The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Go big on UFA...or not at all!

I think Kane is coming here, probably closer to the 5.5 million range though.

Other than that, its going to be adding some lower salary guys who can fill in when needed and probably spend a lot of time in Utica.

Tavares will either resign in NY, or he'll be a member of the Maple Leafs.

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I do not want to watch Paul Statsny, Tyler Bozak or anybody else play out their careers. 

AMEN TO THAT

45 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

My vote would be for a cut-off date of 25 years to bring on any new players currently in the NHL. The league is getting younger and faster, we can't afford to get behind.

This is a good point. Although, Tavares would be an exception to this. He’s only 27, and how often do superstars get to free agency?

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

My vote would be for a cut-off date of 25 years to bring on any new players currently in the NHL. The league is getting younger and faster, we can't afford to get behind.

The problem with that suggestion is that the vast majority of NHL players don’t reach UFA status until age 27.  So if you’re targeting players age 25 < then you’re gonna have to go the trade route (or the far less likely offer sheet route) 

19 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The problem with that suggestion is that the vast majority of NHL players don’t reach UFA status until age 27.  So if you’re targeting players age 25 < then you’re gonna have to go the trade route (or the far less likely offer sheet route) 

Did he suggest bringing in players 25 and under via free agency though? He didn’t. 

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

IT IS POSSIBLE, BUT I'M JUST SAYING THAT IT IS ALSO REMOTELY POSSIBLE HE MIGHT PICK A TEAM LIKE OURS IF WE CAN SELL HIM ON WHAT IS TO COME IN SHORT ORDER.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP YELLING NOW?

I just hope we have some surprises out of training camp, Lukas Jasek is looking real good in Utica, Dahlen, maybe Pettersson..Have not heard much about Juolevi he

had a good playoffs 10GP - 7 PTS...

Go Canucks Go

37 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I just hope we have some surprises out of training camp, Lukas Jasek is looking real good in Utica, Dahlen, maybe Pettersson..Have not heard much about Juolevi he

had a good playoffs 10GP - 7 PTS...

Go Canucks Go

I think we will.  If you look at all the guys who COULD make the team, its likely at least one or two will.  Simple mathamatics and odds, really.

My bet is on Dahlin and Joulevi. Id say Pettersson too but I think management wants to groom him in Utica first and I dont think thats a bad idea.  If he rips it up there as we can probably expect, he will be up soon enough too.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Did he suggest bringing in players 25 and under via free agency though? He didn’t. 

I was  just pointing out that if that’s the age bracket you’re targeting, it’s gotta be via trade or offer sheet. 

6 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

We waste money and derail the rebuild and im willing to bet we dont even make the playoffs

When you get gods like Dahlin and Pettersson in back to back drafts you pretty much finished your rebuild. Time to sign Bozak, Carlson, Tavares and Kane. Trade Nilsson, Jake, Juolevi, and Demko for good solid vet pieces and a starting goalie. If Schneider doesn't find his game maybe New Jersey will accept Demko, Jake, Lind and our 1st next year for him. Rebuilds over fellers. Go Canucks, go. :towel: Stanley Cup is coming to the greatest city, in the greatest province, in the greatest Country on Earth.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I think we will.  If you look at all the guys who COULD make the team, its likely at least one or two will.  Simple mathamatics and odds, really.

My bet is on Dahlin and Joulevi. Id say Pettersson too but I think management wants to groom him in Utica first and I dont think thats a bad idea.  If he rips it up there as we can probably expect, he will be up soon enough too.

Going to be exciting as Canucks have never had so many prospect between 19-23 close to making big club,

Pettersson 19, Dahlen 20 , Jasek 20, Lind 19,  Gadjovich 19, Juolevi 19 , Briesbois 20, Demko  G 21,  Chatfield 20,  Sautner 22,  Dipietro 18 G, 

McEneny 23,  MacEwen 22

Under 24 NHL Canucks.. Boeser 20, Horvat 23, Virtanen 21, Goldobin 21, Stetcher 23, Motte 23, Liepsic 23, pouliot 23

Never have we had so many good young prospects.... Good job jim and Trevor 4 years since you took over and then you had 4 prospects...

7 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Kane is coming here, probably closer to the 5.5 million range though.

Other than that, its going to be adding some lower salary guys who can fill in when needed and probably spend a lot of time in Utica.

Tavares will either resign in NY, or he'll be a member of the Maple Leafs.

Given how good Kane is doing with the Sharks, I question that. 

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

If Schneider doesn't find his game maybe New Jersey will accept Demko, Jake, Lind and our 1st next year for him.

Ok wait... so this idea is with the assumption Schneider is still playing substandard.

So you want to receive a substandard goalie and you are prepared to give up a guy who may end up being an even better goalie, a budding power forward, a likely top six player AND a first for that? I was largely on board with what you were selling prior to that, but heading this suggestion I puked in my mouth just a little bit.

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Given how good Kane is doing with the Sharks, I question that. 

All depends on cap space, and Sharks won’t know that until they know if Joe is going to play another year. If he is, they will be pretty tight, not likely room to sign Kane.

58 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Ok wait... so this idea is with the assumption Schneider is still playing substandard.

