The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tragically Hip Gord Downie Passed away

Mackcanuck

I was able to watch the Hip twice. Once at the old Winnipeg arena when Phantom Planet was released, then again in 2000 in Minneapolis.

The Minneapolis show still might be one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen. It took place at an outdoor amphitheater at a zoo. Temperature was pushing 35 degrees and was incredibly humid. Such a phenomenal, intimate show. I was fortunate to catch one of the drumsticks and the setlist on the stage, but have since lost them.

Either way, terrific memories from back in the day, as well as blasting the Hip in university. Coke Machine Glow also holds a special place in my heart.

The New York Times says it beautifully:

The place of honor that Mr. Downie occupies in Canada’s national imagination has no parallel in the United States. Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you’re getting close.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/arts/music/gord-downie-tragically-hip-dead-final-album.html

He was so iconic and such an incredible human being. One of my biggest regrets was passing on the opportunity to see the Hip live in Brandon about 5 years ago. Regardless, his legend will live on for eternity in this country.

They really are Canada's band, I especially liked their hockey connections for obvious reasons but the stories told in their songs were really good. I remember getting the Up To Here tape and loving it, it always meant a lot to have all the songs be good back then since fast forwarding was a hassle.

On 10/18/2017 at 3:48 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I saw this in the theatre and recommend everyone tune in on Friday night:

In celebration of the life of the unforgettable Gord Downie, CTV announced today it will now present the acclaimed film about The Tragically Hip, LONG TIME RUNNING, in a special advance, commercial-free world television premiere event this Friday, October 20 at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

I don't know if I'm actually prepared to watch this tonight... :( 

12 hours ago, Canuckas said:

I never saw someone say that before

Well played, sir.^_^

The hockey angle is a personal one for me. For years and through several lineup changes, I've tried to talk my bandmates into picking up "Fireworks". The response is always that there are "better" Hip songs.

I'm the only hockey player in the crew....:sadno:

On 10/21/2017 at 2:43 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Can't believe the fascination with him. I didn't know who he was until last year :unsure:

If you listened to their music then you would know why people like them.  In the late 80s and 90s they were as hip as they come.  Where I worked it was all uni students and we worked in the outdoors.  In camp we listened to the Doors, Zeppelin, The Red Hots, and the Hip.  That is the company they kept.     

In that period they represented Canadian youth culture better than any band in Canada or outside.  Lyrics wise Gord is up there with Neil Young and Cohen.  

8 hours ago, samurai said:

If you listened to their music then you would know why people like them.  In the late 80s and 90s they were as hip as they come.  Where I worked it was all uni students and we worked in the outdoors.  In camp we listened to the Doors, Zeppelin, The Red Hots, and the Hip.  That is the company they kept.     

In that period they represented Canadian youth culture better than any band in Canada or outside.  Lyrics wise Gord is up there with Neil Young and Cohen. 

I'd add Neil Peart and Becker and Fagen to that list, but yes, Gord was up there with all of them...

Watched "Secret Path" on CBC last night. Really well done and the animation running throughout the show was hard to watch at times...As a dad, the song that hit me hardest was "Son".

I hope that Gord's bringing Chanie's story into the public eye has an effect on what we teach our kids in school. Even though it's a shameful part of our history, it's still our history and we can't sugarcoat it for our kids.

Archived