The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

We are getting to the point now when the drop off from the guy injured to the replacement will be less and less in the next few years though.  Was a long drop off this year with no Horvat and no Sutter.  Unfortunately I am not sure center gets much deeper next year.  But wing and defence and goalie should have competent replacements next year.  

Edited by TGT68
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

See this is what I am talking about.  Boeser would not of benefited at all in Utica, he 'slowed down' because he was playing with anyone healthy enough to tie their skates on(aka players not on his level) and he was also injured.  And when he 'slowed down' he was still one of the top scorers on this team.  Injuries are going to happen, you can't hide players from that moreover playing in the minors isn't going make you anymore immune to injuries in the NHL. 

some time in Utica would have had no negative effect on his game.  It may have, however, allowed him training time and allowed his body to better withstand the grind of an NHL season however, we'll never know.  My point is every bit as valid as yours.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Craig Button thinks of us as the next oiler team of the 80s. They're are apparently some very skilled smaller pmd offensive d men in the first 40 picks. Good chance one of them slides to us in the second round. One was formerly a forwards just adjusting to the d game in jr.  Heard on 650 from one of the main NHL draft writers. Constantino I believe?

K’andre Miller I believe you’re talking about. He’s big and not really a PMD. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

K’andre Miller I believe you’re talking about. He’s big and not really a PMD. 

Didn’t K’andre Miller have the highest ppg of all draft eligible defenders with the formula that averaged out all the different leagues like CHL SEL etc?  

Merkley would also be hanging around at that point. He put up way less points than Bouchard, but he is small and fast so his PMD status is still good.  

Plus think of all the top d men who were picked in the second. 

Keith, Webber, Subban Etc...  

toungue and cheek 

Maybe we should trade our first and get more seconds and draft every defender in the second round.  

EmW

22 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

See this is what I am talking about.  Boeser would not of benefited at all in Utica, he 'slowed down' because he was playing with anyone healthy enough to tie their skates on(aka players not on his level) and he was also injured.  And when he 'slowed down' he was still one of the top scorers on this team.  Injuries are going to happen, you can't hide players from that moreover playing in the minors isn't going make you anymore immune to injuries in the NHL. 

As well, if Brock had experienced the "college boy not used to the long season" slowdown narrative, it would have been little different than in Utica where they play only 6 fewer games, albeit with less air travel although long periods on buses are no better.

54 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Didn’t K’andre Miller have the highest ppg of all draft eligible defenders with the formula that averaged out all the different leagues like CHL SEL etc?  

Merkley would also be hanging around at that point. He put up way less points than Bouchard, but he is small and fast so his PMD status is still good.  

toungue and cheek 

Maybe we should trade our first and get more seconds and draft every defender in the second round.  

EmW

Merkely had the highest scoring-chance-assists of all draft eliguble defensemen in the CHL this year, over twice as many as the next player. But hes small and weak defensively and has supposed attitude problems which is why he dropped. Imo hes worth trading up from our 2nd round pick to get though. He has erik karlsson offensive potential but he also may become a  jordan subban type player. Huge boom or bust type of guy

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

so a different opinion on EP is wrong, or somehow people taking a cautious, wait and see approach are somehow not as hyped on EP?

I am saying that people need to realize that we have 3 guys coming in that are all better than Vessey or Will Butcher and one that is better than Johnny Hockey...

All those guys came into the league with as much or more hype as AG or JD but Johnny Hockey is the only guy who might be better than those 2....EP is so obviously ahead of Johnny boy that it's is already laughable to compare them...even though EP is yet to set foot on NA ice....

He makes it look like he is taking candy from a baby...the way he strips pucks and makes defenders cry...and goalies shake in there boots...

There is zero need to temper expectations with EP and I won't be eating these words...the kid is a phenom...even if he is an alien...

• Like 1

there's absolutely nothing wrong with people having different opinions.  I still say Boeser would have benefitted from some time in Utica, as the season ground on him pretty hard and by February, you could see that he wasn't as effective as he was from Oct-Dec.  Your opinion is no more valid than mine or anyone else's and it would be great if we didn't shout people down or ridicule........form any side of an argument. 

That's what Americans do, we're better than that

By February, do you mean when the Canucks were a mash unit? They were the Comets!

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Benning just confirmed Elias Pettersson is joining Team Sweden at the World Championships.

As per Ben Kuzma.

Here's the tweet:

Pettersson joins Anders Nilsson on Team Sweden. Juolevi will attend Finland's tryout camp.  Bo Horvat will also represent Team Canada.

