The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

The Swedish touch continues. :)

Welcome to Vancouver, Elias Petterson! I was originally hoping for Cody Glass or Gabriel Vilardi but still an EXCELLENT pick. Scouting comparison: Henrik Zetterberg. His great chemistry with Jonathan Dahlén will continue in blue and green!

• Upvote 2

Just now, BananaMash said:

And Rasmussen going to Detroit.

This is a really hard draft to predict, and I doubt there was much value in trading down in terms of return.

Bingo. Regardless of what some rankings might say, in that 5-15 slot if your guy is there you don't have much choice but to take him. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, combover said:

150lbs he would last a shift in the NHL. He's the opposite of what this team needs we have Tall and tiny non physical players that get pushed around. Let's hope he can add about 5o lbs in three years. The report even says he fades away in physical games GREAT. The team the drafts after Vancouver must love benning they away get a pleasant surprise. 

It was a bad pick at 5 plan and simple. 

He's 18......... 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

He's 18......... 

Yeah, seriously. The 150lbs thing is a non-issue right now. We didn't pick him to play in the lineup next season. He's 18 and has tons of time to gain some muscle, especially with NHL professionals guiding his training.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Yeah, seriously. The 150lbs thing is a non-issue right now. We didn't pick him to play in the lineup next season. He's 18 and has tons of time to gain some muscle, especially with NHL professionals guiding his training.

What?? We didn't expect Elias to play next season with Dahlen?? So...  no fast track to rebuild??  

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  We need elite skill to replace Henrik, and this guy has that potential.  I like the pick.  

I agree, I don't think I woulda been upset with anyone they picked this year. 

None of us know what we're talking about as far as these prospects go.  I hope he turns out to be a top line C because we already have more than enough soft 2nd/3rd line forwards.  I'm not concerned about his size, the NHL is all about skill/speed now.  

Edited by CanadianRugby
  • Upvote 1

toews, crosby, mcdavid to a certain extent and even our own henrik sedin are around the same height and not a really bulky guy. Due to their elite skill they are/were stars. if he gains 20-25lbs he will just be fine. Honestly everyone saying he has a great work ethic. If that is true then that weight won't be that big of the deal. he already played in a mens league, hopefully he goes straight into the AHL.

I trust Benning.

glass would of been ok but viradri is just so slow. like he got intense skill but he would be useless with his pace. 

strenght can be gained, pace can worked upon and improved but are either super fast or slow. maybe a slow person can become average but he/she will never be super fast at least from my life/personal experience.

• Upvote 1