The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Certainly not as sour as I was with the Virtanen pick, but Pettersson will be interesting to watch pan out. Hopefully the Sedins hang around long enough to play with him and Dahlen because they'd be perfect mentors.

IMO Petterson is a high risk high reward pick and could be the next Backstrom/Datsyuk, or could completely fold and never be strong enough to defend and contend against the bigger centers of the West (Draisaitl, Glass, Vilardi, Couture etc.). It'll be a very tough environment for him to learn in so hopefully he beefs up and comes to play in the NHL when he's at least 180 pounds. 

Glass was always a safe bet to be the next Scheiffele/Bergeron but Pettersson's ceiling is much higher, IMO one of the highest of the draft. He could end up being the best player of the top-15 but then so could Vilardi or Hirschier or Patrick. Props to Benning for the ballsy pick but lets hope it doesn't back-fire. We desperately need some size in our future top-6, even future top-9 now because right now it's just Virtanen and Horvat.

As for Pettersson himself, I hope he can go back to the top tier Swedish Elite League next season and score 0.5 PPG at least over there. Maybe give him some time in the AHL after that and break into the NHL as a 20-21 year old with Dahlen as a mentor (assuming Dahlen will be playing here by then). 

It'll be fun to watch Pettersson and Dahlen play in training camp together but oh boy do they need some muscle to play with them and clear some ice/space for them. Maybe Virtanen has his role all ready to go...

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Crazy how different the talk is of this kid on /r/Canucks on Reddit compared to here. It's so negative here with all of these experts. Over on Reddit, there's so much positive talk and hype around him, with people chiming in who've actually seen him play.

I'm pumped for Petts.

Finally, the level of salt on this forum when the "wrong player" is drafted is comparable to whining child. 

4 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

True - but he likely doesn't make the team for 3 years. Obviously the composition of the team will be vastly different then. Bo has surpassed expectaions to this point and Jake has underwhelmed. This is true of all our prospects that many rush to list as first liners.

Let's face it we will suck for 3-5 years or more. Let's not rush to judge individual prospects. Brock looks like he could be a Kesler or a Hodgson - we just don't know yet.

I don't understand why we didn't pick someone to play with Bo NOW

We HAVE one of the two most important pieces possible, today was our shot at the other one,

Why is Benning drafting for 3 years down the road? We aren't Detroit in 2009, trying to keep prospects far away until our vets retire, we need the best players we can get RIGHT NOW

Benning did not get us that, look at the scouting lists, he went off the board AGAIN, If he had a great track record of making gut picks then fine, but his gut picks are always WRONG

I repeat, he just did it again, it makes no sense, he did not give us the best chance at the best player

He did..........I don't know what the hell he's doing

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

It'll be fun to watch Pettersson and Dahlen play in training camp together but oh boy do they need some muscle to play with them and clear some ice/space for them. Maybe Virtanen has his role all ready to go...

If Virtanen can learn to play his game a little slower and get in the right spots, it might be a good fit with him and Petterson going forward. I do worry that he's a little too straight line to play with someone so cerebral though.

5 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

So you deny the existence of chemistry? Some players just play better with certain players and become linemates for years. It's not a difficult concept. Chemistry between linemates is a real thing.

Didn't exactly pan out for Eriksson and the Sedins! Sure players can have chemistry but it doesn't always transfer to higher leagues or different systems. I was really hoping for Glass but I'll admit that I didn't see or hear much about Pettersson. Hopeful that he pans out, but can't help but have that pit in my stomach that so many Cunucks fans have felt after poor draft selections.  

I thought Glass was a good fit for Vancouver but he was also a safe pick.  The actual pick that Canucks made is not a safe one but the ceiling is probably about as high as any player in the draft over their current baseline (e.g. room to actually grow).   Kid oozes skill, speed and smarts and his shootout moves are sick.   This pick will rub the instant gratification crowd the wrong way but I can see that Benning and his squad took at shot here and it appears he is going all in on high skill, speed etc.    

I would think those wanting Canucks to draft best available player in terms of upside, you probably are very happy tonight.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Glass comparison:  Schieffle and Linden

Vilardi Comparison:  Getzlaf and Tavares

Petterson, you're going to be at minimum a 4 year project and you're going to be weighed against them for the next 2 decades.

Good luck, welcome to Vancouver

Not my pick, but I can wait and see.  Vlardi dropped for a reason and Glass and Pettersson offer a comparable game, one will be better than the other, only time will tell.  I wanted Glass btw.  

5 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

I strongly disagree,

I feel he relies on his skating being so far ahead of his inferior competition that he is playing a game right now that will not be possible in the NHL. 

