The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] The Sedins to retire at the end of the season

HerrDrFunk

Man, I was choked up at work when I got the notifications. It's insane, I really thought they'd come back for one last go around. But at the same time this is very fitting, instead of going through one last goodbye tour they're fading quietly and gracefully into retirement while they still belong and can still produce. I feel like I'm losing two friends, it's truly the end of an era. Likely the end of the best era of Canucks hockey I'll have the pleasure of watching.

To say next season is gonna be interesting is a massive understatement, same with this offseason.

All the best to Henrik and Daniel !!!  I thought for sure they would play one more season.  Even though it's sad to see them retire, knowing that they can

play at a high level, I am happy that they are leaving on their term!! The last 3 games will be a lot of fun to watch.  I will enjoy every second they play.

It's great that they will still be living in Vancouver, it shows just how much they really enjoy(ed) playing and living in Vancity.  Absolute class act people!!  I'm sure they will still be around the team in the coming year(s), maybe even practicing with them from time to time.   Knowing the type of people they are, they will still be around to teach and give advice to the upcoming players. The Pettersson's, Dahlen's and Dahlin's :) will still benefit from the twins.  The Canucks and us fans are extremely lucky to have them play here!! Though they didn't win a cup, one way or another they will be involved in bringing the teams first cup in the early 2020s.

Mad respect for the Sedins. I'm certain they would like to play one more year, but the way things are in the organization, they can see they are blocking the way for youngsters who need ice-time. So they step aside to let the organization evolve. So unselfish, so classy, so typical Sedin. Today I admire them more than ever. 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Question - how many games,  if any,  has this franchise played without at least one of the twins in the lineup since the twins entered the league?    

I don't know myself but am very curious for my own reasons.  

Anyone? 

Seems to me there may have been a game they sat after the olympics 

26 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

All the best to Henrik and Daniel !!!  I thought for sure they would play one more season.  Even though it's sad to see them retire, knowing that they can

play at a high level, I am happy that they are leaving on their term!! The last 3 games will be a lot of fun to watch.  I will enjoy every second they play.

It's great that they will still be living in Vancouver, it shows just how much they really enjoy(ed) playing and living in Vancity.  Absolute class act people!!  I'm sure they will still be around the team in the coming year(s), maybe even practicing with them from time to time.   Knowing the type of people they are, they will still be around to teach and give advice to the upcoming players. The Pettersson's, Dahlen's and Dahlin's :) will still benefit from the twins.  The Canucks and us fans are extremely lucky to have them play here!! Though they didn't win a cup, one way or another they will be involved in bringing the teams first cup in the early 2020s.

That was a big surprise. That they are implying they will stay in Vancouver as their home. When for years it was just assumed they were going to high tail it back to Sweden the first chance they got. Maybe its just so their kids can finish school here with their friends. I always thought they'd go home and work for their old team Modo.

Archived