The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I believe bob mac said his scouts consensus is that Dobson has a better shot then Bouchard and is the better skater, and his combine results support the skating claims.

so the boys at TSN must get on the same page

There is difference between a hard shooter and a accurate shooter.  Bieksa has a harder shot then ehrhoff, but ehrhoff was able  I get the shot on goal far more often.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

dobson doesn't stand out in any one area, doesn't run a pp.  I'd much rather have Bouchard, who button says is a more complete skater than Dobson, atm.

Dobson is a complete two way d man, where as Bouchard is an Offensive D man.

Dobson is the second most complete d man in this draft.  

Think OJ vs Serge. We need both, but this year I think an offensive driven guy might be JB’s preferred option. 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I believe bob mac said his scouts consensus is that Dobson has a better shot then Bouchard and is the better skater, and his combine results support the skating claims.

so the boys at TSN must get on the same page

Dobson’s Skating is better, but Button has a futuristic take. He thinks Bouchards skating can be corrected thru development.  He might be predicting vs analyzing. 

Dobson’s tally’s were all from the point, where EB’s were a mixed bag. They both possess great shots. EB has better instincts of when to attack and better passing, but NB may have had stricter coaching on not attacking the net. 

Hard to beat EB’s season and these are narrow differences mainly. 

The chances of both being available are slim at 7, so we likely will never truly know who JB liked more. 

31 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

The dream for me as Canucks fan is that they draft a defenseman who can play right away. Waiting for Juolevi is difficult because even when/if he makes the team, he still needs time to adjust. These top 5 kinda players almost need to be plug and play like NFL first rounders in today's NHL.

We all had that dream and Dahlin won’t be around when we pick. 

But to keep that that dream alive, does JB offer Boeser, OJ and our 7th for Dahlin?  That would be what it would take at least. Anyone up for it?  

I never thought it was a real possibility for Hughes to fall to us but it's looking more and more likely.

We would be crazy to pass on him. He's exactly the elite skating powerplay QB we need. Boquist would be nice too, I just think Hughes is at a slightly higher level.

41 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

No Oliver Wahlstrom?! A first line potential sniper in the mold of Patrick Laine?

Who cares if he is a little one dimensional put him with a good playmaker like Elias and Dahlen or Goldobin and he should light it up like Boeser as a rookie did.

oops I forgot to put him in. Thanks..

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I never thought it was a real possibility for Hughes to fall to us but it's looking more and more likely.

We would be crazy to pass on him. He's exactly the elite skating powerplay QB we need. Boquist would be nice too, I just think Hughes is at a slightly higher level.

i don't think Hughes skillset is going to transfer to the NHL as easily.

26 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Not a big fan of Bouchard his skating irks me a little. Don't think he will be a star but a solid #2 at best or top 4 (most likely).

We were told that Horvat had skating issues. I here what you are saying but there is just as many saying that it is not a problem.  I would say that this draft has several small D men who skate well but it takes a special player to play D in this league at 180lb's. Those smaller D will either become stars or never make it. Risk both ways.

Bouchards numbers are very impressive.  It's hard to ignore that.

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We were told that Horvat had skating issues. I here what you are saying but there is just as many saying that it is not a problem.  I would say that this draft has several small D men who skate well but it takes a special player to play D in this league at 180lb's. Those smaller D will either become stars or never make it. Risk both ways.

Bouchards numbers are very impressive.  It's hard to ignore that.

Haha, I remember those days debating Horvat's skating ability. Anyone else remember the exact goal that debate died on?

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

His skillset being that he's one of the best skaters in the draft?

His skating alone will allow him to play at the next level. He already proved that at the world championships.

The one area I have a little concern over is his attitude. Not taking part in the combine probably has at least a few teams concerned.

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's exactly what I want...easy transfer to the NHL. I don't want to wait years for these guys to show up, especially defensemen when that is the most glaring of holes right now. I think now that there are some nice pieces around it's time to speed it up a bit. Not too fast but some positive moves/draft picks that improve the team right now.

