The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If he's playing with Dahlen in Sweden next year, hopefully it will be possible to stream a few of their games.

I'm hoping dahlen is in Utica next season.  H needs to get onto the smaller ice playing and growing with his future teammates

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

As for the Pettersson selection, I'm excited, the kids seems to have potential and I fully trust Benning's judgement on picking him over other available center.

My only worry is I'm hoping his selection is not Benning trying to correct a past mistake with another mistake. 

In 2014, when he selected Virtanen he went with the red hot scoring winger, local boy, with speed and grit, over the more talented, smaller euros (Nylander, Ehlers), which at the time I supported too, as I thought even though Virtanen might not get as many points as these guy, he would still score a lot of goals and would have a bigger impact on the team, especially in the playoffs.  Still time for virtanen to turn it around, but doesn't look good.

Now this year, we went in the opposite direction, we selected the more skilled player, even though he's taller than Nylander or Ehlers but really thin frame, passing on the local boy Glass and big gritty scoring center Vilardi.

Like I said I fully trust Benning, I'm excited with the pick, and hopefully he will reach his potential.

it does look good, actually.  His development is on track

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

...and now we watch as Virt starts to 'get it' just as we're drafting higher end skill guys who'll probably be ready in a couple years and they all mesh nicely together to form the next core ::D

*crosses fingers*

To be quite honest, that really isn't too far-fetched of an idea. Has Virtanen ever really played with a true play-making centre?

1 hour ago, Shiftynifty said:

To be quite honest, that really isn't too far-fetched of an idea. Has Virtanen ever really played with a true play-making centre?

He played with McDavid during the World Junior's. Had no problem keeping up with McDavid.

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Are we really already arguing who we should pick next year???  Yes Dahlin is the consensus #1 right now....but so was Nolan Patrick last year, while Hischier started the year outside the top 15.   Liljegren was labelled as 2nd pick who could challenge Patrick and ended up being picked 17th.

Before we argue who should we pick, can we wait and see if Dahlin is still number? can we wait if another elite player emerges? can we wait to see where we finish?, can we wait to see if we win the lottery?

A little early for...we should do that...or we should do this....what we should do is wait and see.  People arguing we are stacked up front and must focus on D, what if Boeser has a crappy year, are we still deep up front?  What if another players emerges from nowhere at forward or at D, this will change everything. 

Just think it's a little early to be planning out next year's draft strategy.

Not every player is going to be in the same position a year later. I knew McDavid was the real deal at 15 years old, but Chychrun went lower than his real deal status. I had Barzal going next to McDavid and didn't know too much about College Hockey. 

Dahlin the real deal isn't concrete evidence yet, but I'm confident he is and he's not moving much.

18 hours ago, J.R. said:

Middle of a rebuild. 

Not sure why so many can't seem to grasp that.

Last year people were complaining we didn't have enough offensive forward prospects too. 

Who said I didn't grasp that? Our defence is a ways a way and so is our forward group and I realize that it will take time. Like I said if ev pans out that's fantastic, but it may not with all of these kids as much as Id love for it to. Our prospects group has gotten much better though which is incredible moving forward.

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If you ask them, they'll probably just say that, unlike the rest of, they're "realists" and don't look through "rose tinted glasses" like the rest of us do.

I'd rather look through rose colored glasses than $&!# colored glasses.

I don't look through any sort of glasses.  I like a few teams more than others and am a realist that teams go through peaks and valleys.   Sometimes the valley part is the most exciting as you get to see more competition from prospects etc.   I can enjoy the entire ride.  I have played for champions and teams that missed playoffs and took something positive from both - sure it is more fun to win than lose but you can only know that if you lose once in a while.   The Canuck franchise was perennial 100 plus points for a long while there and now they are not - it happens.   Next wave ride to the top could be better, or not, but I think it will be fun to watch.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

The statement is true, so what exactly have I done wrong here? 

A Vancouver Canucks fan base with some negative comments littering the online forum from time to time?   How can this be?  Such a storied franchise with such an embarrassment of riches when it comes to accolades, winning and smart decisions.  

I'm passionate, unbiased, and yes I am a realist^.  If you don't want to hear what I have to say, well I'm sorry that you feel this way.  

Don't waste your time trying to convert me into one of those "Oh wow look at this kid we just drafted in the 7th round!  he's definitely going to be a legit NHL'er one day"  or a "Cassels is totally going to shutdown McDavid when he's playing on our 2nd line" type of fans.

The first clue that someone is incredibly biased.... they claim to be unbiased. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Upvote 4