The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] The Sedins to retire at the end of the season

HerrDrFunk

What will this mean for free agency? We don’t want another LE contract and the team is not ready to compete for a cup, but there’s a lot of loose change available. A very good, but not too old D would be a welcome addition as would a large, gritty winger to protect our young ones. Who do you think we will/should pursue?

35 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Nice sweet purchase! I got some club 500 seats. Comes with free food and free non alcoholic drinks. Was wondering how much those would be worth. Don’t think I’d actually sell them just curious as to what they’d be worth.

If you don’t mind me asking, how much did it score your club seats for?!  And have fun at the game, I can’t wait!!  Although in a weird way I can wait because just knowing it’s going to be their last game played there I almost don’t want it to happen.... if that makes any sense!!? Lol

Just now, poetica said:

Very true. If he had just retired after not re-signing with Florida I think he would have gotten the fanfare he deserved.

I think so. I think too, that the Sedins retirement is really rare in that they are completely in control of it, going out while still being effective players (especially for their age) and played their entire NHL career with Vancouver.

Jagr's leaving the NHL and then returning as, essentially, a journeyman, did lessen his legacy. Being a healthy scratch for the Flames? Ouch.

And I think Jagr is a true HOF player. That's just a really anti-climatic ending.

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think so. I think too, that the Sedins retirement is really rare in that they are completely in control of it, going out while still being effective players (especially for their age) and played their entire NHL career with Vancouver.

Jagr's leaving the NHL and then returning as, essentially, a journeyman, did lessen his legacy. Being a healthy scratch for the Flames? Ouch.

And I think Jagr is a true HOF player. That's just a really anti-climatic ending.

Very true. Until the last season he was actually a valuable piece of their team in Florida. But the last year he was just not noticeable and there's nothing worse for a player of his caliber than that. It's sad that he didn't see the time to retire was then. Had he, I have no doubt the Panthers would have brought him back the following season to mark the occasion in a way fitting his career. As it stands, he just fizzled out and it does put a terrible ending to a great career that has earned him a spot in the HHoF for sure.

And that's why I'm glad Hank and Danny are going out on their own terms like this. I'm glad we'll have the chance to give them the send off they deserve. Not just for them but for us as fans. Every relationship needs closure and I'm glad we're all getting it in this case.

20 minutes ago, poetica said:

Very true. Until the last season he was actually a valuable piece of their team in Florida. But the last year he was just not noticeable and there's nothing worse for a player of his caliber than that. It's sad that he didn't see the time to retire was then. Had he, I have no doubt the Panthers would have brought him back the following season to mark the occasion in a way fitting his career. As it stands, he just fizzled out and it does put a terrible ending to a great career that has earned him a spot in the HHoFer for sure.

And that's why I'm glad Hank and Danny are going out on their own terms like this. I'm glad we'll have the chance to give them the send off they deserve. Not just for them but for us as fans. Every relationship needs closure and I'm glad we're all getting it in this case.

Exactly. Henrik and Daniel clearly realized that this was the best possible way to go out. I would have loved to have seen them hoist the Cup before they retired, but alas it never happened. I felt the same way about Linden, McLean, Odjick, Bure, Kesler, Luongo, Burrows, Bieksa, and Hamhuis too.

They have kept their legacy completely intact. The class, humility and brilliance of their careers has been encapsulated beautifully in how they have chosen to close the book on it. They are living legends who this team will honor for years to come, rightfully so.

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In fairness to him, it was probably too much to expect to miss camp, preseason, etc and just jump into the lineup a couple nights into the season.

Getting up to speed - at 45 yrs old - probably wasn't realistic.  He was well behind the starting gun, and just couldn't keep pace.

But I don't really look at it effecting his legacy - he's a bloody phenom regardless - and there's something to be said about both approaches - retiring while you can still play, vs seeing the clear end/wanting to play as long as he's effective (he also doesn't have a spouse, children, etc)....  At least he didn't Messier along for a couple more seasons lol. 

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

In fairness to him, it was probably too much to expect to miss camp, preseason, etc and just jump into the lineup a couple nights into the season.

Getting up to speed - at 45 yrs old - probably wasn't realistic.  He was well behind the starting gun, and just couldn't keep pace.

But I don't really look at it effecting his legacy - he's a bloody phenom regardless - and there's something to be said about both approaches - retiring while you can still play, vs seeing the clear end/wanting to play as long as he's effective (he also doesn't have a spouse, children, etc)....  At least he didn't Messier along for a couple more seasons lol. 

