The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Mrs. Alf and I made a point of watching the Oilers every time we could, when they came to town those years.  Gretzky was terrible below the dots in his own end.  Messier was by far the better overall player.  

Yeah ok Alf:picard:

Messier played like 300 more games than Gretzky and Gretzkys plus /minus is still double+ his, plus Gretzky would get the top checkers on him

You don't need to play defence if you always have the puck, and teams are just playing defence on you

The best defense is his offense !

LOL He was Never a liability on the ice, If you scored while he was on, he would take it personally,and score 3 against you . He was just that driven

For those who talk about defense back then, the leagues top plus/minus are Robinson, Orr and Bourque, with Robinson way out front

As I stated it is hard to compare athletes in ANY sport of different eras, as athletes evolve

People like Orr, Gretzky,Jordan and Brady were miles ahead of their PEERS

Now back to our current star EP40

I hope he is a star on this team for at least 15 years

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Yeah ok Alf:picard:

Messier played like 300 more games than Gretzky and Gretzkys plus /minus is still double+ his, plus Gretzky would get the top checkers on him

You don't need to play defence if you always have the puck, and teams are just playing defence on you

The best defense is his offense !

LOL He was Never a liability on the ice, If you scored while he was on, he would take it personally,and score 3 against you . He was just that driven

For those who talk about defense back then, the leagues top plus/minus are Robinson, Orr and Bourque, with Robinson way out front

As I stated it is hard to compare athletes in ANY sport of different eras, as athletes evolve

People like Orr, Gretzky,Jordan and Brady were miles ahead of their PEERS

Now back to our current star EP40

I hope he is a star on this team for at least 15 years

Slap yourself silly, but Messier was a far more complete player than Gretzky.  Wayne was the greatest the game will ever see offensively, but he didn’t play below his dots.  What did Wayne accomplish without Messier?  

Now, EP has Gretzky like offensive skills, but he adds a passion to compete defensively that Wayne lacked.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Those comparing Pettersson to Gretzky, probably never really watched Gretzky play when he did, or they forget. He was so much better than everyone on the planet, I remember we had to exclude him from our hockey pools back in the 80s (lol) When the best league in the world retires a jersey number of one player, never to be used again, that's saying something.

Pettersson is a marvel, but he's no Gretzky.

Yes, Enough said

The ONLY number to be retired by the league

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Those comparing Pettersson to Gretzky, probably never really watched Gretzky play when he did, or they forget. He was so much better than everyone on the planet, I remember we had to exclude him from our hockey pools back in the 80s (lol) When the best league in the world retires a jersey number of one player, never to be used again, that's saying something.

Boys in HF boards beg to differ

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Slap yourself silly, but Messier was a far more complete player than Gretzky.  Wayne was the greatest the game will ever see offensively, but he didn’t play below his dots.  What did Wayne accomplish without Messier?  

Now, EP has Gretzky like offensive skills, but he adds a passion to compete defensively that Wayne lacked.  

Gretzky won the scoring title 3 times without Messier, the last being when he was 33.  He also took an average LA team to the final and almost won the Cup.  How many players have won the scoring title at age 33?  Messier still had a loaded team in Edmonton even without Gretzky.  Even in New York he had a powerful team.  He did nothing when he came to Vancouver except float around.  Gretzky was a +520 in his NHL career, Messier was a +211, huge difference.  Gretzky also holds the record for most shorthanded goals in NHL history with 73, Messier is second with 63.  So Gretzky was dominant on the penalty kill, even more dominant than Messier.

Messier needed Gretzky just as much as Gretzky needed Messier.  They worked hand in hand.  If it wasn't for McSorley's stick and Patrick Roy's brilliance Gretzky would have won multiple cups in LA.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gretzky won the scoring title 3 times without Messier, the last being when he was 33.  He also took an average LA team to the final and almost won the Cup.  How many players have won the scoring title at age 33?  Messier still had a loaded team in Edmonton even without Gretzky.  Even in New York he had a powerful team.  He did nothing when he came to Vancouver except float around.  Gretzky was a +520 in his NHL career, Messier was a +211, huge difference.  Gretzky also holds the record for most shorthanded goals in NHL history with 73, Messier is second with 63.  So Gretzky was dominant on the penalty kill, even more dominant than Messier.

