The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

if Benning has Zadina ranked higher than Dobson and thinks he is the better player that is available, then I would expect Benning would take Zadina. Why would you think otherwise?

Benning will pick the worst player in order to messwithu. Un freak eng ba wievable. 

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

Ok bad example, you did a #1 D man for a #1 D man trade there. If we really needed a #1 D-man we wouldn't be trading another one to get one....<_<

ha, I didn't even think about Weber in the return........2 birds, one stone.  I do agree with your point though, it isn't remotely common practice 

Interesting story of hits and misses in a deep draft, 2008;

https://www.nhl.com/news/2008-nhl-redraft-stamkos-doughty-karlsson/c-299076486?tid=280428014

Bryan Murray to Pierre Dorian on Eric Karlsson

Dorion still had to sell GM Bryan Murray on Karlsson.

"He goes, 'Pierre, how long do you want to work for me?'" Dorion said. "I said, 'A long time.' He goes, 'You want us to take a 5-foot-10, 159-pound defenseman?' I said 'Yes, we've got to take him and I want to work for you for a long time. Bryan, this is the guy we should be taking.'"

2 hours ago, Pears said:

If Tkachuk is available at 7 and Calgary really wants him, what could we get from them?

a lot. Think of the marketing alone with the Tkacuk brothers. But as much as I'dl like the return I hate the idea of having to face that in our division and maybe in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, 70seven said:

Buffalo - Dahlin

Carolina - Svechnikov

Montreal - Kotkaniemi 

Ottawa - Hughes 

Arizona - Zadina

Detroit - Bouchard

Vancouver - Tkachuk 

Chicago - Wahlstrom

NYR - Dobson

Edmonton - Boqvist 

Not my preference...  just a prediction.  From what I’ve heard, Van likes Tkachuk more than any D man not named Dahlin.  

Source?  Where did you hear management covets Tkachuk over any D in this draft?

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

a lot. Think of the marketing alone with the Tkacuk brothers. But as much as I'dl like the return I hate the idea of having to face that in our division and maybe in the playoffs. 

I'd ask for Ferland + 1st 2019 + 2020 1st

Just now, Outsiders said:

I'd ask for Ferland + 1st 2019 + 2nd this yr (if they have one. Not sure if they gave it up in the Hamonic trade)

I'd go for even more, if we're going to gift that to Calgary its got to be an epic return. 

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah like, if they really want to have both Tkachuks, they’d have to pony up. Something like Valimaki+2019 1st maybe? I’d push for Dillon Dube or Matthew Phillips as well. 

Watching some Kotkaniemi highlights I can see why people aren't a fan of his skating. He's not slow or anything, it just looks wacky. Nothing a skating coach can't fix. I don't think skating will be a problem for him in the NHL. Even if he keeps skating kinda wonky. Speed is definitely not the problem, someone mentioned it to me and I agree with them.

I been riding the Kotkaniemi train since the season ended and I started tracking prospects more. I am not gonna lie I kinda hope we snag him at 7 if he's around, Boqvist and Kotkaniemi are my top 2 guys. Either one at 7 would be my dream scenario. With the way the top 5-10 is projected there is a solid chance neither are around. Everything I hear about Kotkaniemi is great. So I can see why Montreal might value him at 3 and honestly I can see why with all the talk about him. Character guy, big body, good two way game, very intelligent, great skill. Don't be surprised if he's in the NHL as early as next year, not the 18/19 season but the 19/20 season. 

4 hours ago, Rodishred said:

Source?  Where did you hear management covets Tkachuk over any D in this draft?

Just gleaning between the lines for the most part. 

I had heard reports from a local source as early as February that the Canucks REALLY liked Tkachuk and Dobson.  

There has has not been a Green, Benning, or Linden interview to indicate otherwise.  

This team needs a lot.  Upgrade at LW is just as pressing as Dmen.  Our top LW is Baertschi.... with not many top 6 hopefuls behind him.  Time after time heading into the deadline, the focus has been on addding “push back” up front that can play in today’s game.  

Tkachuk simply crosses off a tonne of the boxes on what the organization needs/wants. 

Yes, defence is a huge priority, but if they deem that Tkachuk is bpa, and LW is still a position of extreme weakness, I do think they’ll take Tkachuk at 7 if on the board.  

18 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I have a new article coming out sometime today or tomorrow. We're I explore the latest on the Canucks draft and 9 players I feel we could take at 7.  

I'll be sure to share in this chat when I'm finished. This #7 pick could end up getting us the 3rd or 4th best player of the teams ahead of us pick the wrong guys.  Jim is good at finding talent. God, I love having a strong drafting group. JB for GM of the year soon enough lol

Here it is folks! Exploring Draft Options For 7th Overall

Don't mind the selfish self promotion. I figured you guys might find it an ok read. :). I have some work to do with my writing still but I feel I'm improving each go at it. :) Tell me what you think.

49 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Here it is folks! Exploring Draft Options For 7th Overall

Don't mind the selfish self promotion. I figured you guys might find it an ok read. :). I have some work to do with my writing still but I feel I'm improving each go at it. :) Tell me what you think.

Totally fun reading!  Lots of information too.  Thanks for the link.  Alf doesn’t have Twitter.  

ps:  (I think the guy going first to Buffalo is “in” not “en”)

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Totally fun reading!  Lots of information too.  Thanks for the link.  Alf doesn’t have Twitter.  

ps:  (I think the guy going first to Buffalo is “in” not “en”)

Thanks Alf! I must have Jonathan Dahlen on my mind lol. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Thanks Alf! I must have Jonathan Dahlen on my mind lol. :lol:

Alf misspelled Dahlen/ Dahlin so many times ( usually Dhalin/ Dhalen ) I'm surprised he feels okay being judgemental !

PS.......not to pile on, but you got Jesperi Kotkaniemi wrong twice. ( Jessperi Kokamiemi & Jesperi Kokaneimi ) Obviously typos, but your proof reader dropped the ball.

PPS.....kudos for an excellent revue.

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You mean like a “dealus interuptis”?  :lol:

that reminds me of the time we had two racoons mating on our garage, and I turned the hose on them. The female ran away, the male stayed on the garage roof and man you've never seen such a pissed off racoon in your life. So yeah I want to see Jim do that to Calgary. 

Archived