I think he may find himself in the AHL trying to re-build his entire game, I feel pretty strongly that's the case, and the Avs being what they are is why I laughed, in my mind he was the WORST choice.

But, I hope I'm wrong and the kid has a great career.

Stop calling it inferior competition.

he was the best player in his league

Best player in the Doyle cup (western canada)

best player in the RBC cup (all of canada)

best in the worlds for his league (that's world wide)

Makar is going to be fine

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Okay so we don't need anyone else?  Horvat is all we need 

Yeah dude, that's totally what I'm saying. It's not like we just drafted a high skill center or anything.

You don't necessarily need all your centers to be two-way guys. Glass would have been a nice pick for sure, but Horvat is a very similar breed of player and very young. You don't need all four guys down the middle to be the same.

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

All I pretty much see is people talking about Petersson's size. I still think most of our scouts should be pulled out of Sweden and put in the WHL so they know where most of the talented players come from. That being said...this pick has shades of regret from not picking Willie Nylander instead of Jake Virtanen all over it. What I REALLY like about this pick is he can come over to N.A, be assessed by the team, and then sent to Utica to play big minutes and have his diet monitored, so he can gain that size we all are so worried about him not getting. Maybe he can get some chemistry with Jake down on the farm and they can make the team together, properly.

Or more, Thomas Gradin saying "Take this kid!"

1 hour ago, BananaMash said:

Nor does Tkachuk playing one pretty good NHL season make him a better pick than a defender who is still developing.

Uh yes it does until proven otherwise.  He has proven he can play in the league, Juolevi has not.  You have it backwards. 

Once Juolevi proves to be a better NHL regular I will change my opinion and you will be "proven" correct.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Crazy how different the talk is of this kid on /r/Canucks on Reddit compared to here. It's so negative here with all of these experts. Over on Reddit, there's so much positive talk and hype around him, with people chiming in who've actually seen him play.

I'm pumped for Petts.

It's because CDC has "name-itis" when it comes to the draft. Basically, they hear a name a few times leading up to the draft and they think that's the guy the team should pick despite never watching these players play live. You will see it more tomorrow in the second and third rounds - more whining about how the Canucks should have taken the familiar name rather than support the team who have professionals that watch these players live on a regular basis. 

Edited by pluralsight
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, CanuckleSamich said:

Didn't exactly pan out for Eriksson and the Sedins! Sure players can have chemistry but it doesn't always transfer to higher leagues or different systems. I was really hoping for Glass but I'll admit that I didn't see or hear much about Pettersson. Hopeful that he pans out, but can't help but have that pit in my stomach that so many Cunucks fans have felt after poor draft selections. 

Sedins and Eriksson only had chemistry for short tournaments and in years prior when the Sedins were in their prime. 

Dahlen and Pettersson have played more together and are both going to get better with age.

Just now, Borvat said:

Uh yes it does until proven otherwise.

It doesn't though.

Let's at least wait until Juolevi hits the NHL before you start making "good/bad pick" calls. One year out from the draft is always too early. I'm not saying either is going to be better, but saying he was the wrong pick based on Draft+1 is stupid.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Certainly not as sour as I was with the Virtanen pick, but Pettersson will be interesting to watch pan out. Hopefully the Sedins hang around long enough to play with him and Dahlen because they'd be perfect mentors.

IMO Petterson is a high risk high reward pick and could be the next Backstrom/Datsyuk, or could completely fold and never be strong enough to defend and contend against the bigger centers of the West (Draisaitl, Glass, Vilardi, Couture etc.). It'll be a very tough environment for him to learn in so hopefully he beefs up and comes to play in the NHL when he's at least 180 pounds. 

Glass was always a safe bet to be the next Scheiffele/Bergeron but Pettersson's ceiling is much higher, IMO one of the highest of the draft. He could end up being the best player of the top-15 but then so could Vilardi or Hirschier or Patrick. Props to Benning for the ballsy pick but lets hope it doesn't back-fire. We desperately need some size in our future top-6, even future top-9 now because right now it's just Virtanen and Horvat.

As for Pettersson himself, I hope he can go back to the top tier Swedish Elite League next season and score 0.5 PPG at least over there. Maybe give him some time in the AHL after that and break into the NHL as a 20-21 year old with Dahlen as a mentor (assuming Dahlen will be playing here by then). 

Hopefully he produces more than a 0.5 ppg... he was nearly 1ppg in tier two.  

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

My point was we should of had  Nylander, Glass and Horvat not Petterson, Virtanen and Horvat.

Doesn't matter anyway.  end of convo

That's a silly point to make.

I should add that I also wanted Nylander, but it doesn't matter at this point.

Edited by BananaMash