I really think the league as a whole did Jagr dirty when he wasn't signed until that late.  Had he been able to enjoy a typical offseason of security and preparation, I think he would have had another reasonable season, good enough that we might be talking about his salary for next year.

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s nice to see the Sedins receive all the praise they are getting, especially from teams that are said to be hated rivals.  It’s well deserved.  This morning on flames fan 960, Stephen Brunt (the TO homer) was on talking about how people in Toronto don’t believe they should be hall of famers and that they didn’t really accomplish a whole lot.  Flames host surprisingly came to the twins defense,  and then they immediately changed Brunt’s mind when they pointed out that if they twins played for TO, they would sit 1st and 2nd overall in points for that franchise.   That they both put up 100+ more points than their loved Sittler, and that they only reason TO fans wouldn’t appreciate how great the twins were is because the eastern bias where the people don’t stay up to watch western hockey.  

Anyways I got a good chuckle out of it and thought it was pretty cool to see a Flames station stick up for the twins.  Also Burke was on last night and had a really good discussion on them and why he drafted them.  It’s a really good listen, 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-show/brian-burke-sedins-worked-tails-off-successful/

People in Toronto only believe that those who are in the Laff organization, even the janitor, should be in the HHOF.

1 minute ago, ey40 said:

People in Toronto only believe that those who are in the Laff organization, even the janitor, should be in the HHOF.

Perhaps one day there will be room for the Sedins in the Hall of Fame, at some point after the induction of Jeff Reese and Rob Zettler.

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s nice to see the Sedins receive all the praise they are getting, especially from teams that are said to be hated rivals.  It’s well deserved.  This morning on flames fan 960, Stephen Brunt (the TO homer) was on talking about how people in Toronto don’t believe they should be hall of famers and that they didn’t really accomplish a whole lot.  Flames host surprisingly came to the twins defense,  and then they immediately changed Brunt’s mind when they pointed out that if they twins played for TO, they would sit 1st and 2nd overall in points for that franchise.   That they both put up 100+ more points than their loved Sittler, and that they only reason TO fans wouldn’t appreciate how great the twins were is because the eastern bias where the people don’t stay up to watch western hockey.  

Anyways I got a good chuckle out of it and thought it was pretty cool to see a Flames station stick up for the twins.  Also Burke was on last night and had a really good discussion on them and why he drafted them.  It’s a really good listen, 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-show/brian-burke-sedins-worked-tails-off-successful/

The Sedins also accomplished this in the era of two way hockey - not by feasting on half-lineups that could not play hockey without the puck - and scoring on modern goaltenders.

Sittler was outclassed in his best seasons by players like Guy Lafleur, Byan Trottier, Bobby Clarke, Bill Barber, Peter Mahovlich.  Never won any scoring titles.  Did Sittler ever make it beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs?   What much did he do lol?

Leafs Nation can suck on that.

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

What will this mean for free agency? We don’t want another LE contract and the team is not ready to compete for a cup, but there’s a lot of loose change available. A very good, but not too old D would be a welcome addition as would a large, gritty winger to protect our young ones. Who do you think we will/should pursue?

All part of the Master Rebuild Plan.  The past 4 years we've been accumulating and developing prospects while moving out old assets.  Now the roster has almost completely turned over, the best of those young players are almost ready to come in, and we have loads of capspace to both fill gaps and potentially even bring in notable UFAs.  In the meantime, the longer-term contracts have been staggered to allow for big raises for young players should they so deserve.  The transition period is nearly over, and the build-up to first playoffs then contention is about to begin.

1 hour ago, kirk mcleans baby said:

If you don’t mind me asking, how much did it score your club seats for?!  And have fun at the game, I can’t wait!!  Although in a weird way I can wait because just knowing it’s going to be their last game played there I almost don’t want it to happen.... if that makes any sense!!? Lol

It’ll be an emotional game for sure! One I’m sure nobody will want to end. I’m not sure how much the club seats are as they are the father in laws tickets. A very generous gift it’s looking like!

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

It’ll be an emotional game for sure! One I’m sure nobody will want to end. I’m not sure how much the club seats are as they are the father in laws tickets. A very generous gift it’s looking like!

Yeah, that’s one real nice gift right there!!  Hope you bought him a nice bottle for the gesture!? lol  

Well have a great time at the game, and I’m sure we’ll all be in here after discussing how amazing it was!  Cheers

Archived