The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Looks like Pettersson will be the rookie this year that'll be called Captain Second Assist.  I wouldn't be opposed to having him be as good as Barzal last year though.

He's going to make no shortage of plays to guys with open nets to shoot at.  As for the PP, could easily see him getting 30-40 points on it alone this year.  He doesn't even know his teammates yet and once he does and gets comfortable in the league he's going to be able to get more creative and start really making things happen, which will then open up lanes for his shot.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I don't think he plays center to start the year, faceoffs still need a lot of work. Can see him moving to center half way through the season due to injury.

EP won 50% of his FO's and his defensive play with his stick work getting to pucks and knocking them off opposing players sticks...and the way he controls the center of the ice tells me he will be playing center and killing it to boot....!

Even if he only wins 40% of the FO's...with winger wins and his tenacity they will just get the puck back again anyway.

If EP puts his mind to it he will become a great FO guy in time anyway....

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

He's going to make no shortage of plays to guys with open nets to shoot at.  As for the PP, could easily see him getting 30-40 points on it alone this year.  He doesn't even know his teammates yet and once he does and gets comfortable in the league he's going to be able to get more creative and start really making things happen, which will then open up lanes for his shot.

Yeah, the PP has looked far from 'crisp' so far and hasn't even had it's full complement together as yet (I'm looking at you Hutton) and has still been productive (albeit preseason). And yes, he still looks very much to be in the 'feeling it out' phase. He's going to get more comfortable :)

Expect it to only get better. 

Then we add Hughes next year B)

Edited by aGENT

11 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I think he will be a power play savant from the get go and will steadily rack up points. 5 on 5 success will come eventually, but I predict growing pains. When other teams realize how he will kill them on the PP, I can see them making an extra effort to lay the body on him. He’s pretty slippery and quick, but you could see tonight he was getting buffeted about some, falling down a fair bit. The fans will likely be more upset than him. He’s a baby faced assassin. 5 on 5 success will come...but when? Perhaps from the get go, who knows? I’d be delighted to be wrong on this. Will be fun to watch this kid develop before our eyes over the coming years.

And Quinn is coming.

Wouldn’t worry about 5on5 success he hasn’t been bad and he has fed some people for high quality scoring chances and they just failed to bury it

Edited by Dats hockey
Edit: only thing I’m disappointed in was the shootout effort I was expecting something flashy

13 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

EP won 50% of his FO's and his defensive play with his stick work getting to pucks and knocking them off opposing players sticks...and the way he controls the center of the ice tells me he will be playing center and killing it to boot....!

Even if he only wins 40% of the FO's...with winger wins and his tenacity they will just get the puck back again anyway.

If EP puts his mind to it he will become a great FO guy in time anyway....

I think he was put on the wing near the end of last game, in his interview he said because he wasnt winning draws and needs more practice.

He will get there but might need a couple months. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

On 19/09/2018 at 1:59 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

Hope for the best.... buddy.

maybe i was rude calling you buddy i apolgize, all i mean is a player who is capable of leading the entire team in points this year definitely doesnt belong in the ahl. He belongs in the show. He looks like he is the most talented player on either team in both games played ao far and honestly for the most parr i expect that to continue into the regular season. Just no way a player like that gets sent down

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

maybe i was rude calling you buddy i apolgize, all i mean is a player who is capable of leading the entire team in points this year definitely doesnt belong in the ahl. He belongs in the show. He looks like he is the most talented player on either team in both games played ao far and honestly for the most parr i expect that to continue into the regular season. Just no way a player like that gets sent down

No need to apologize at all. I do appreciate it though. I grew up with guys that use “buddy” as an insult so it does trigger me a bit and you probably didn’t mean it that way anyway so it should be i that apologizes. And I do agree with you on the skill I guess I am just overly worried that we don’t have too many guys with the ability or willingness to push back when it gets dirty out there and I think other teams know that and will try to rough him up a bit. I do hope I am wrong though.

cheers!

15 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

I can't recall the first team, but the LA team that was iced was pretty weak. It had a handful of their better players. Didn't have any of their top 3 players. So being the most talented player on the ice that game isn't as impressive as it sounds. 

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I don't think he plays center to start the year, faceoffs still need a lot of work. Can see him moving to center half way through the season due to injury.

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think he was put on the wing near the end of last game, in his interview he said because he wasnt winning draws and needs more practice.

He will get there but might need a couple months. 

Ye, he looked good with Bo. Geen might just stack that 1st line. Pettersson - Bo - Boeser.

Edited by J-23

Small sample size to work with but stats for the last 3 preseason games in the face off circle are as follows: Pettersson .315, Horvat .542, Gagner .667, Granlund .500, Sutter .600, Gaunce .462, Gaudette .400, and Beagle .473. I am hoping that Pettersson and Gaudette can improve that part of their game over the next few outings. Time will tell.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BrazilianCanuck said:

Elias is such a joy to watch. Responsible defensively, and make plays out of nowhere. His passes are tape-to-tape. We're fortunate to have him in our (projected) roster

He created a takeaway while making a line change by kicking his leg out. I haven’t seen that before. 

His two way take away ability shows his IQ and ability to anticipate pick movement. The guy is thinking the plays ahead of everyone else on the ice, with or without the puck.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

A bit surprised not to see Virtanen or someone similar on his line even for a few shifts, as LA was hacking, whacking and knocking him about a fair bit last night. But he took it like a champ and kept on trucking to another 2 points. 

IMO I think Green might be testing his mettle. If Pettersson cannot handle preseason physical play and get thru it, he isn’t ready yet. 

Come the regualr season, I would expect things to be adjusted.  

So, let's see.....3 assists in 2 games. If this was regular season, Elias would be on pace for 123 assists lol

But no goals :(

I think he'll be just fine. I did notice some Kings players taking liberties with him, cross checks to the back of the head etc. But that's the league now. Gone are the "Semenkos" to protect they stars. Players mostly have to fend for themselves, which is what makes the Sedins' careers so impressive. They were picked on and abused, but they kept getting back up. And to get back at them they would score, and make the other team look silly while doing so. I can see Elias with the same temperament. He'll take some abuse and handle it quietyly, but if he gets P'd off, payback will come in goals. Lots of goals. And he'll make them look silly while doing so. :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, let's see.....3 assists in 2 games. If this was regular season, Elias would be on pace for 123 assists lol

But no goals :(

I think he'll be just fine. I did notice some Kings players taking liberties with him, cross checks to the back of the head etc. But that's the league now. Gone are the "Semenkos" to protect they stars. Players mostly have to fend for themselves, which is what makes the Sedins' careers so impressive. They were picked on and abused, but they kept getting back up. And to get back at them they would score, and make the other team look silly while doing so. I can see Elias with the same temperament. He'll take some abuse and handle it quietyly, but if he gets P'd off, payback will come in goals. Lots of goals. And he'll make them look silly while doing so. :)

If he ever gets regular ice time with Boeser teams are in trouble. Boeser yesterday drawed a bunch of players towards him during the game, leaving others open to move in and get open. Pettersson and Boeser will be able to work together as a duo in my minds, but yesterday was still a testing phase

• Upvote 2