The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Dahlen and Pettersson will be replacing the Sedins....maybe as early as 2018/19....I will make a call for 2019/20 though, I say they are the top line ( with Brock or Jake or between Horvat ) by then.

It should only take one more year to gain 10-15 Lbs. for both of them....from there all they need is a bit more jump in their feet and some work on their shot's.

They already have the skills and most of the skating ability.

A year together in the SHL could see them develop similar chemistry to what the Sedins have and they are already better skater's and more dynamic players.

If the Sedins don't have a bounce back year and end up with 3rd line minutes for the last half of the year....they will retire after this year.

The only way the Sedins can reasonably bounce back is with Goldy or Brock coming up HUGE as well as the whole D. improving substantially  ( I know injuries were huge last year but....Larsen....really? )

The call with or without the Sedins being there is :

2019/2020 Canucks:

Dahlen / Pettersson / Boeser or Goldy

Baer  /  Horvat /  Rodin or Goldy        ( if Goldy can't cut the first 2 lines he is down the road with Eriksson )

Granny / Gaudette / Jake  or Rodin

Gaunce /  Sutter /  MacEwen or Jake

Molino

Juolevi / Stecher

Hutton / Gudbranson

Holm /  Tanev

McEneny / Tryamkin (wishful thinking)

....now if that happened a year earlier we would really have something cookin'....

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Player comparison: Ryan Johansen?  That's a little strange seeing as how Johansen is about 50 pounds heavier 

I think Button was convinced that we were taking Glass instead and still used the comparison video for Petterson..

What does weight have to do with skill and playing style similarity? 

People need to give up this weight thing.

• Upvote 1

Because he is playing in Sweden next year and there is probably at least one player selected in the draft behind him that will play a few shifts or more in NHL next year, can we label him a bust yet? I mean thats how it worked for OJ.

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Because he is playing in Sweden next year and there is probably at least one player selected in the draft behind him that will play a few shifts or more in NHL next year, can we label him a bust yet? I mean thats how it worked for OJ.

I'm still holding onto hope that us fans are more patient this year.

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You don't think a player who weighs 220 pounds has a different playing style than a player who weighs 185?

The 2 don't correlate at all. Look at Derek Dorsett and look at Joe Thornton. You can't always assume the heavier player is the heavy hitting, gritty play while

the smaller guys aren't. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm comparing a skilled player to another skilled player.  Thornton is a large bodied playmaker who can protect the puck better than anyone, are there any 180 pound playmakers who play like Joe?  

From the footage you have seen of Elias, do you think he plays like Ryan Johansen? 

Tyler Johnson, Backstrom, Krejci, St.Louis to name a few...

I haven't seen Pettersson shoot the puck enough to give him that comparison. He seems more like a disher. I see him as a guy who knows how plays will unfold and choose the best option always. He's going to make his wingers score a lot of goals basically. 

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Based on what little I know, it's a harder league to score in than the CHL.

Maybe it's just the defenders in some of the highlights then that needs quite a bit of work? Some of them are neither physical nor fast and there are times when he's completely left open or the positioning's quite poor. Reminds me of Makar's competition.

Edited by vinny_in_vancouver

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Maybe it's just the defenders in some of the highlights then that needs quite a bit of work? Some of them are neither physical nor fast and there are times when he's completely left open. Reminds me of Makar's competition.

Just for a little perspective, the top scorer in that league (Victor Ejdsell) had 57 points in 50 games.

5 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Maybe it's just the defenders in some of the highlights then that needs quite a bit of work? Some of them are neither physical nor fast and there are times when he's completely left open or the positioning's quite poor. Reminds me of Makar's competition.

Larger ice surface can make it seem that way.   I have watched this league live many times and it is good hockey - top CHL team would perhaps make playoffs but most likely not.   The scoring is not very high and the pace is frenetic - not much trapping or other defensive zone strategies but for some reason, even when shot totals are high, scores are not that high.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

one of the dinguses on the sportsnet panel said it after we picked him lol

I noticed that as well. The dingus said he was "bit of a perimeter player" if I remember correctly. He's elusive though and has the ability to lose coverage with his hands and feet. Nothing to be worried about kids got lots of room to develop.