The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco calls out Province writer Ed Willis

Bur14Kes17

As the fortunes of the Vancouver Canucks ebbed and flowed over the last decade, there has been one great unknown in the organization: A variable that seems to influence all of the franchise’s big decisions, even if no one knew for certain the full extent of that influence.

As the fortunes of the Vancouver Canucks ebbed and flowed over the last decade, there has been one great unknown in the organization: A variable that seems to influence all of the franchise’s big decisions, even if no one knew for certain the full extent of that influence.

That X factor, of course, is the Aquilini ownership group.

Beginning with the sudden firing of Dave Nonis back in 2008 and the series of quizzical hirings that followed, there has been the presumption that ownership — specifically Canucks chairman Francesco Aquilini — is an active and enthusiastic participant in the Canucks’ operations. This was understandable in the hiring of Mike Gillis as the team’s general manager, but Aquilini was involved in the hiring of John Tortorella as head coach, the house cleaning that followed a year later, and a number of smaller intrigues that, taken it total, painted a picture of a meddlesome owner.

Even when Trevor Linden was given the keys to the ranch three years ago, there was still the perception that ownership was overly involved in the Canucks’ inner workings. The story went the Aquilinis weren’t in favour of a comprehensive retooling of the team; that they believed the club could remain competitive while they transitioned to younger players.

Again, it’s hard to know if that was their plan or the plan that was sold to them but, whoever was responsible, it didn’t work. The Canucks finished 28th in the NHL in 2015-16 and 29th in 2016-17, which led to head coach Willie Desjardins getting whacked and today’s news that Travis Green would succeed him.

Green thus becomes the Canucks’ fourth head coach in four years, which isn’t exactly the hallmark of a stable organization. So why would anyone think it will be any different this time?

Because this time it is different.

For the first time in a while, the faithful can be satisfied there is alignment in the organization, that the hockey people are making the decisions independent of ownership and the rebuild is on. We know this because if the Canucks were still under the illusion they can be a playoff team, they would have hired Darryl Sutter or Lindy Ruff or any of the veteran coaches with a proven track record who are looking for work. Instead, they selected Green, a 46-year-old who was an assistant coach with the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks five years ago and whose experience as a head coach consists of four years with the AHL’s Utica Comets.

vancouver-bc-april-09-2014-trevor-linden

Team owner Francesco Aquilini, right, has always seemed to be just behind the curtains when it’s come to the personnel decisions of the Vancouver Canucks. Jason Payne /  PNG

There were, to be sure, safer choices available. But for — say it with me — a rebuilding team, Green ticks a lot of boxes for the Canucks. For starters, he’s a new, fresh face for an organization that’s looked stale and lifeless over the last two years. He has a reputation as a leader with good communication skills who’s already worked with a handful of the Canucks. True, he wasn’t overwhelmed with success in Utica, but the Comets made the AHL finals in 2014-15 and he’s a known quantity to Linden and GM Jim Benning.

Given the current state of the franchise, it will take at least three years before we know if Green is the right man for the job. But for a team that’s trying to sell a new direction, a new lineup and new hope, he’s the right man, right now.

As for ownership, the Canucks can finally bury the perception that decisions were made to placate the Aquilinis and not for the long-term benefit of the team. Linden has always maintained that’s the case, but it didn’t square with the signing of Ryan Miller, Radim Vrbata, Loui Eriksson or any of the other personnel moves that were designed to keep the Canucks competitive in the here and now.

Now there is no confusion about the team’s direction. The Canucks traded established players Jannik Hansen and Alex Burrows for prospects Nikolay Goldobin and Jonathan Dahlen at this season’s deadline. Next year’s lineup figures to include 20-year-old sniper Brock Boeser, the 21-year-old Virtanen and, maybe, 19-year-old Olli Juolevi. And they have an intriguing young coach to lead them.

In all likelihood, they’ll still be two years away from respectability, and there’s a chance this might not work, that too many mistakes have been made and the Canucks are looking at a long, painful stay in the NHL’s dumpster.

