Sutter

Bozak

We'd start with the puck a lot.

More like:

Bo 

Bozak 

Sutter

Gaudette

We've tried Sutter on the 2nd line... and he was inadequate.  He's good at draws, but his talent is not 2nd line level.

Just not sure where Pettersson would fit in here, as if we play Pettersson on the wing we don't have a #1 center prospect unless we expect Horvat to be that guy and at this time I'm more comfortable with him as a 2nd line center.

Really, if we did feel Pettersson did end up being ready it could be an immediate:

Horvat

Pettersson

Sutter 

Gaudette

1 minute ago, Canadian Clay said:

I would throw an 8 x 8 at Carlson. But I think he probably gets closer to 9 mill per year and I don’t think Jim will go that high. 

As for Bozak, I imagine he would want 4-5 years. If Canucks can overpay him on a shorter term contract, say 1-2 years at 5 mill per, then I’d go for it. But any longer and I think Jim should pass. He’ll probably get something like 4 yr 4 - 4.5 mill

Totally agree with Carlson, the D could use a new look and maybe someone to wrestle some minutes from Edler who needs a reduced role moving forward

In terms of Bozak I don't think he's worth 5 mil. Would you pay Gagner 5Mil a season? They've put up comparable numbers over the past couple years(including this year) and TB 4 years older then SG. The SG signing gets enough flack around here, I could only imagine what would happen if we gave Bozak 5 mil.

14 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

more tweeners yay!!!!

We're mid rebuild. Now is not the time to nab the top free agents. 'Tweeners' (AKA stop gaps) is largely what we should, and likely will, be targeting.

10 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I would throw an 8 x 8 at Carlson. But I think he probably gets closer to 9 mill per year and I don’t think Jim will go that high. 

As for Bozak, I imagine he would want 4-5 years. If Canucks can overpay him on a shorter term contract, say 1-2 years at 5 mill per, then I’d go for it. But any longer and I think Jim should pass. He’ll probably get something like 4 yr 4 - 4.5 mill

See above. Not the right time to be throwing out 8X8 contracts where the guys not worth his contract the last half. You do that once you've got our 'Kane, Toews, Kieth and Seabrook' in place and you bring in a 'Hossa'. 

We're not there yet.

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

FWIW, there was some buzz last weekend from back east about him not re-upping.  The cap is going up but unless teams do some big dumping the Canucks would have to be considered a front-runner.  Considering the direction of the team now, it's a good situation to come into.

vegas has even more cap available then the canucks

i think they will be the real player this offseason

and are much further ahead in terms of their team development / performance

for any elite seasoned vet to consider as a free agency option

28 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Why is no one mentioning Tavares? Easily the best UFA available this summer and the Nucks do have the cap space. Not sure if he would even come here or if he's what this team needs moving forward but come on how do you leave him off that list.

In terms of Bozak, thats a hard pass for me. He's not good enough to take Bo or Sutter's spot and would rather leave the other C spot to Peterson or Gaudette. We have lots of 3-4 centers on the team besides Bozak is old and is counter intuitive to the youth movement. 

Tavares wants to play for a contender.   That's the reason why many believe he won't stay in NYI - he wants a legit chance to win year on year.  A lot of teams are going to be courting him starting with Montreal.  Lots of noise that he's their key target - they are likely going to be using his teammates on team Canada - Weber and Price to convince him.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Tavares wants to play for a contender.   That's the reason why many believe he won't stay in NYI - he wants a legit chance to win year on year.  A lot of teams are going to be courting him starting with Montreal.  Lots of noise that he's their key target - they are likely going to be using his teammates on team Canada - Weber and Price to convince him.

The Habs are FAR worse off for the future than the Canucks and further from contending.  They're on the edge of rebuilding, but evidently still in the denial stage.  Canucks are now on the upswing, with blue-chip prospects about to join the roster.  And the problem as always -- contenders rarely have that amount of capspace, unless they start cutting loose some Ehrhoffs.

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

seems as though (NHL numbers) they have $6.5 million of cap space, with Enstrom and Matthias expiring (another 7.9 million) - so who knows.

They do have a number of RFAs though beyond Laine - Trouba, Morrisey, Hellebuyck, Lowry.

