The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brendan Gaunce

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

How about that 2012 draft though...

One of the highest scoring teams in the league with depth up front and Gillis takes a couple bottom 6 forwards in the first two rounds over D-men.

Thank god we snagged Hutton, but that draft could have shored up our D for the future had we taken Skjei and Severson.

Yea too bad! Would have been amazing if we took Skjei and Severson. 

I like it a lot.

I'm glad it's one way too, tells BG "You are an NHL'er! Now go play like one!"

Glad this wasn't another first round throw away and he's being given a chance to mean something to this team,

good term, good money, good message sent.

Now...Gaunce, MAKE IT WORK!!!

5 hours ago, lethal_spaghetti said:

yea I do agree that that isn't all that great. however, I feel the reason so many of us like the signing is because he passes the eye test when you watch him you can tell he has a boatload of potential to be a key player on a stanley cup winning team (given he keeps getting better). If he does we will have an invaluable player in the next few years.

Plus there is a psychological benefit to having your first rounders on the team, these are players that were heavily invested in, that breeds loyalty to an organization and a city, I like having as many of those types around as possible.

Momesso 2017?

7 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Well, he led forwards in hits. I think he had some bad puck luck, but is certainly capable of scoring. At worst, he's one of our better PKers, on a cheap contract. 

And he had a fight last year.....hey this is 2017 a single fight is better than most......good to have guys around who are willing, Bo will drop em,' Gaunce, Virtanen if they let him play in the bottom 6 (I think they will as long as he isn't a defensive liability)

Three first rounders who aren't afraid to go if the need should arise, I think that will pay off at some point.

Hmm......

Virtanen Horvat Gaunce

Be fun to see it happen, Canucks fans aren't used to seeing something like that.

9 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

If he can become the 2nd coming of Malhotra and stay under a million he will be great.

Pettersson

Horvat

Gaudette

Gaunce

In the future

yes i really think we will see a new Gaunce, He put up decent numbers on farm.. Gaunce had little confidence under Willie.. 

Gaunce is good on face-off and PK and he will show vast improvement this year.. Glad we signed him..

Bo will be signed before August 15th, I say contract will be 6yrs,  avg cap hit 5.4 million 

2 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

And he had a fight last year.....hey this is 2017 a single fight is better than most......good to have guys around who are willing, Bo will drop em,' Gaunce, Virtanen if they let him play in the bottom 6 (I think they will as long as he isn't a defensive liability)

Three first rounders who aren't afraid to go if the need should arise, I think that will pay off at some point.

Hmm......

Virtanen Horvat Gaunce

Be fun to see it happen, Canucks fans aren't used to seeing something like that.

Gaunce-Horvat-Virtanen has happened already a couple of times.   Gaunce played a few games with Horvat in March 2015/16 because WD wanted to split Baer and Horvat up.

I expect that under Green there will be more experimenting as he tries and finds combinations that work.  He also said he will be contacting WD so he will likely also be asking for input on players and past combinations.

Cudos to Gaunce and JB for getting this done the way they did.  This gives Gaunce the support for two years that he needs (belief that he is an NHL roster player) and the price tag is reasonable (and could look cheap should Gaunce improve the way I think he can).  I hear he's a hard-working kid without the baggage.  He's worked himself through the system and never complained when he was passed over for call-ups.  I'm hoping he turns out to be a good strong player for the nucks.

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

One of the most underrated players in the organization.

true, but I think calling him the next Malholtra is a bit premature.... his face-off sample size is pretty small, but he did do well. He certainly seems to have the brain for it and I like his attitude a lot. I think a lot of guys would have crumbled under the pressure of being a 1st rounder and then having things not go as expected. 

I think he got a 2 year deal in part to protect him a bit if he ends up on waivers to start the year, he'll be a lot less likely to get picked up off waivers with a 2 year deal in place imo, so that and coming off surgery protect him fairly well. My bet is he isn't ready for camp and starts out in Utica on a rehab stint, which is fine we'll get to see someone else in the meantime. 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

My bet is he isn't ready for camp and starts out in Utica on a rehab stint, which is fine we'll get to see someone else in the meantime. 

I think based on his comments yesterday that this is true. He's only skated twice? Is still seeing consultation for his shoulder, and is 'hopeful' for training camp. I think you're right, he starts on a conditioning stint, though that might well be in November at this rate. The flip side is it gives one of Rodin/Boucher/Virtanen/Goldobin a chance to stick. 

43 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

true, but I think calling him the next Malholtra is a bit premature.... his face-off sample size is pretty small, but he did do well. He certainly seems to have the brain for it and I like his attitude a lot. I think a lot of guys would have crumbled under the pressure of being a 1st rounder and then having things not go as expected. 

I think he got a 2 year deal in part to protect him a bit if he ends up on waivers to start the year, he'll be a lot less likely to get picked up off waivers with a 2 year deal in place imo, so that and coming off surgery protect him fairly well. My bet is he isn't ready for camp and starts out in Utica on a rehab stint, which is fine we'll get to see someone else in the meantime. 

Uh, who called him the next Malholtra?   I think he is the first Brendan Gaunce.   

18 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Big Gaunce fan. Sami Pahlsson 2.0. Quote me on it.

Hockey fans who have the eye for all the small things that are big things a player can do to help a team win recognize what strong value young Guance brings to the table.

This kid has unbelievable 2 way game upside as well as a top of the line ability to be a top shut down penalty killer in the clutch and will get only stronger. I know for a fact winning teams have Guances in their lineup they're always needed.

Very happy to see this kid stick around. Looks like JB knows what he's got here in young Guance and I'm sure Manny's said sign this kid up he's going to be a pretty important player moving forward.

Archived