The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

51 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Over Vilardi and Glass? Fire Benning please. 

Uh, sure.   No one can judge a draft for at least two or three years and then only for some of the players.   This pick seems to be an aggressive one as upside is massive but risk too that he doesn't develop physically.   This is like the Leaf's picking Nylander kind of move.   Nylander was also "too soft, too small" and yet this draft by Canucks will actually be bigger likely.   Anyway, I wanted Glass too but that was a safe pick.   I did not want Vilardi - he is not impressing me at all.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Dahlen - Petterson -

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Gaudette - Virtanen

Why do people keep putting Dahlen on a first line in the NHL.   He was Ottawa's fifth best prospect and the jury is out that this guy will ever make NHL.   He would be lucky to come close to any of the other names you have on your "lines" in terms of making AHL/NHL.

4 minutes ago, b3. said:

It's a bummer that he won't play for Utica next year. 

Sorry don't have time to read all the posts.

HAs that been announced already, because I heard people were excited that he and Dahlen (sp?) might play together in Utica.

Sorry I don't have time to research. If you could reply I would really appreciate!!

Thanks.

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, sure.   No one can judge a draft for at least two or three years and then only for some of the players.   This pick seems to be an aggressive one as upside is massive but risk too that he doesn't develop physically.   This is like the Leaf's picking Nylander kind of move.   Nylander was also "too soft, too small" and yet this draft by Canucks will actually be bigger likely.   Anyway, I wanted Glass too but that was a safe pick.   I did not want Vilardi - he is not impressing me at all.

Well I wanted Nylander in 2014 and was vocal about it. I would have liked size down the middle with Vilardi or Glass. Hopefully Petterson fills out and becomes a star...  he looks like stiff wind could blow him over.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the kid needs some of Jake's summer '16 diet.

Super skinny, but crazy skilled.. shoot for the moon, Elias, we need you to be great!

Hopefully the twins can combine their powers into one and transfer it to the new Swedekin. Go Canucks!

I don't think anybody here is denying his skill. The dude has the offensive tools and the hockey IQ to be a great top line player in this league.

However, the body has to be able to transfer those skills. If you get pushed down every time you're near the puck, it's going to be pretty difficult to use those offensive skills.

• Upvote 1

Elias is a very good pick once you take a look at his production and comparables. Not even remotely close in questionability as the Virtanen pick, especially when you consider that he can partner up with Dahlen in the AHL very soon. Hope he fills out and succeeds.

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why do people keep putting Dahlen on a first line in the NHL.   He was Ottawa's fifth best prospect and the jury is out that this guy will ever make NHL.   He would be lucky to come close to any of the other names you have on your "lines" in terms of making AHL/NHL.

I watched some of his play after we traded for him and he is a puck hound with a nose for the net. I wouldn't put it past him. He has that as his ceiling.

Edited by canuckledraggin

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Elias is a very good pick once you take a look at his production and comparables. Not even remotely close in questionability as the Virtanen pick, especially when you consider that he can partner up with Dahlen in the AHL very soon. Hope he fills out and succeeds.

At 5?

I'd say there's some questions

44 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Over Vilardi and Glass? Fire Benning please. 

This guy was a 10-15 pick

Why did we spend #5 on him??

Is every single scouting service who has proved Bening wrong in the past with his flight of fancy first rounders, wrong .......yet again??

THIS time Bening knew better than they did?

We may have gotten a good player, but we didn't get the BEST PLAYER POSSIBLE, and this guy is reallly really skinny......another, "Oh, wait till he...." pick?

Why can't we pick the guys EVERYONE says are better, and physically prepared to play in the league that THIS team plays in.

Benning is not a smart man, I've watched it for years now, he should be filling scouting reports from remote arenas for a real GM to read, 

This guy cannot do the simplest things right, and I'm sooooo sick of it

Petterson may be good, just like Joulevi might be good....but they aren't the BEST AVAILLABLE, I feel like Benning wants to make these of the board picks to "Get his scout on" not to stock this team with the best players possible.

A general manager should not say while looking into a camera "We don't got no defensemen" An executive who can't even structure a sentence can't be expected to make sound decisions, being an assistant GM doesn't mean all that much, many GM's keep thier "Road dogs" around, to help them deal with the job (Nonis)  it does not mean they are qualified GM's

Benning is in way over his head, has been for years, and I don't understand why Trev (Who does not lack intelligence) supports it.

Again, might well be a good player, but wasn't our best shot at success.....what else is there to say, that hasn't already been said,

This has been such a weird 4 years......like a mixture of Keenan and Nonis.......I don't know, whatever.....It's not my team, maybe Aqua needs to lose money through the team to qualify for other tax shelters......whatever......it's so lame now, it's not even worth being ruffled over.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3