The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Consensus Prospect Rankings - #4

Brad Marchand

CDC Consensus Prospect Rankings - #4  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Current Ranking:

1. Brock Boeser (104 votes - 53.97%)

2. Elias Pettersson (84 votes - 44.44%)

3. Olli Juolevi (95 votes - 54.29%)

Eligible Prospects:

Rodrigo Abols
Matthew Brassard
Guillaume Brisebois
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm
Jalen Chatfield
Jonathan Dahlen
Thatcher Demko
Michael DiPietro
Jonah Gadjovich
Adam Gaudette
Nikolay Goldobin
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Kole Lind
William Lockwood
Zack MacEwen
Evan McEneny
Brett McKenzie
Griffen Molino
Petrus Palmu
Andrey Pedan
Jack Rathbone
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Jordan Subban
Jake Virtanen
Dmitri Zhukenov

Lol thought Demko was in our top 3 already so voted for Dahlen. No one has voted him other than me but once he finds his chemistry he had in Sweden and carry it over here in N.A., he should rise up our list and should be top 5 lock imo. Demko is the no brainer and my bad for not checking the previous polls

Demko wins this by a landslide. Any one of the top 4 who wasn't voted in already would have won by a mile.

We have a great top 4.

One of the top rated G prospects in world.

A top rated D prospect

A C prospect who just oozes skill and smarts

One of the best college forwards over the last several years.

7 minutes ago, Joe_Kerr said:

Is he? Goldy has done better in the ahl and the nhl. Dahlen is a threat...

Goldy is a Russian. I'd trade him in his contract year ;) 

Dahlen hasn't even played in the A yet. I find it hard to gauge these kids until they are at war in NA. 

Demko hasn't even been tested and is at 4 and same with the rest, minus Goldy. At least we have some measure of Jake in the NHL. Wish him the best. Wish them all the best... in 2020. 

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Who keeps voting for Virtanen? :lol:

Yes, Jake had 3 votes at #1, 5 votes at #2, 6 votes at #3, and so far has 11 votes at #4, which puts him "second" after Demko in the 4th round. Not sure if Jake's family is on CDC or if this is yet another testament to the power of denial (or confirmation bias or something) in human psychology.

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Seems to be a concenus separation between our top 4 (Boesser, Petterson, Juolevi, Demko) and the rest of our prospects.

Not a whole lot of doubt about the top 4 versus the rest at this stage. From #5 on the uncertainty opens up quite a lot. Looking at the fowards and focusing on scoring, after applying weighting to adjust for league differences, Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, and Goldobin are all fairly close (and Jake is not).

A good discussion of translation factors for comparing leagues is here: https://theleafsnation.com/2017/06/01/re-approaching-the-methodology-of-nhle/

Here are the points, leagues, translation factors, and adjusted points for some of the prospects.

Here is how it works.

Pettersson scored 41 pts in 43 games for 0.95 PPG. The adjustment factor for Allsvenskran is 0.46, so he scored at an NHL equivalent pace of 0.44 PPG. This is almost but not quite second line level, and he was 17 when the season started - and turned 18 during the season.

For Boeser, as a 20 year old, if we look just at his NHL performance he has 5 pts in 9 games for 0.056 PPG and the adjustment factor is 1. If we factor in both his NCHC and NHL performance we get about 0.52.

Dahlen (age  19) has an adjusted PPG of 0.45 and Gaudette (age 20) is at 0.43. Goldobin (age 21) is also 0.43, Gadjovich (age 18) is at 0.37 and Lind (age 18) is at 0.36. Virtanen is at 0.14.

Once we take age into account and look at expected changes over time (something I have done before but won't do here), Petterson is the best prospect in terms of expected peak scoring, but Boeser, Dahlen, and Gaudette are very close. Goldobin is a bit older but still close.  And Lind and Gadjovich are not far off.

Compared to prospects in general, this is very good. Looking just at scoring numbers, all these prospects project as top 6 NHL forwards, except Virtanen. Pettersson projects as a clear first liner Dahlen and Boeser look like good bets to be first liners as well.

I admit this seems too optimistic and I have my doubts about the translation factors. Possibly guys like Lind and Gadjovich were still available in the second round of the draft because their overall profile is not as good as their scoring alone would suggest. After all, we would normally say that guys like Gaudette, Lind, and Gadjovich would be doing well just to become NHL regulars anywhere in the line-up, let alone in the top six.

Also, scoring is not everything, and there is a fair amount of year to year "noise" or variation. And there is a lot of individual variation in how players transition from other leagues to the NHL. But Dahlen and Gaudette should probably be #5 and #6 in this ranking and, overall, the prospect pool looks better than it has since the Sedins were headliners in the prospect pipeline..

Archived