The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] The Sedins to retire at the end of the season

HerrDrFunk

I'm having a hard time coming to acceptance with this. This just isn't right... Luongo leaving type of feeling :(

They deserved to go off with a Cup. Their interview before the season, made them seem like they want to stay and play 1 or 2 more years. I thought they could stick around and groom Elias and Co. They spoke of only wanting to win a cup for this team.

I will be extremely disappointed if they don't remain with the team at some capacity.

One part of me has me thinking my role models let me down and they didn't try to fight for the crest one more year, but the other part of me thinks I should respect their decision based on what they've accomplished.

If they feel they've left it all on the ice, the so be it. I respect that. They've earned it after all they've done.

Man... I really hope they Mike Fisher / Mats Sundin, and sign with the team again in February when we're in the playoff hunt and just boost the team to a cup. DREAM ON! I legit 4% think this could happen.

It's hard not to get sentimental about it but thank god for the youth movement and the future. It didn't need to be stalled by another year just for a farewell season, which this city loves to do, instead of making the hard decisions, without heart strings attached, that are best for the teams future chances of winning a Stanley Cup.

Good on them for not delaying the Canucks as a franchise for the sake of a couple million more dollars, and more importantly, as they pointed out, invaluable time lost with family.

8 minutes ago, apollo said:

One part of me has me thinking my role models let me down and they didn't try to fight for the crest one more year, but the other part of me thinks I should respect their decision based on what they've accomplished.

I am all about the latter. Moving on to make room for the young players is about the classiest, team-first thing they could've done, especially considering they are still NHL calibre players. Leaving before they've outstayed their welcome and they'll always be remembered for all the right reasons.

14 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Teared up reading that.

People can say whatever they want but that 2011 Canucks team are all champions.

This was also a nice listen, not sure if it has been posted or not

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

And the PA playing through every stoppage.

Still, hope it happens,  I have a feeling it would mean a lot to the twins to see that happen for them .... and well, since I can’t be there,  Id be damn proud of our fans there for doing it  as a final send off ( for all of us ) 

I remember when they were just two bobble headed draft picks and Burke shook the hockey world with his aggressive move at the draft. 

Although they came within a game of bringing this franchise what it so desperately wants, they gave it their all and were true class acts. 

They owe us nothing we owe them gratitude for 18 years of doing it the right way. 

We had 10 years of having a chance to win it all with them..some years better than others.  It was a wild ride and I got nothing but admiration.

Time for a new direction and new leaders to emerge. 

Well it's officially the end of an era. The 2011 team, is all but gone. 

It's going to be amazing to watch Bo, Boeser, and the other up and comers make this team their own and usher in a new era of Canucks Hockey.

All the best to Danny and Hank. I'll miss watching them play.

Really not sure I believe they "knew" this would be their decision back in November.  I wonder how  much injuries has to do with it.  We keep hearing how often they played through injuries.  The team will continue, I just hope they don't regret the timing.

Yea, I am rambling.  Still doesn't seem real.  I am going to be at the game on Thursday.  This is going to be hard.

2 minutes ago, JoGuitar said:

Well it's officially the end of an era. The 2011 team, is all but gone. 

It's going to be amazing to watch Bo, Boeser, and the other up and comers make this team their own and usher in a new era of Canucks Hockey.

All the best to Danny and Hank. I'll miss watching them play.

Who would have known Edler and Tanev would be the last men standing.  Seven years.  Wow.

Archived