The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'm serious Vilardi will be the best player from the draft. Glass would have been better as well. Benning sucks. 

He is able to wow you with his ability to score high-lite reel goals and his skating is excellent. His puck skills are fantastic and he has a high hockey IQ. He makes use of his great hockey sense in many facets of the game and it shows up with his creativity and the way he makes great passes out of nowhere. We love that he can both score and pass the puck to help create plays. He’s one of the best thinkers in the draft class and when you combine that with his skill it creates a very desirable package.

Ya, why would anyone want that right?

<_<

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 3

I was surprised by this pick. The guy was completely off my radar for the fifth overall pick because of his size. I'm sure JB had seen something in this kid that moved him up past Glass and Vilardi. I think it may have to do with this kids' work ethic, tenacity, heart and soul and the fact that this kid is an elite offensive talent.

Something that people don't seem to look at enough is the fact that not only is this guy a high end offensive talent "Nylander esque", but unlike Nylander, he plays all 3 zones very well. His coach said something along the lines of "He finds solutions on the ice that only he could think of"

My speculation:

JB saw a kid with a high ceiling and a tenacious work ethic and amazing hockey IQ. In other words, this guy has all the intangibles of a successful NHL player that can't be taught, except size (You can add size but it only goes so far). 

Having said that, he may not be as much of a risky pick as we may think. A project for sure, but not necessarily a risk.

On a side note: His style is apparently reminiscent of Henrik Zetterburg. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

He is able to wow you with his ability to score high-lite reel goals and his skating is excellent. His puck skills are fantastic and he has a high hockey IQ. He makes use of his great hockey sense in many facets of the game and it shows up with his creativity and the way he makes great passes out of nowhere. We love that he can both score and pass the puck to help create plays. He’s one of the best thinkers in the draft class and when you combine that with his skill it creates a very desirable package.

Ya, why would anyone want that right?

<_<

If there's anything as sure as rain in Vancouver, it's that people will be pissed about the Canucks' first round selection in the draft, every year.  Usually it's a good sign, if people are mad.  Means it'll actually be a good player. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

This just makes the Virtanen pick look that much worse.  We could of had Nylander + Glass now we have Petterson + Virtanen

I wanted Makar or Glass, but Peterson is by no means a bad pick.

You realize Pettersson is better than Nylander in their draft year right, and id take Virtanen over Glass. Stop complaining for the sake of complaining. If we had takem Nylander you would be crying for homeboy Virtanen and ramble on about how we needed size because the Bruins bullied us in 2011.. 

Welcome to Vancouver Pettersson, where you get no love until you become a star

Edited by Hortankin
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

If there's anything as sure as rain in Vancouver, it's that people will be pissed about the Canucks' first round selection in the draft, every year.  Usually it's a good sign, if people are mad.  Means it'll actually be a good player. 

Lol. I know right? I remember the same reaction for Boeser. After the following season , he was dubbed the best nhl prospect not playing in the NHL. Lol

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

According to the preds site he's 6 foot 2....162 pounds....

Just in case no one's posted it yet, here's his combine height and weight:

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

It's just some posters unhappy with the pick trying to make it look worse by saying he's only 150lbs.

EDIT: I hadn't caught up to all the terrible terrible.dee posts when I made this earlier. Wow, and I thought people trolling the 150lbs thing was going to be the worst it'd get...

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

I dont have a problem with the pick.  This guy does have strong potential to be an elite player.  He obviously must gain weight but I'm nearly positive that will happen.  A strong future-looking prospect, and one who is likely to be a good if not great part of a Dahlen duo.

I didn't read the whole 19 pages to see if it was mentioned but my only beef is that we didnt move down.  It is highly unlikely that he would have gone at this pick to most teams, and imo it would have been worth a gamble to move down a few spots when there were clearly several players available who would be picked first by more teams.  For sure there would be interest from other teams.  Might have got a 2nd pick out of it.

We picked this guy over Glass? Wow. Kid looks like a twig. 

I'm not a fan of this pick. Did not want him. 

I can see why we took him but he's 2-3 years away minimum. High risk/reward

Edited by Jiggs50
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1