The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ottawa trades Dion Phaneuf and Nate Thompson to LAK for Marian Gaborik and Nick Shore

Dombrova22

Ottawa is trash.. And they just got worse. I don't see why Karlsson would want to return to a horrible team with no good defenceman but him. At least Phagoof had some backbone, Gaborik couldn't beat up a Sedin.

Maybe they'll take Eriksson/Edler for Gaborik now. Just nobody tell them they both stink and play like they're 5'0.

39 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Phaneuf had a NMC with a LNTC, so there were a limited number of teams out there they could deal with. But they can turn around and flip Gaborik wherever they can if a deal presents itself.

Not to mention, because of the NMC, now LA is likely stuck protecting Dion in the Seattle expansion draft. Ottawa definitely didn't want to do THAT again.

To be fair... When you look back, it doesn't seem like Ottawa lost much. 

Methot got flipped to Dallas for a 2020 2nd... His 4.9 million cap hit is atrocious and he doesn't even have a single point this year. 

Ottawa really doesnt have much to protect if there was expansion this year... They would cover all their good players regardless 

I really hope they do flip Gaborik to a contender... I doubt anyone will bite though. Would love to see him go back to Minni. That would be a good feel story... Reaaalgud

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

To be fair... When you look back, it doesn't seem like Ottawa lost much. 

Methot got flipped to Dallas for a 2020 2nd... His 4.9 million cap hit is atrocious and he doesn't even have a single point this year. 

Ottawa really doesnt have much to protect if there was expansion this year... They would cover all their good players regardless 

I really hope they do flip Gaborik to a contender... I doubt anyone will bite though. Would love to see him go back to Minni. That would be a good feel story... Reaaalgud

this aint fantasy hockey, apollo.

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Don't get it. 

Ottawa actually takes on more cap so it's not cap relief. 

Term on the big pieces is the same.  3 years after this

LA gets older (32 + 33) vs (35 + 25) but Ott gets the oldest player 

Apparently the Senators will save $4 million in actual paid salary, which shouldn't surprise you at all if you know Eugene Melnyk.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

He has a 12 team trade list.

Yeah that's most playoff teams. I mean I'm not saying trade Phaneuf and thompson for mcdavid here. Just like get a second and a third back with gaboric or something that doesn't make this deal as lopsided as it is otherwise why agree to retain salary?

I guess now obviously the #1 thing here is the 5m cash for the sens cheap ass owner lol. 

Feel bad for the kids in Ottawa that bought a Senators jersey during last year's playoff run.

Such high hopes they must have had.

On the bright side, though, if there is one....

The Sens probably did better here than the Leafs did when they dealt Phaneuf (after re-signing him, when he was younger...)

Phaneuf and spare parts/contracts (Frattin, Bailey, Rupert, Donaghey)

for

MIchalek, Greening, Cowen, Lindberg, 2nd.   There was literally nothing serviceable there for the Leafs / cap dumps. 

I mean it coulda/woulda cost Ottawa a 2nd just to rid themelves of those three contracts.... Aside from the pick, Greening (with a 15 pt season) turned out to be the best asset the Leafs got.

Arguably the Sens have done better than what they 'spent' (after getting some decent service out of DP) - at least they got a decent young defensive depth center out of this deal.

Good news - Dion has moved. Helps another Canadian market and makes teams gauge whether or not they need to load up.  If LA goes on a tidy run it's going to make some teams nervous.

Which is great for drying up the defender market quick. Let's see if LA can do us a favor and win a healthy stretch. :)

3 minutes ago, teepain said:

Dorian is daydreaming about gaborik in 2010 days . I think OTT lost out on the deal, when they could have waited til the deadline. Def was needed for playoff teams.

They need space for kids and cash relief.  It's a win win for both teams imo.  Dion is a real character guy.  Just watched video of send players and coach reacting to the news.

Recommend checking those out.

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Don't get it. 

Ottawa actually takes on more cap so it's not cap relief. 

Term on the big pieces is the same.  3 years after this

LA gets older (32 + 33) vs (35 + 25) but Ott gets the oldest player 

Salary relief - they are saving close to 5.5M.  Melnyk thinks they are spending too much money re his comments at the outdoor game in December.

5 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Gaborik is top 4 in scoring the last 6 or 7 years in total.    So Ottawa is definitely adding scoring depth.

Canucks though are going to be rubbed into the boards a little more with this trade lol 

Not by Phaneuf they aren't. He's slower than Chara. 

Archived