports.  The 3rd vertebrae became misaligned and no amount of physio could get it back in place.  With it out of alignment, I could not train properly.  Running for example gave me terrific head aches.  If Dorsett has something similar, he may be forced to retire.

I would see Cramarossa as a similar type player for the 4th line in terms of energy and physicality (sans fighting)

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Cramarossa is horrible, I'd rather much take another flier on Skille

17 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Attended Detroit's camp last year as an invite (in a year when they scaled back their number of invitees compared to previous camps): http://mihockeynow.com/2016/07/griffen-molino-takes-red-wings-development-camp-in-stride/

Profiled as one of the top 2017 NCAA free agents: http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/03/07/top-2017-college-hockey-free-agents-part-3/

Griffen Molino, Left Wing, Western Michigan Broncos; Sophomore (6’0″ 185 lbs) Shoots Left

The 23-year-old native of Trenton, Michigan has had a solid sophomore season for the Broncos, putting up 13 goals and 28 points in 34 games. Molino is a solid skater, with good speed and accleration as well as solid balance. He is a strong player in all three zones, battling for loose pucks. He is a committed backchecker who supports the defence down low. Molino generates offense through his speed, forcing defenders to back off or risk getting blown by. Molino also has a decent shot, with a good release.

Sounds like a "Willie type" of guy.

17 hours ago, darkpoet said:

Exactly.

I've said it before, but why did it take this organization over 40 years to start doing things this way?

We should have won a Cup by accident by now. 

Better late than never i suppose. 

I'll say this, in the 35 years I've been a fan of this team, I've never been this excited during a time they are losers. 

That made me laugh - and then I thought, sadly, no team wins the SC by accident. When you think of it, that's a good thing.

PS I do however think coaches can win a Stanley Cup by accident.:lol:

My buddy on my beer league team played at WMU and says this kid has potential to be a diamond in the rough. Solid 2-way player with an ability to be a 10-20/30 kinda player. He follows his old team closely and said although he hates the Nucks, he would gladly wear his jersey. Here is to hoping he is right. 

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

That made me laugh - and then I thought, sadly, no team wins the SC by accident. When you think of it, that's a good thing.

PS I do however think coaches can win a Stanley Cup by accident.:lol:

I think the 2006 Carolina team was an accident

Archived