The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign NCAA FA Griffen Molino

Derp...

1 hour ago, The Rattler said:

I think the 2006 Carolina team was an accident

Not so sure. SE Division Champions - 112 points beat Sabres - 110 points to win the Easter Conference then beats Anaheim and the team that put the star studded Red Wings out, 4-1 and 4-2 respectively, Edmonton in the final.

That doesn't look lucky to me but you could be right.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Yes I like Skille, he has scored some special goals and is fast and physical.

Skille has had a good year this season and I hope it gets him a contract. On a rebuilding team there is limited TOI for 4th line players. There has to be a choice between Skille or Dorsett.

43 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Skille has had a good year this season and I hope it gets him a contract. On a rebuilding team there is limited TOI for 4th line players. There has to be a choice between Skille or Dorsett.

I would have to be convinced Dorsett was back to his best before I would consider getting rid of him. I'm not in favour of jettisoning someone who has just had a serious injury.

I think there is room for both - certainly the way we attract injuries.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Not so sure. SE Division Champions - 112 points beat Sabres - 110 points to win the Easter Conference then beats Anaheim and the team that put the star studded Red Wings out, 4-1 and 4-2 respectively, Edmonton in the final.

That doesn't look lucky to me but you could be right.

Check how they did the seasons before and after.  Did not qualify for playoffs I believe.  That team has long been acknowledged a "Cinderella" team.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Skilled returning to the Canucks is likely entirely dependent on whether or not Dorsett is taken in the expansion draft. 

If Dorsett is taken, that will mean there is an opening for a 4th line veteran guy to come in and play with the youngsters. If Dorsett is not taken, I assume Skille will be allowed to walk and likely sign elsewhere. My prediction: Skille will end up in Vegas, Colorado, Arizona, or the Swiss League next year.

That said, Molino's signing is a good low risk, high reward type deal. He provides depth in Utica but he is young enough that he could still worm his way into the Canucks lineup if he works hard enough. Just look at Joseph Labate and Evan McEney this year... I think much of the CDC had them written off this time last year as nothing more than dud prospects. So I'm excited, I'm always excited when the Canucks add prospect depth. A deep prospect pool is usually a good one as there are usually a few gems that are about to be discovered.

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

Skilled returning to the Canucks is likely entirely dependent on whether or not Dorsett is taken in the expansion draft. 

If Dorsett is taken, that will mean there is an opening for a 4th line veteran guy to come in and play with the youngsters. If Dorsett is not taken, I assume Skille will be allowed to walk and likely sign elsewhere. My prediction: Skille will end up in Vegas, Colorado, Arizona, or the Swiss League next year.

That said, Molino's signing is a good low risk, high reward type deal. He provides depth in Utica but he is young enough that he could still worm his way into the Canucks lineup if he works hard enough. Just look at Joseph Labate and Evan McEney this year... I think much of the CDC had them written off this time last year as nothing more than dud prospects. So I'm excited, I'm always excited when the Canucks add prospect depth. A deep prospect pool is usually a good one as there are usually a few gems that are about to be discovered.

Dorsett isn't eligible for the expansion draft

26 minutes ago, soshified said:

Because of his injury Dorsett isn't eligible to be one of the 2 veteran forwards needed to make the quota of the draft, but he's still part of it.

4 hours ago, The Rattler said:

Check how they did the seasons before and after.  Did not qualify for playoffs I believe.  That team has long been acknowledged a "Cinderella" team.

Does that matter though? I mean most teams have a slump after winning the Cup if they are not considered "big teams" do they not. That to me at any rate doesn't make them lucky. 

Lucky to me would mean getting an "easy passage" all the way through and they certainly didn't do that. Cinderella teams to me mean teams not used to winning it all, that's not the same as lucky in my book.

On 3/28/2017 at 5:34 AM, theminister said:

The largest issue with pGPS, and Biech is aware of this, is that it doesn't factor inputs into the equation. It doesn't say why one member of a cohort is more successful than another. It treats them equally which is a fallacy. Translation is almost impossible to account for in a statistical model, at least with the tools freely available now. Context is everything.

For example, it only looks at data points like production but makes no account for skating or, as you point out, deployment and team depth. Gaudette, based on pGPS, looked bad in draft year with that metric because he was a 3C on a good team where he didn't get many opportunities. If he was on a lesser team he would have gotten more scoring chances and his numbers would skew up changing his rating.

The major fallacy wirh only looking at scoring numbers and production is that it treats the player differently. For example, on a good team a player may have 20 less points if pushed down the depth chart, or 20 more if playing up beside good line mates. The thing is... It's still the same player and the same quality of prospect. The player hasn't changed.

I've been following Biech for a few years now and I'm almost positive he said a few years ago that Gaudette was awful.

4 hours ago, soshified said:

You're right, technically, but if I'm not mistaken, he'd only be deemed ineligible if his injury is considered "career threatening" -- which, I'm not sure, his is.

It's true that Dorsett has missed 60 consecutive games (as per the rule with injured players) but he has played over 70 games in the past two seasons, so he could still be eligible if his injury isn't deemed "career threatening". 

Based on the price Benning paid for him, I suspect they'll use the injury as a loop hole to protect him -- pretty much insuring one of Gaunce or Sbisa (I suspect Sbisa will be selected because he'll be an asset the Golden Knights can flip) will be selected instead. It also means that Skille's time as a Canuck is done.

But this is all hypotheticals for now.

31 minutes ago, Quantum said:

You're right, technically, but if I'm not mistaken, he'd only be deemed ineligible if his injury is considered "career threatening" -- which, I'm not sure, his is.

It's true that Dorsett has missed 60 consecutive games (as per the rule with injured players) but he has played over 70 games in the past two seasons, so he could still be eligible if his injury isn't deemed "career threatening". 

Based on the price Benning paid for him, I suspect they'll use the injury as a loop hole to protect him -- pretty much insuring one of Gaunce or Sbisa (I suspect Sbisa will be selected because he'll be an asset the Golden Knights can flip) will be selected instead. It also means that Skille's time as a Canuck is done.

But this is all hypotheticals for now.

not sure how this makes sense.

the price they paid for Dorsett was a 3rd.

Gaunce was a late 1st.

Sbisa is easily worth more than a 3rd.

I think they'd be quite fine with LV taking Dorsett, despite the loss of his leadership, toughness and forechecking presence.

Archived