So you want to receive a substandard goalie and you are prepared to give up a guy who may end up being an even better goalie, a budding power forward, a likely top six player AND a first for that? I was largely on board with what you were selling prior to that, but heading this suggestion I puked in my mouth just a little bit.

Just hear me out. Thing 2. Check mate.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Just hear me out. Thing 2. Check mate.

This doesn't even make sense. 

16 hours ago, Pears said:

This is a good point. Although, Tavares would be an exception to this. He’s only 27, and how often do superstars get to free agency?

I agree.  When you are talking an exceptional talent like Tavares is, we'd be foolish not to go after him in free agency.

1) We need 1 more elite forward for either center or left wing. We may already have him in a guy like Dahlen but getting a guy like Tavares guarantees that we have him.  If we were to get a high pick this year (yeah right) and draft the forward, we are still not guaranteed he would be elite and we would also be ignoring our biggest issue which is a #1 dman.  So getting Tavares solves this so we CAN focus our drafting on the D.

2) He's really not that old.  A player of his caliber and intelligence I place somewhat akin to the Sedins. At 34 they were still almost a point a game players.  At 30, they were at the height of their careers.  (On average, that number is 29 but that includes "lesser" players too)  Should that comparable hold accurate for Tavares, we would get the height of his abilities in 3 years, with him still being very productive 3 years later.  So we try to sign him  for 6-7 years, with a ntc for all but the last season.  We get full value out of him, and then have the ability to trade at the deadline on the last year or, if he isn't showing signs of slowing down, re-sign him.  In short, his age is not a factor at all unless he was asking for a term of more than 7 years or so.

3) As you said, franchise players don't come up in free agency often.  This is a FREE player!  Yes, we might have to overpay a little to convince him to come here, but I'd still prefer that than giving up a huge asset package to try to trade for a guy like him.  It's absolutely worth it.

4) Right now, we have a lot of points to make up since the Sedins left.  We all know we aren't going to contend for the cup next season but wouldn't it be nice if we had a huge shot in the arm like this right away? With a player or two likely to make the team at camp, with the help of Tavares I think we can make up the points lost with the Sedins leaving right away, and then it's all gravy from there as more young guys continue to join the team in subsequent years.

5) There is just something about having the best 1st line in the NHL that has such a nice ring to it.  We had it with the Sedins and we had it with the WCE line, and we can have it again with Pettersson Tavares Boeser.  

6) In light of that first line, it allows us to play guys like Dahlen, Goldobin, Lind, and whoever else who might actually be 1st line players at some point, but it gives us the luxury of playing them on the 2nd.  Ultimately this means that our 2nd line becomes elite in itself.  And that domino effect continues with 3rd line players being as good as 2nd line players, and 4th as good as 3rd.  

Let's get it done.

LeBrun says that Tavares wants to win.  Tavares himself qualified this season as another wasted opportunity to get a shot at the Cup.  

Salary and term will be the same from any team - teams will move players if they need to create room.  It's just so seldom that a legit C1 hits free agency.  

Taxation could play a role re his destination.  Travel could also be a factor.  The West has a more brutal travel schedule than the East with the Metro being the most favourable division - just a short ride away from their rivals.  There have been some comments about him not wanting to be under the spotlight. The Islanders were one of the highest scoring teams in the league but had trouble preventing goals - defence and goaltending will probably factor in the decision.

Canucks will likely have an uphill battle vs other teams to attract key UFAs.  Not sure they all want to be surrounded by a group of 23 and under either.  There's also not a lot of playoff experience to the group.  These guys are going to be getting offers from contenders.  

5 hours ago, mll said:

LeBrun says that Tavares wants to win.  Tavares himself qualified this season as another wasted opportunity to get a shot at the Cup.  

Salary and term will be the same from any team - teams will move players if they need to create room.  It's just so seldom that a legit C1 hits free agency.  

Taxation could play a role re his destination.  Travel could also be a factor.  The West has a more brutal travel schedule than the East with the Metro being the most favourable division - just a short ride away from their rivals.  There have been some comments about him not wanting to be under the spotlight. The Islanders were one of the highest scoring teams in the league but had trouble preventing goals - defence and goaltending will probably factor in the decision.

Canucks will likely have an uphill battle vs other teams to attract key UFAs.  Not sure they all want to be surrounded by a group of 23 and under either.  There's also not a lot of playoff experience to the group.  These guys are going to be getting offers from contenders.  

We have exciting things going on in Vancouver, and this will be a winning team soon.  If he can suck it up for just one year and maximum two, we will be a contender - especially if he came on board.  Selling him on that might be a bit more challenging given our finish the last couple of seasons.

As for travel, not much we can do about that.  Hopefully he deems himself resilient? 

I'm not denying we are fighting an uphill battle though. There will be very attractive teams vying for his services and it is a lot easier to see a successful team if they are already making a go at the cup as opposed to rebuilding like we are. If Benning misses on all our prospects (which we can all agree is unlikely at this point) then he gets stuck in another broken system and at this stage of his career there is no way he'd want to go through another Islanders situation. So it's uphill, as you say, to even convince him that we are going to be contenders soon.  The chances of him coming here are slim, I do not deny.  But we can dream, and Benning can still try, and I think the chances are still greater than those who proclaim there is NO chance of him picking Vancouver to call home.

Archived