The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] The Sedins to retire at the end of the season

HerrDrFunk

I’ve always cheered for the twins and when people would call them the sisters it pissed me off. 

The news today made me happy. Happy they get to retire before the wheels fall completely off and happy that the team gets to move on.

There will be no farewell tour next year with them getting gifts and tributes in every building which is in keeping with their personalities. They will both end up in the HHOF as they should and it just feels like the perfect time for them to ride off into the sun.

Brave new days ahead - GCG!

Kinda surprisingly bummed, but fully respect their decision.

Was pleasantly surprised to hear all the warm tributes from the local (to me) Calgary media, who normally love any opportunity to take a shot at the Canucks. Was very cool to see that they "get it" and put aside the rivalry to show how much they really respect & admire the guys.

23 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I’ve always cheered for the twins and when people would call them the sisters it pissed me off. 

The news today made me happy. Happy they get to retire before the wheels fall completely off and happy that the team gets to move on.

There will be no farewell tour next year with them getting gifts and tributes in every building which is in keeping with their personalities. They will both end up in the HHOF as they should and it just feels like the perfect time for them to ride off into the sun.

Brave new days ahead - GCG!

Very true. As much as I will miss the Sedins, they have allowed for a wholesale change to the team to occur. 

This move by the Sedins is such a brilliantly selfless move; it shows a sense of pride and faith in the future that they are willing to step aside to let it happen. 

Legends. 

I keep checking this thread and it's making me more emotional. It's so hard to imagine what things will be like without them on the team. I haven't been able to watch many games this season because college has kept me super busy, but I'll make sure to watch the final game.

Been watching youtube videos of certain players responding to Sedins retiring. Just finished Doan's interview and listening to him talk about the Sedins is so heartwarming. The respect he has for the Sedins is fantastic. I wish more fans of hockey could hear it. Very good listen. He mentions how tough they are dealing with the toughest opponents every night, taking a beating by everyone as they try to slow them down. I strongly suggest people take a listen. He holds them in such high regard. 

thats-good-emperor-palpatine-meme.png.44da45bfe1ca761369dc0804540747ac.png

In all seriousness though, when my Dad broke the news to me this afternoon I was happy initially but shortly thereafter a feeling of melancholy came over me and still lingers all these hours later. I guess I figured there was no way the Sedins would retire after this season and they'd be around for at least one more. I'm excited to start a new chapter in the Canucks story and even though I couldn't wait for the Sedin era to be over, now that it's for real it is somber news nonetheless.

All the best to Henrik and Daniel in the future.

Thank you Daniel & Henrik for all you have provided to the team and community.  I always knew you would make what I agree is the right decision at the right time.

You have just unlocked the door to allow the NEW ERA TO BEGIN.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Been watching youtube videos of certain players responding to Sedins retiring. Just finished Doan's interview and listening to him talk about the Sedins is so heartwarming. The respect he has for the Sedins is fantastic. I wish more fans of hockey could hear it. Very good listen. He mentions how tough they are dealing with the toughest opponents every night, taking a beating by everyone as they try to slow them down. I strongly suggest people take a listen. He holds them in such high regard. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=reaction+to+sedins+retirement

right here all the tributes from other players.

3 hours ago, apollo said:

I'm having a hard time coming to acceptance with this. This just isn't right... Luongo leaving type of feeling :(

They deserved to go off with a Cup. Their interview before the season, made them seem like they want to stay and play 1 or 2 more years. I thought they could stick around and groom Elias and Co. They spoke of only wanting to win a cup for this team.

I will be extremely disappointed if they don't remain with the team at some capacity.

One part of me has me thinking my role models let me down and they didn't try to fight for the crest one more year, but the other part of me thinks I should respect their decision based on what they've accomplished.

If they feel they've left it all on the ice, the so be it. I respect that. They've earned it after all they've done.

Man... I really hope they Mike Fisher / Mats Sundin, and sign with the team again in February when we're in the playoff hunt and just boost the team to a cup. DREAM ON! I legit 4% think this could happen.

I wish that entire 2011 team won the cup, everyone on that roster was awesome. Everyday of my life I watch game 7 vs Chicago and cry. Most of all the Sedins deserve a cup, played there hearts out for this city, I hope they change there decision and win a cup with Elias next season.

15 hours ago, KyoNami said:

Funny how the "Sedns should retire" crowd ain't here. 

Absolute honour to watch these guys, they've earned this retirement without a doubt.

We are all here - don't fool yourself - we've been waiting for this for a long time but today is not about our opinions !   Today is only about our thanks to them for  all they've done and we do appreciate their great efforts.

This is so sad at so many levels, as a Lakers fan losing Kobe was tough a couple years back and I started watching the Canucks in 05-06 right as the Sedins began to breakout into superstars.

It will be weird to watch not seeing 22 and 33 out there as it was not seeing 24 out there with the lakers, but the new era will be a great one with Pettersson, Boeser, and company taking over.

Archived