When he could sit in the press box and watch? 

some time in Utica would have had no negative effect on his game.  It may have, however, allowed him training time and allowed his body to better withstand the grind of an NHL season however, we'll never know.  My point is every bit as valid as yours.

Except your forgetting one thing. He was ready for the NHL. Players can get hurt in Utica also, in fact its a whack and hack league, Players don't need the AHL when they are ready for the NHL. The more the NHL changes the more you will see young players dominate or fit in quickly.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

There is zero need to temper expectations with EP and I won't be eating these words...the kid is a phenom...even if he is an alien...

I believe alien would describe the twins the best...

But really, I would tend to agree.  He's minimum 2nd line material imo, but most likely 1st line given his skill and style of play. And I do think he has a very high potential of being a true elite player for us; he has excelled at everything he has done and has the drive to push himself hard to do so.  I'd venture to say I believe he is the best prospect we've had since Bure, and maybe ever.  Very exciting for a 5th OA selection; Benning did really well on this one.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I believe alien would describe the twins the best...

But really, I would tend to agree.  He's minimum 2nd line material imo, but most likely 1st line given his skill and style of play. And I do think he has a very high potential of being a true elite player for us; he has excelled at everything he has done and has the drive to push himself hard to do so.  I'd venture to say I believe he is the best prospect we've had since Bure, and maybe ever.  Very exciting for a 5th OA selection; Benning did really well on this one.

Hit it out of the park..but Gaudette, Lind and Gadjovich are also feather's in his cap and Virtanen and Juolevi may well prove to be the best players available where they were picked....

JB is getting better every year...can't wait to see what he comes up with this year...!

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Hit it out of the park..but Gaudette, Lind and Gadjovich are also feather's in his cap and Virtanen and Juolevi may well prove to be the best players available where they were picked....

JB is getting better every year...can't wait to see what he comes up with this year...!

Considering it could be the last opportunity to draft this high with these odds, they likely want to make it really count.

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Not sure how tongue & cheek this was? I think it was, so don't take this as a personal attack.

It has been mathematically more & more proven as a disastrous strategy. Teams like Anaheim, who have been taking guys like Lindholm, Fowler, Theodore have made people take notice & start selecting D if they want one? Heskainen did not slip to the 3rd round because he was 5'10'' last year. Scouting has started noticing that a thoroughbred athlete in a D man might be available, when a high scoring forward who is just not as fast, or strong, example Shinkaruk, might be worth passing on? The trend where good D slip has been marginally reduced almost every year for 10 years now? 

Each year you can project 21 or 22 First rounders to play 200 games. 3 or 4 more 100 games? 5 or 6 top line, top pair & two, maybe 3 perennial all stars? Two true ''top'' players, like Malkin, twice every 3 or 4 years? In the second round 10 or 11 players will hit 200 games? One, maybe 2 regular all stars & a top player every odd or three years? And funny enough, six or seven years post draft; even guys who made squads from the late 2knd round and after are starting to struggle to stay in the league. Where most 1st rounders who wore NHL jerseys seem to stick? It is because, on average, they were better athletes and hockey players to start with. In the third round just 3 maybe 4 guys make 200 games? 1 guy might play some all star games? In the later rounds, 1, sometimes 3 guys make the NHL? From all the later rounds, 1 still seems to emerge as an all star?

In 2011 4 guys who have been top pairing D were selected in the first round. Joel Edmundson, a top 4 guy, is the only D of note in the 2knd round. And the best picks of the 2knd round were John Gibson & Nikita Kucherov. In the 3rd round Klas Dahlbeck was the most successful D selected with 170 games & 23 points? There were zero D of note (Nesterov?) in the 4th & 5th rounds. Josh Manson, who is big and can skate, was selected in the 6th. Waiting till a late round can leave a whole generation without D prospects.

Some years only 7 or 8 D make it from the entire draft?  In 2009 it was a better year. 7 very good D men were taken in the first round. Two pretty good defenders, Dumoulin & Dimitri Orlov, were taken in the 2knd. But, hell yes, pass on OEL, Hedman, Calvin De Haan...    Well? 2009 may have been the year scouting also notice. It was ten years ago. Tyson Barrie, Ekholm & Brayden McNabb were still available in the 3rd and later rounds. But that was then. And even then, only 16 of 120 picks played 200 games. But bank on the 3 of 120 that became stud D men?  

Yet here on CDC every pundit, genius GM wannabe, is going to pull a Duncan Keith out after the first, or in a later round every year.

It is a statistical certainty, isn't it!   

• Upvote 3