The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks turned down offer of a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson

Adarsh Sant

14 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Botch and Sekeres are determined to discredit Benning with the public because they think that ownership is following the media and will believe what they hear.

For starters, Benning said that he was going to try to re-sign Gudbranson.  There was never going to be a trade UNLESS an agreement could not be made.  It was always assumed that it couldn't be made so for a long time people have been saying that Guddy was on the block.  He was never on the block.

Botch and Sekeres are fixated on draft picks.  When asked, what his strengths were on HNIC, Benning said drafting and development.  Drafting is one thing, and developing is another.  Both need to be done well and each requires 50% of the effort.  You have to be careful that the team retains the structure necessary to develop players.  

Who was doing the 1040 show when they drafted Juolevi. The way they handled that pissed me right off. They were super disappointed/sad and talking how we should of drafted Tkachuk. like seriously.  Do your listeners a favour and talk about the kid we drafted and not your own love affair. your not a scout, a gm, or anything other than a talking head.  Think that was Sekeres and Price. So pissed. I go back and listen to those audio clips every now and again to relive the drafting experience and that one always pisses me off.  If anyone knows who "sighed.. then said we should of drafted MT" I would appreciate knowing which one of the terds it was. I can't tell them apart lol.  

Botch and JPat are fun trolls to listen too when they just talk hockey.  Not the crap talking they do.  really upset with some of their questions towards green lately too.

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Who was doing the 1040 show when they drafted Juolevi. The way they handled that pissed me right off. They were super disappointed/sad and talking how we should of drafted Tkachuk. like seriously.  Do your listeners a favour and talk about the kid we drafted and not your own love affair. your not a scout, a gm, or anything other than a talking head.  Think that was Sekeres and Price. So pissed. I go back and listen to those audio clips every now and again to relive the drafting experience and that one always pisses me off.  If anyone knows who "sighed.. then said we should of drafted MT" I would appreciate knowing which one of the terds it was. I can't tell them apart lol.  

Botch and JPat are fun trolls to listen too when they just talk hockey.  Not the crap talking they do.  really upset with some of their questions towards green lately too.

If we took Tkachuk, they would have been belly aching about how we should have taken Juolevi.  They are post modern trolls.  Never happy with anything, and literally make a living on the controversy they drum up.  True yellow journalists.

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

the Canucks took significantly less money to go with 650... what does that tell you? 1040 and idiots like Botchford are the prime drivers of the negativity in this market. 

13 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Who was doing the 1040 show when they drafted Juolevi. The way they handled that pissed me right off. They were super disappointed/sad and talking how we should of drafted Tkachuk. like seriously.

Ummm, to be fair, Tkachuk is currently starring in the best hockey-league in the world - while Juolevi is getting healthy-scratched (multiple games in a row) in the 5th or 6th best league (and was then demoted to the bottom-pairing when he returned to the lineup).  Benning appears to have made an absolutely humongous mistake.  Made even worse when you consider that Benning is, right now, saying that we desperately need a big, strong, mean forward.  And, it will look a hell of a lot worse if we somehow end up with his brother at the draft.

Botchford took it from this part of Ian MacIntyre's article. Fwiw I think Imac is speaking purely in the hypothetical, rather than an actual offer. I'd take that trade in a heartbeat, picks not projects. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-signing-gudbranson-better-option-trading-picks/

But if the choice – the main choice because this is a many-tentacled issue – was between re-signing Gudbranson, 26, or trading him for, say, second- and fourth-round draft picks, then the Canucks made the right call.

The only way a Gudbranson trade would have worked for the Canucks was to get back a good early-20s player ready to help them next season. And National Hockey League teams don’t tend to surrender those.

1 minute ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, to be fair, Tkachuk is currently starring in the best hockey-league in the world - while Juolevi is getting healthy-scratched (multiple games in a row) in the 5th or 6th best league (and was then demoted to the bottom-pairing when he returned to the lineup).  Benning appears to have made an absolutely humongous mistake.  Made even worse when you consider that Benning is, right now, saying that we desperately need a big, strong, mean forward.  And, it will look a hell of a lot worse if we somehow end up with his brother at the draft.

People were whining about Bourdon too.  Defensemen with Juolevi's skillset do tend to take some time to develop.  We also have guys like Gaudette, Lind, and Gadjovich developing, none of whom will ever be Lady Byng candidates.

Archived