The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] The Sedins to retire at the end of the season

HerrDrFunk

15 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Who should get the final game, period, or shift with the twins?

Gagner or Virtanen?  I'd love to see Jake out there with them.  Obviously it's up to them.

I hope they are on the ice with Bo. Pass the torch.

It’s nice to see the Sedins receive all the praise they are getting, especially from teams that are said to be hated rivals.  It’s well deserved.  This morning on flames fan 960, Stephen Brunt (the TO homer) was on talking about how people in Toronto don’t believe they should be hall of famers and that they didn’t really accomplish a whole lot.  Flames host surprisingly came to the twins defense,  and then they immediately changed Brunt’s mind when they pointed out that if they twins played for TO, they would sit 1st and 2nd overall in points for that franchise.   That they both put up 100+ more points than their loved Sittler, and that they only reason TO fans wouldn’t appreciate how great the twins were is because the eastern bias where the people don’t stay up to watch western hockey.  

Anyways I got a good chuckle out of it and thought it was pretty cool to see a Flames station stick up for the twins.  Also Burke was on last night and had a really good discussion on them and why he drafted them.  It’s a really good listen, 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-show/brian-burke-sedins-worked-tails-off-successful/

57 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Gagner or Virtanen?  I'd love to see Jake out there with them.  Obviously it's up to them.

I think every skater on the team should take at least one shift with them.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Burrows will parachute in for this special occasion..:)

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We are all here - don't fool yourself - we've been waiting for this for a long time but today is not about our opinions !   Today is only about our thanks to them for  all they've done and we do appreciate their great efforts.

A long time?  RU Serious?

In the last 4 seasons, Danny had 76, 61, 44 and 52 pts.  Hank had 73, 55. 51 and 48pts.  During those seasons, the twins had the most points on the team in the first two and were 2nd in the remaining two.

It will not be easy for the Canucks to replace what they bring to the team.

33 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s nice to see the Sedins receive all the praise they are getting, especially from teams that are said to be hated rivals.  It’s well deserved.  This morning on flames fan 960, Stephen Brunt (the TO homer) was on talking about how people in Toronto don’t believe they should be hall of famers and that they didn’t really accomplish a whole lot.  Flames host surprisingly came to the twins defense,  and then they immediately changed Brunt’s mind when they pointed out that if they twins played for TO, they would sit 1st and 2nd overall in points for that franchise.   That they both put up 100+ more points than their loved Sittler, and that they only reason TO fans wouldn’t appreciate how great the twins were is because the eastern bias where the people don’t stay up to watch western hockey.  

Anyways I got a good chuckle out of it and thought it was pretty cool to see a Flames station stick up for the twins.  Also Burke was on last night and had a really good discussion on them and why he drafted them.  It’s a really good listen, 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-show/brian-burke-sedins-worked-tails-off-successful/

They never got enough respect from this side of the country, even when we were in the final it was obvious CBC/Cherry etc. were rooting for Boston, as were a substantial amount of Canadian fans .... Ugh.  Hopefully this will slowly be rectified, the number of people talking about this encouraging...Also Torts, and eastern coach, had a lot of misconceptions about the Sedins which he attested to as completely false (that they weren't tough) when he came here.   Media really didn't do them any favours, it's awesome to see all the praise they are getting now from a huge variety of sources, more than Alfie got when he packed it in.

32 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Gulutzan, Backlund, and Gio made some really great statements about the Sedins yesterday. Gives me a new respect for the team.

Hopefully McDavid can corral the Oilers at the upcoming game in Edmonton and do what's right. I hearken back to how Henrik brought the team back out during Ryan Smyth's last game, and how truly great a gesture that was. Obviously it was a nod to Iginla's amazing gesture to Linden.

Man, this is weird how final it is. I've wanted to see the page turn on the old core, but now it seems to sting a little.

I watched the National on CBC last night - and was surprised to see  they covered the Sedins' retirement just before the news ended -  it did surprise me .

Having all day yesterday  this and a night to sleep on it  I woke up this morning realized they have done the right thing - sad as it is - it is the right thing for them, for their families and for the Canucks. Making room so young players can come in while knowing there are still enough veteran team mates on contract to mentor. But don't think for one minute they won't be missed over the next couple of seasons. There are 2 pair of very large skates to fill

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Horvat?  We could call it the "Passing of the Torch" line.

Archived