The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Messier's Contract with the Canucks: A handwritten piece of hockey history

Where's Wellwood

3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

The number of cross-outs and additions made in pencil/different coloured pen is also interesting. As the years passed by, did someone go back to the contract and update it with things that wouldn't happen?

This is the contract *proposal* by Keenan's sith apprentice, so the cross-outs and additions made in different coloured pen were most likely made by the team (jedi council) negotiating on the other side of the table (holoprojector?).

i see nothing wrong at all with this

messier was entitled to take care of the business side of his career

there is nothing in the contract that is particularly outrageous

some terms are presently not allowed in a cap era

and what is shown are working notes regarding a proposed contract

it is not the actual contract, but likely it will be similar

hate messier all you want, i'm not a fan of his, but he should be free to forward his own business interests

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i see nothing wrong at all with this

messier was entitled to take care of the business side of his career

there is nothing in the contract that is particularly outrageous

some terms are presently not allowed in a cap era

and what is shown are working notes regarding a proposed contract

it is not the actual contract, but likely it will be similar

hate messier all you want, i'm not a fan of his, but he should be free to forward his own business interests

The only thing that really rubs me the wrong way, is how forceful he was about wearing #11, totally disgraceful thing to do.

1 minute ago, VanGnome said:

The only thing that really rubs me the wrong way, is how forceful he was about wearing #11, totally disgraceful thing to do.

he is an iconic nhler

he is a hall of famer

he is entitled to his jersey number if that is important to him

apparently it was as that likely was a deal breaker for him

the canucks could have said no .   there are 2 parties to this deal don't forget

the canucks willingly agreed to this deal

so dump on them equally

3 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Taking the C away from our long time Captain was a joke, should have never happened. The hiring of Keenan and signing of Messier have to be 2 of the worst moves this organization ever made.

5 hours ago, Yotes said:

Taking the C away from our long time Captain was a joke, should have never happened. The hiring of Keenan and signing of Messier have to be 2 of the worst moves this organization ever made.

i dislike messier

i detest keenan

but keenan's trading of linden was very shrewd

linden came back later at no cost

linden was traded for Bryan McCabe, Todd Bertuzzi, and the third round pick who ultimately became Jarkko Ruutu

McCabe was later a critical piece in a trade that allowed the canucks to draft both sedins

so linden ultimately helped the team acquire the sedins through this trade

and helped obtain a key piece for the westcoast express line

this trade is certainly in the top 10 of great all time canuck trades

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i dislike messier

i detest keenan

but keenan's trading of linden was very shrewd

linden came back later at no cost

linden was traded for Bryan McCabe, Todd Bertuzzi, and the third round pick who ultimately became Jarkko Ruutu

McCabe was later a critical piece in a trade that allowed the canucks to draft both sedins

so linden ultimately helped the team acquire the sedins through this trade

and helped obtain a key piece for the westcoast express line

this trade is certainly in the top 10 of great all time canuck trades

yes the return for Linden was good dont get me wrong, still dont want to give Keenan any credit for it though haha

6 minutes ago, Yotes said:

yes the return for Linden was good dont get me wrong, still dont want to give Keenan any credit for it though haha

i'm with you about giving keenan credit

this trade is the only thing i give keenan credit for though

it really helped the canucks massively for the next decade (and beyond)

edit: and as an aside, keenan was hired primarily as a coach but his contract permitted him to make trades too ... shows you how desperate canuck management was at the time to  allow unusual contract terms for both keenan and messier

Kinda weird coincidence.  

Vancouver loses heartbreaking 7 game series in Stanley Cup final.  Hires the guy that beat them, Keenan.  Goes on to have some of the worst seasons in team history.

Vancouver loses heartbreaking 7 game series in Stanley Cup final.  Hires a guy that beat them, Benning.  Goes on to have some of the worst seasons in team history.  

18 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Kinda weird coincidence.  

Vancouver loses heartbreaking 7 game series in Stanley Cup final.  Hires the guy that beat them, Keenan.  Goes on to have some of the worst seasons in team history.

Vancouver loses heartbreaking 7 game series in Stanley Cup final.  Hires a guy that beat them, Benning.  Goes on to have some of the worst seasons in team history.  

Nothing weirder than the teams that fire their coaches hire those very coaches to coach their teams....

Torts & AV.

Archived