The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Niemi on waivers for purpose of Buyout

Now Benning can sign him for a bargain basement 1 year 1 mill to bridge another year to give Demko another year in the AHL

Markstrom plays best when playing a boat load of games. Niemi seems lately to play better with fewer games.

8 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Expected. I know there was talk around here about taking on his contract for picks. 

In before people bash Benning for being an idiot for not taking on the contract for picks...perhaps the picks are more valuable to Dallas than the money?

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Nil is going to be desperate to sign a UFA D now... this helps a little bit freeing up 3 mil in cap this year, but it costs them 1.5 next year. 

I wonder if Gaglardi still has that grudge against Aquillini over the ownership fiasco. Could he possibly let his personal BS affect the betterment of his team? I dunno, but it seems like Dallas does everything in it's power to not make a deal with the Canucks.

11 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

I wonder if Gaglardi still has that grudge against Aquillini over the ownership fiasco. Could he possibly let his personal BS affect the betterment of his team? I dunno, but it seems like Dallas does everything in it's power to not make a deal with the Canucks.

seems like it for sure. Heiskanen was a great pick for sure, but he's not going to be part of their current window unless Benn ages like wine. 

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

In before people bash Benning for being an idiot for not taking on the contract for picks...perhaps the picks are more valuable to Dallas than the money?

The only teams that give up assets to dump contracts are the ones in a deep cap crunch. The Stars were not, they have plenty of cap space having no one really important to sign. I doubt Nill even considered giving up picks with the Niemi buyout being fairly cheap.

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

The only teams that give up assets to dump contracts are the ones in a deep cap crunch. The Stars were not, they have plenty of cap space having no one really important to sign. I doubt Nill even considered giving up picks with the Niemi buyout being fairly cheap.

what about the fact that they really need another top 4 D? If they crap out in free agency its going to be another tough year for them, Hitchcock is going to run them hard. It will be interesting to see how Benn reacts to Hitchcock, SN has an interesting story on his battles with Hull over team style (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brett-hull-like-play-offence-ken-hitchcock/)

34 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

what about the fact that they really need another top 4 D? If they crap out in free agency its going to be another tough year for them, Hitchcock is going to run them hard. It will be interesting to see how Benn reacts to Hitchcock, SN has an interesting story on his battles with Hull over team style (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brett-hull-like-play-offence-ken-hitchcock/)

I should have clarified that I meant that they do not have to give out any big time raises. Their core is locked up long term and they have cap space. It was wishful thinking that they would trade picks to get out of a 1.5Mx2 buyout.

Obviously!....you don't trade a 3rd overall or even a 29th overall just to get rid of a 1 year contract.   That option is only feasible for Clarkson, Bolland, Horton type of contracts.

Cap is going up 2M and probably at least another 2M$ the year after.  Stars will be just fine with the 1.5M cap penalty over two years, they won't even break a sweat trying to get under the cap for those 2 years.

7 minutes ago, Toews said:

I should have clarified that I meant that they do not have to give out any big time raises. Their core is locked up long term and they have cap space. It was wishful thinking that they would trade picks to get out of a 1.5Mx2 buyout.

oh for sure. Lehtonen would have been more value on that front but even still not that much more. 

We took on salary as the principal motor behind getting Ehrhoff. It worked once.

We hemorrhaged on varying types and levels of contracts with Lou, David Booth, Ballard, Tortorella, AV, just ate a year on Willie's deal. I would not be surprised if Aquilini has noticed that just throwing money at shat, isn't always going to solve everything?

4 hours ago, VanGnome said:

I think so and do not blame him one bit as I think he got screwed over pretty bad in the deal.

That said Gaglardi is the one with the cup win.

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We took on salary as the principal motor behind getting Ehrhoff. It worked once.

We hemorrhaged on varying types and levels of contracts with Lou, David Booth, Ballard, Tortorella, AV, just ate a year on Willie's deal. I would not be surprised if Aquilini has noticed that just throwing money at shat, isn't always going to solve everything?

IMO that's the cost of doing business in the NHL. Nearly every team in the NHL has a similar list of poor returns on investment. The Canucks are one of the larger markets in the NHL and Aquilini made a killing when the team was a contender. 

Archived