Messier needed Gretzky just as much as Gretzky needed Messier.  They worked hand in hand.  If it wasn't for McSorley's stick and Patrick Roy's brilliance Gretzky would have won multiple cups in LA.

Also before playing with Gretzky he was not a top prospect and hadn't done much

Playing behind Gretzky gave him lesser players to play against

I think Gretzky made them all reach deep and excite them to be better players and I am hoping EP can do the same for our young players

Messier also played 300 more games than Gretzky

I could respect Messier as an Oiler, as a Ranger I lost respect for him as a player

• Upvote 1

"Defence was something Gretz left to others, he was a one dimensional player and the best one dimensional player of all time.  He didnt really back check, he didn't block shots etc.  He did steal alot of pucks intercept passes."

Actually not true. I watched Gretzky in person many times. While obviously he couldn't move people or win board battles he always came back hard and positioned himself well, getting in the way in passing lanes, intercepting passes, and stealing pucks with his stickwork.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, old guy said:

"Defence was something Gretz left to others, he was a one dimensional player and the best one dimensional player of all time.  He didnt really back check, he didn't block shots etc.  He did steal alot of pucks intercept passes."

Actually not true. I watched Gretzky in person many times. While obviously he couldn't move people or win board battles he always came back hard and positioned himself well, getting in the way in passing lanes, intercepting passes, and stealing pucks with his stickwork.

I basically said the exact same thing...  re read my post.  He was a take away guy, able to anticipate a pass and intercept it.  He played high in the d zone and was an outlet guy.  He was never a 200 ft player.  Most offensive guys in his era were not 200 ft players.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Mrs. Alf and I made a point of watching the Oilers every time we could, when they came to town those years.  Gretzky was terrible below the dots in his own end.  Messier was by far the better overall player.  

Just stop already.

Edit: this time you are totally embarrassing yourself.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

On 2/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, Yung1 said:

***Bold prediction***

EP might actually end up Gretzky-like in terms of how far ahead of the competition he is in his prime. He has a skill set that if he continues to build upon could carry him to having seasons of 60G/80A for 140 points. He'll never put up 200+ point seasons, but thats simply because the game has totally changed and even Gretzky himself would not have put up anything near those numbers if he played today. 

My argument is that EP may have 140-150 point seasons in his prime while his peers are topping out around 120, which is almost what you could have expected Gretzky to put up in this era in his prime, in my opinion.

The league is quickly moving back to a run and gun game, so 140 pts in a few years may not be unreasonable at all. The key in my view for him to reach that is his winger(s) have to also have great years, and he will need some very good Dmen who transition the puck well and can help him rack up on the PP. Are those players Boeser, Hughes, and Juolevi - maybe and hopefully. He clearly has 50 goal scorer hands and a shot so hitting that mark in his career should happen at some point, 60 is just 'one of those years' and therefore could occur. The harder part is the 80 assists, that needs a team who's scoring bushels full, and therefore, a few players who also have career years, Boeser, maybe Bo on the PP etc.....doable though, I wouldn't put it past him given how the league is changing. If the twins can get 110 pts in a semi clutch and grab/big man era, this kid who's light years ahead in pure skill could do it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, old guy said:

That was Gretzky's ultimate strength. Positioning. Not just his own, but everyone else.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

We split his goals and assists lol! once we made that rule it would suck getting first overall because you wanted Gretz but then you had to think, will his assists still beat out the next best player? Petey is great and 'reminds' people of gretz in how he can see the ice and change the game in an instant but a for pure dominance I don't think any player can ever match that. He was just on another planet, it was like he was the best hockey player in the world playing against beer leaguers....I hope to see some kid do what he did, and beat it, but I doubt we ever will, even with the league changing, he was just once in a lifetime special.

• Upvote 2