The price they paid for him might suggest they had longer term intentions though.

Laine if you believe CBC, will get Draisettle money and Mcdavid money. I think he gets at least 8, keeping in mind it's the Peg, nobody really wants's to play there. I'm from Winnipeg and I can only handle a short visit twice a year. Plus Trouba who I bet will be looking for 6plus Gonna be hard. What they gave up for him was no different then what Boston or Vegas paid for Nash and Tatar. Jets are taking a run this year and did what most teams loading up for a long playoff run do 

34 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Why is no one mentioning Tavares? Easily the best UFA available this summer and the Nucks do have the cap space. Not sure if he would even come here or if he's what this team needs moving forward but come on how do you leave him off that list.

In terms of Bozak, thats a hard pass for me. He's not good enough to take Bo or Sutter's spot and would rather leave the other C spot to Peterson or Gaudette. We have lots of 3-4 centers on the team besides Bozak is old and is counter intuitive to the youth movement. 

I would love the Nucks to make a pitch for Taveres. Everyone keeps saying he will only go to a top team who exactly has the space to pay him that's elite right now and wouldn't have to move out a bunch of contacts to make it work? And not just short-term but long-term. If  Taveres  Carlson joined the Nucks along with Pettersson Dhalen Gaudette plus the progression of the kids already here fulltime I think makes us a real threat next year. Especially if we add a top pick like Dhalin or Bovqist who has grown so much this year he might be ready for N.A a lot sooner then people think.

17 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Laine if you believe CBC, will get Draisettle money and Mcdavid money. I think he gets at least 8, keeping in mind it's the Peg, nobody really wants's to play there. I'm from Winnipeg and I can only handle a short visit twice a year. Plus Trouba who I bet will be looking for 6plus Gonna be hard. What they gave up for him was no different then what Boston or Vegas paid for Nash and Tatar. Jets are taking a run this year and did what most teams loading up for a long playoff run do 

I don't buy that.   I think players would love to play for that fanbase, those crowds.

And where Laine is concerned, who knows, but he doesn't seem like the big-city-needs type of guy.

Comes from a small community in Finland.   Probably isn't afraid of cold weather.

Priorities don't appear to be to play in a 'flashy' market.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/patrik-laine-winnipeg-jets-nhl

"I mean, I heard some guys talking bad about the city and that Winnipeg was not a good place. What do they know? I love Winnipeg. This is my home. These are my people now. I play for them. It’s a great, great city. Everyone who lives here really cares about one another, that’s what stands out to me. We are one group, all of us. Everybody is your neighbor.

Winnipeg is bad? No. Winnipeg is good."

"So why are people hating on Winnipeg? I think maybe I know why they don’t like coming here. Maybe guys are too cold? Maybe this is a hard place to play because of our fans? I’ve only been to each NHL building a few times, but I know for sure — our rink is the loudest.

Our fans give us so much confidence.

And I know that they get even louder in the spring."

In addition, Laine is already a 3.575 million cap hit.   So if he were to take a bridge, even at 6 million (ie Ehlers money) it's only a 2.4 million increase on his ELC.

Likewise, Trouba is an increase on 3.0 million....

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Montreal? Didn't realize they were better than us. Heck, they are so worse off than the Nucks. Crappy team no good prospects,  There is not a team that is contending right now who could afford Taveres except maybe Sanjose if big Joe hangs them up. As funny as it sounds, the Nucks would be a great fit for him. This team is on the cusp of becoming a very dominating team sooner than later. Adding Taveres Carlson maybe trading for Domi plus the guys coming in next year makes us instant competitors. 

1 minute ago, bp79 said:

Montreal? Didn't realize they were better than us. Heck, they are so worse off than the Nucks. Crappy team no good prospects,  There is not a team that is contending right now who could afford Taveres except maybe Sanjose if big Joe hangs them up. As funny as it sounds, the Nucks would be a great fit for him. This team is on the cusp of becoming a very dominating team sooner than later. Adding Taveres Carlson maybe trading for Domi plus the guys coming in next year makes us instant competitors. 

Thornton hasn't played since mid-January and they've still been winning without him.  The NHL just had an article up on how the Sharks are transitioning to the next core.  They are hoping to keep Kane.

Archived