The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Matt Duchene

6 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

If Sakic was willing to trade Duchene for Juolevi straight up right now I'd do it, pump up Duchenes stats and trade him to a contender at the deadline for a 1st, and prospects. That's what he(Sakic) should be doing in the first place. Why trade him now and get less for him? OJ is not looking like a top 5 pick right now compared to his draft class either. I want him to succeed but hes not really showing that he can be anything like he was projected to become at this point. Sergachev has 8 points in 9 games in the NHL, McAvoy ppg NHL, Chychurn is playing in the NHL etc. . I know it's still early, but there's always the possibility that he can trend as pouliot did which would suck. 

There's also the possibility he can turn into a Lumme and be a rock on our defence, and even help our pathetic power play. 

D-men take longer to develop. And there is no set period of time that happens. Some players learn fast, some need more time. 

What's the rush, are we a Duchene away from winning the cup?

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's topped 50 points 5 times and is a great face-off guy. I would trade Sutter,  Hutton and maybe as high as a 2nd for him but doubt thats even close to what Joe wants. But not OJ, unless Jim has seen something that makes him think he's not the guy he thought he was on draft day. 

Players like Sutter etc are established players of comparable cap/age that's one thing

But trading futures for nows when we're clearly in the bottom 3rd of the league is just sheer stupidity.

I didn't see the actual HNIC broadcast and have a hard time believing this is anything more than an anal-yst spit balling names but unless some really funny stuff is going on in head office the whole idea is a non starter

As well Roy had 6 seasons where averaged out over 82 games was a 50+ point player and a 30-45 point player the rest of his years in the league.  The comparisons can be made IMO

44 minutes ago, mll said:

Nashville is really high on Kamenev and were hoping he'd make the team out of camp.  He's not quite ready but he's getting there and maybe later in the season.   

Yeah - Nashville has some great young forward depth - not sure why they'd deal him.

But Horvat, Pettersson, Kamenev, Gaudette......Sutter, Granlund, Gaunce.

Would be set.  More than.

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Players like Sutter etc are established players of comparable cap/age that's one thing

But trading futures for nows when we're clearly in the bottom 3rd of the league is just sheer stupidity.

well... good luck Joe, you're gonna need it. 

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I still think that Sakic goes just before or just after Duchene.

But now I am not sure if he goes before or after Bergevin

I'd be fine with Bergevin getting the ax.  I've hated most of the moves he's made.  The problem is Montreal's ridiculous need for a French Canadian in the front office/coach position.  I'd be scared to death of them firing him and bringing Patrick Roy 

Just now, qwijibo said:

I'd be fine with Bergevin getting the ax.  I've hated most of the moves he's made.  The problem is Montreal's ridiculous need for a French Canadian in the front office/coach position.  I'd be scared to death of them firing him and bringing Patrick Roy 

My favorite comment was something like Bowman could be available and he'd be looked over for Milbury because Milbury speaks better french.

The rumours of Drouin being sought after because he's "french" even thought Montreal needed Sergahev like nobodys business are stark and frightening.

Montreal needs Quebec to have a hockey team more than the league does I think.  If nothing else to allow them to sign/draft and retain non french speaking personel 

Just now, Warhippy said:

My favorite comment was something like Bowman could be available and he'd be looked over for Milbury because Milbury speaks better french.

The rumours of Drouin being sought after because he's "french" even thought Montreal needed Sergahev like nobodys business are stark and frightening.

Montreal needs Quebec to have a hockey team more than the league does I think.  If nothing else to allow them to sign/draft and retain non french speaking personel 

It's the insane French media, politicians, and a portion of the fans.  They see an Anglo in a position of power there as an affront to their heritage.  Really handcuffs the team.  Sami Koivu was one of the classiest guys in the world and Montreals 2nd longest serving Captain. and he was treated like crap by the media because he didn't speak French. 

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Although I'd rather see Roy in Montreal than Pierre McGuire. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I still think that Sakic goes just before or just after Duchene.

But now I am not sure if he goes before or after Bergevin

I hope Bergevin goes first, mostly because I dislike him the most :lol:

I'm not convinced that Duchene would be bad for us... he's only 26 so he could be part of the next group if he's with us for 5-6 years. 

I still don't quite understand why you think he's due for a major decline in production like Roy though, are you thinking durability? injuries? 

I think no matter what Col would have to take one of our forwards back in a deal ( we have so many)

Juolevi+ Burmistrov + 3rd wouldn't be bad at all.

This year:

Duchene Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Baertschi Granlund Vanek

gagner Sutter Dorsett

next year say we land Evander Kane in FA and Sedins retire (although i think they will play next year)

Duchene Horvat Boeser

Kane Petterson Dahlin

Baertschi Granlund Virtanen

Gagner Sutter Dorsett 

We will likely have a top pick this year and it seems this draft class has some pretty good D. 

5 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I think no matter what Col would have to take one of our forwards back in a deal ( we have so many)

Juolevi+ Burmistrov + 3rd wouldn't be bad at all.

This year:

Duchene Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Baertschi Granlund Vanek

gagner Sutter Dorsett

Sure but we'd be a good $4M or so over the cap. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I hope Bergevin goes first, mostly because I dislike him the most :lol:

I'm not convinced that Duchene would be bad for us... he's only 26 so he could be part of the next group if he's with us for 5-6 years. 

I still don't quite understand why you think he's due for a major decline in production like Roy though, are you thinking durability? injuries? 

I don't see him being THAT much better of an upgrade over Sutter that we give up so many futures for him.

At his peak I can see him at 70 points for a single year or two tops.  His production doesn't dictate the asking price Sakic has demanded or the offers many have suggested for him.

With 1st line minutes with amazing offensive partners he didn't break 70 points with prime PP time no less.  Then his comments about Vegas over playoffs...

I just don't see his production increasing and see more static numbers or reductions as being more likely

As reluctant I am trading a recent 5th overall draft pick+ for a 26 year old 1st line forward, I think with a few other moves we could find our immediate Sedin replacements and add bluechip defensive prospects.

For example:

COL: Juolevi + Gagner (cap purposes) + pick to even out value

VAN: Duchene

TOR: Tanev

VAN: Liljegren + TOR 2nd

At the draft select one of the highly rated defence prospects with our 1st round selection (Dahlin, Hughes, or Smith depending on our draft position).

In the offseason the if Sedins retire sign Evander Kane to a long term contract.

18 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

As reluctant I am trading a recent 5th overall draft pick+ for a 26 year old 1st line forward, I think with a few other moves we could find our immediate Sedin replacements and add bluechip defensive prospects.

For example:

COL: Juolevi + Gagner (cap purposes) + pick to even out value

VAN: Duchene

TOR: Tanev

VAN: Liljegren + TOR 2nd

At the draft select one of the highly rated defence prospects with our 1st round selection (Dahlin, Hughes, or Smith depending on our draft position).

In the offseason the if Sedins retire sign Evander Kane to a long term contract.

Is Duchene really a first line player though?  I think @Warhippy makes a good argument that Duchene is no longer a first line player. 

I think we will regret it if we trade OJ.  Especially for a 27 year old Duchene.  We dont need him with Sutter, Horvat, Gaunce, Gaudette and Petterson in the pipelines.  

With the way Virtanen is working with the Sedins they could provide some great secondary scoring and we could end up with 2a,b,c lines which will more than make up for a true 1rst line.

Not to mention if we don't end up with a top 5 pick this year we wont have a top end defensive prospect.

Archived