The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Home blue OR half season blue, half white?

Slegr

I grew up when the Canucks wore home white. I loved it, as the visitors wore all their colourful jerseys rather than just bland visitor white. 

I think the WHL often flips colours around, starting the season with home dark, then in the second half going home light.  I'd vote for half season dark and half light jerseys at home to give fans the treat of seeing both jerseys at home throughtout the season. 

What would you prefer?

When I started watching hockey, they wore white, and while I did like that, I feel that you can see more of a team identity when they wear their team colours at home. Makes more sense to me.

Also, a little known fact is that they originally wore their coloured jerseys at home. I think they switched to white in the 80s or something. Maybe some veteran fans can confirm?

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

When I started watching hockey, they wore white, and while I did like that, I feel that you can see more of a team identity when they wear their team colours at home. Makes more sense to me.

Also, a little known fact is that they originally wore their coloured jerseys at home. I think they switched to white in the 80s or something. Maybe some veteran fans can confirm?

Hockey Night In Canada recommended that the NHL switch in 1970 to the home team wearing white jerseys in order to show off visiting team’s away jerseys (which were considered more attractive) for colour broadcasts. So between the 1970-71 and 2002-03 season, you witnessed the home teams wearing white jerseys.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hockey Night In Canada recommended that the NHL switch in 1970 to the home team wearing white jerseys in order to show off visiting team’s away jerseys (which were considered more attractive) for colour broadcasts. So between the 1970-71 and 2002-03 season, you witnessed the home teams wearing white jerseys.

Didn't the away team wear their colors back in the day because they weren’t always able to wash them during road trips and the white jerseys got so blood stained that it made more sense for them to wear the colored ones? 

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

1 hour ago, The Game said:

Didn't the away team wear their colors back in the day because they weren’t always able to wash them during road trips and the white jerseys got so blood stained that it made more sense for them to wear the colored ones? 

As far as i know this is the reason. I would prefer white at home and have the other teams show their different colours. Each game has its own feel in my opinion. I seem to remember bettman saying wearing the darks at home was only going to be one season.

I like the coloured home jerseys the best. I feel like you have more of an identity that way.

I liked in the 10-11 season when they had the 40 year anniversary white home jersey's. I wouldn't be against whites at home in that case, every so often, preferably an alternate white than the standard away white.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

If you want to go way back, I've seen footage of Rangers-Habs and Habs-Leafs games where they both wore their coloured jerseys.  And if I recall correctly, a few years back the NHL did a game to open the season like that.  I can't remember what the occasion was.

Personally, I prefer home whites.  It's what I grew up with.

I wish they'd go back to the home whites, always enjoyed seeing the colourful visitor's jerseys which changed every game (eg. Philly's in town, so we'll see those orange and black jerseys, then STL is in town and we'll see the blue, yellow and black, etc). Today, every game has the visitors wearing white, which is kind of boring IMO.

Colored home jerseys.. it really makes the crowd look like a Canucks crowd, especially in the playoffs... and visitors still stand out, like all the red mixed with blue when the Canadiens are in town. If every arena was full of white I feel it would look quite bland.

Archived