The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joffrey Lupul calls out Leafs on Instagram, says they cheat

Hopefully something comes of this but nothing likely will. I have 0 respect for Lou and the leafs brass. If there's smoke I'm sure there's fire with Cowen and Lupuls comments. Look at how they treated Corrado as well. 

Lots of people won't feel sorry for him since he is collecting a big chunk of change but he's been unwillingly forced out of his career. If Dorsett can be cleared after neck surgery I'm sure Lupul and his last sports hernia surgery should be fine (although he is a walking injury machine) just seems fishy to me is all. Hopefully the PA can step in and have something sorted out and get to the bottom of this 

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Didn't stop Marleau from signing there.

We'd all like to think it'll have some repercussions, but many players will either not care or forget... or actuality want to visit Robidas island. 

Oh, I'm sure the 3rd year of Marleau's contract is nothing but an all-expenses-paid vacation to Robidas Island. Perhaps the 2nd year of Hainsey's deal is in the same boat. When you're that close to retirement, a significant injury that hampers your ability further is probably the final nail in the coffin anyways. So signing with a team that will in that case gladly pay you to stay home for an extra year is not really a concern.

But for a player who definitely wants to play out his whole contract, it could be a major red flag. In fact, it may already be well known. When was the last time a significant UFA (top-6 F or top-4 D) under the age of 36 signed a multi-year deal with Toronto?

...The answer: Francois Beauchemin, on July 6, 2009.

The curious thing.

Is how NOBODy is willing to actually talk to Lupul about this, let alone the team of doctors that said no sorry.  Because a sports hernia is obviously a career ending injury and all that.

Why don't they just make a show out of it.  Actually record the testing process and the medical teams opinion after.

Or...would Lupul being a healthy $5+ million anchor be an issue for them?

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

why do people keep suggesting this

it is idiocy

the league teams, league management, players all agreed to this outcome in the last collective agreement

so you think the canucks should sue themselves for being stupid?

there is no one to sue here

everyone agreed to a new collective agreement containing these terms

end of story

This^

Dont know what they were thinking but they signed the deal, but if Lou retires the Canucks deserve to be punished to the full extent permissible. They did this to themselves. 

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

it is idiocy

the league teams, league management, players all agreed to this outcome in the last collective agreement

end of story

But the league approved the contract, they approve all contracts

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

it is idiocy

end of story

Easy there tiger - just a discussion

16 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

that is the thing.. certainly a 'grey' area to say the least. like I said originally - not sure what the legal grounds are/would be. If there are any lawyers around I would be interested to hear their take on the Luongo situation.

31 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Thi is my favorite picture of a guy on LTIR, taken last year.....the final year of his  contract and on an LTIR contract that was traded numerous times.....to circumvent the cap

82b2957b7a2651da6b7e4a57249bef6ft.

That always makes me laugh. The laugh on Pronger's face and Bieber's look of agony. Hahahahaha

The NHL is league run by.........tumblr_mzk9vjt2ce1rl52wjo3_400.gif

Assuming he is healthy enough to play, it then becomes an interesting thought, would Lupul be blackballed by the NHL? And, maybe the only team which offers him a contract (at league minimum) is the Canucks. 

Yeah, Lupul would jump at that...

regards,  G.

This may be a silly question but why can he not go to a third party to have his testing completed. I'm assuming that's in the contract that was signed but this is such a tragedy if that's the case. I know it's a business but this is definitely a slap to all of the players faces. We know this is happening alot and being swept under a rug. 

10 hours ago, cyoung said:

This may be a silly question but why can he not go to a third party to have his testing completed. I'm assuming that's in the contract that was signed but this is such a tragedy if that's the case. I know it's a business but this is definitely a slap to all of the players faces. We know this is happening alot and being swept under a rug. 

I think that's what he may do during his appeal process. I believe he has until Thursday to do this. Just checked and it's Thursday 5pm

"Toronto Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul has until Thursday at 5pm et to get a second medical opinion from the NHL Players' Association if he believes himself healthy enough to play this season"

http://www.tsn.ca/lupul-has-thursday-deadline-for-2nd-medical-1.860363

Doesn't seem like he's appealing though 

From what I've learned tonight It appears Joffrey Lupul has no real interest in playing this season and won't challenge his medical report.

1 hour ago, apollo said:

I think that's what he may do during his appeal process. I believe he has until Thursday to do this. Just checked and it's Thursday 5pm

"Toronto Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul has until Thursday at 5pm et to get a second medical opinion from the NHL Players' Association if he believes himself healthy enough to play this season"

http://www.tsn.ca/lupul-has-thursday-deadline-for-2nd-medical-1.860363

Doesn't seem like he's appealing though 

From what I've learned tonight It appears Joffrey Lupul has no real interest in playing this season and won't challenge his medical report.

Thats actually disappointing. Why speak out if you aren't ready to back it up.. 

14 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Thats actually disappointing. Why speak out if you aren't ready to back it up.. 

Yea... I'm shocked. His base salary is 3.75 million this year... I guess he's fine sitting at home and collecting his paycheck. 

TBH I've lost even more respect for him if he doesn't appeal. 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Yea... I'm shocked. His base salary is 3.75 million this year... I guess he's fine sitting at home and collecting his paycheck. 

TBH I've lost even more respect for him if he doesn't appeal. 

Ya lol I Gained some for the call out but I'll take it back and more if he doesn't follow through. 

On 9/18/2017 at 1:20 PM, GarthButcher5 said:

there is nothing wrong with the contract

it is fine

luongo will be fully paid and treated fairly

the sanctions are against the teams that attempted to circumvent the salary cap in an a creative way

the terms of that sanction were agreed to in the collective agreement

these really are distinct steps

the contract is not touched by the sanctions

so this has nothing to do with the fact that the league approved these contracts

it had no choice

Archived