But there’s only one way to revive this franchise and that’s the course the organization has now plotted. On so many levels Green represents a clean break for the Canucks, the start of something new and exciting.

It might not work but one thing’s for certain. The old way wasn’t working.

ewilles@postmedia.com

twitter.com/willesonsports

Interesting times. I don't ever recall a time before where Aquilini has been as active on twitter in regards to the canucks. 

IMG_2644.PNG

Either own up to anything and everything or simply stay completely invisible imo.   Jumping in to have your say as an owner only when it's publicly convenient for you,  while your right as the owner,  just reeks like a scumbag polititan who's mia when there's blame going around and suddenly everywhere when it's election time. 

The bottom line is I am putting my faith at this point in Trevor Linden. He has lived and died for this team. He may not be the most experienced but he has the best interest of the team at heart.  I think he is on the right path.

i agree that his semi public statement now is a bit odd

in any event, i'm still very much of the view

that the organization did not want to lose green for nothing

and needed to shake up something to placate parts of the fan base

and green is "green" and therefore cheap

which is a big issue since nucks will be paying 3 coaches next season

1 hour ago, Violator said:

He needs to come out and fully discuss the issues at hand instead of being annoyed with reporters.

Why? He owns the bloody team, if he wants to have input more power to him.  I know I would.

2 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Ed Willis is one of the few reporters that doesn't have his nose up the Canucks arse. He is well respected and tells it like it is. He has my vote !

he has made logical observations based on facts ..  

Aqua man shouldn't be tweeting a la Trump .

Its immature and amateur .  not surprising actually   

Ed willes is a pretty straight shooter ..  the opposite of a botchford who just hates the Canucks 

There really isn't much to be said about Green being hired. It was the obvious choice - there is no reason to put a young, rebuilding team under the extra pressure of a veteran coach. 

Why did Aquaman need to draw more attention to this pointless article?

Can someone please explain to me why hockey fans have this stick up their ass about how owners of hockey teams should and should not act?

I get it, I do. We are all fans here and we want to see the team do well, so even if we all express it in different ways at the end of the day if we see an area where we feel things are being done poorly we want to make a comment about it.

So with that said I will never understand why the people who own these teams are supposed to never do and or say anything. Do you all really expect them to just cut the cheques and show up to the odd game?

4 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Gutsy writeup by Willes, gotta give credit when it's do. I just hope he's correct about Mr Aquilini finally getting out of the way and letting the hockey department do it's job.

For the team let's hope this is a new era in that respect.

Gutsy indeed...Willes has generally been more pro management,but definitely became more critical of the managements 'retool' as the season wore on/down.....He clearly lost confidence in it,and at the end of the day,he was totally right....

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

I like Ed Willes' blogs....He's usually very perceptive,without resorting to out and out trash journalism (Botchford)...

his podcast with the province is pretty terrible. the trash u call botch at least is somewhat entertaining and has a basis of understanding of the Canucks. 

hearing Ed Willies talk on the podcast just shows how little he actually knows.

pat cast blows the province sports radio podcast out the window. but I listen  too it because I have 30+ hours of audio listening time.  podcasts only keep u going for so long lol.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

his podcast with the province is pretty terrible. the trash u call botch at least is somewhat entertaining and has a basis of understanding of the Canucks. 

hearing Ed Willies talk on the podcast just shows how little he actually knows.

pat cast blows the province sports radio podcast out the window. but I listen  too it because I have 30+ hours of audio listening time.  podcasts only keep u going for so long lol.

:lol:

14 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Can someone please explain to me why hockey fans have this stick up their ass about how owners of hockey teams should and should not act?

I get it, I do. We are all fans here and we want to see the team do well, so even if we all express it in different ways at the end of the day if we see an area where we feel things are being done poorly we want to make a comment about it.

So with that said I will never understand why the people who own these teams are supposed to never do and or say anything. Do you all really expect them to just cut the cheques and show up to the odd game?

As soon as he starts talking to the media they'll feast on him,  it'll be like taking down a big ox by a bunch of jackals. 

Archived