5 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Hypothetically, imagine if Zadina drops. 

Does that complete our forward core for the next decade?

Pettersson - Zadina - Horvat - Boeser

Only way I can see Zadina falling

mtl-koketniemi

ott-tkachuk

arz-boqvist?

det-hughes

van-Zadina 

seems pretty unlikely

6 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

That's exactly what I want...easy transfer to the NHL. I don't want to wait years for these guys to show up, especially defensemen when that is the most glaring of holes right now. I think now that there are some nice pieces around it's time to speed it up a bit. Not too fast but some positive moves/draft picks that improve the team right now.

You mean you only want Dahlin.:huh:

10 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Only way I can see Zadina falling

mtl-koketniemi

ott-tkachuk

arz-boqvist?

det-hughes

van-Zadina 

seems pretty unlikely

Plug in Wahlstrom, Bouchard, and Dobson into the mix and it might be more likely than ya think :)

Especially since Zadz is a winger and the more coveted position (at least I'd expect) is defense in this draft. 

Personally, I see us taking a forward and rounding out our core group up front, then trading excess forwards (Baertschi, Goldobin, Gagner, etc for d prospects). 

Gotta fill one hole at a time

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

The dream for me as Canucks fan is that they draft a defenseman who can play right away. Waiting for Juolevi is difficult because even when/if he makes the team, he still needs time to adjust. These top 5 kinda players almost need to be plug and play like NFL first rounders in today's NHL.

Most are. You hear GMs and the Bob Mackenzie(type of guys) say all the time that usually anyone in the top 10 is pretty much NHL ready, with maybe a year of development needed at most. And if they need more than 2 years, well...  you drafted them higher than what you should have. 

The reason why the top 5 picks go to the crappiest teams(when the lottery doesn’t interfere) is that those teams need help immediately. 

And I like your cautious optimism,by the way. Everyone is talking like he’s a 1st pairing guy but he wasn’t even knocking at the door last training camp. That is what concerns me. IF he ever is a first pairing guy, that may not be until he’s 27ish-30ish. I agree with you about adjusting and it will probably take a couple seasons. 

5 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Plug in Wahlstrom, Bouchard, and Dobson into the mix and it might be more likely than ya think :)

Especially since Zadz is a winger and the more coveted position (at least I'd expect) is defense in this draft. 

Personally, I see us taking a forward and rounding out our core group up front, then trading excess forwards (Baertschi, Goldobin, Gagner, etc for d prospects). 

Gotta fill one hole at a time

Yeah I’d love Zadina if he falls but if not I’m riding the Wahlstrom train all the way. Wahlstrom + pettersson + Bo + Brock. Doesn’t matter who the left wingers are you can make a VERY capable top 6 with those guys

1 minute ago, Canadian Clay said:

Yeah I’d love Zadina if he falls but if not I’m riding the Wahlstrom train all the way. Wahlstrom + pettersson + Bo + Brock. Doesn’t matter who the left wingers are you can make a VERY capable top 6 with those guys

Oh I'm with ya #StacktheSix

22 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Most are. You hear GMs and the Bob Mackenzie(type of guys) say all the time that usually anyone in the top 10 is pretty much NHL ready, with maybe a year of development needed at most. And if they need more than 2 years, well...  you drafted them higher than what you should have. 

The reason why the top 5 picks go to the crappiest teams(when the lottery doesn’t interfere) is that those teams need help immediately. 

And I like your cautious optimism,by the way. Everyone is talking like he’s a 1st pairing guy but he wasn’t even knocking at the door last training camp. That is what concerns me. IF he ever is a first pairing guy, that may not be until he’s 27ish-30ish. I agree with you about adjusting and it will probably take a couple seasons. 

Wat?

I just did a quick check and since the 2014 draft (so 40 players) only 11 of them played more than 10 games in the NHL the year they were drafts.

That's 27.5%

Pretty far from most...

Archived