The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Acording to Bob McKenzie ( Picks 5 through 8)

J.I.A.H.N

Who do the canucks pick at 7th OA...................(this is not who we want, but who will we pick, with who is available at #7)  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats a joke, right? you're complaining that we're letting a 19 year old develop in a mens league? the whole "Juolevi was a mistake" rant isn't based in reality. I guess Heiskanen's a pending bust too. Trade da bum now Dallas while you still can.

Not complaining, just saying in a re-draft, he’d go way lower.

Hey guess who else from that draft is developing in a men’s league? Sergachiev, Macavoy, chychrun, Girard...

I don’t know how anyone could argue that SHL development is better than the top 4 role these players have been developing in the NHL...

1 minute ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Hey guess who else from that draft is developing in a men’s league? Sergachiev, Macavoy, chychrun, Girard...

I don’t know how anyone could argue that SHL development is better than the top 4 role these players have been developing in the NHL...

42E1D0CF-4B78-4D0E-AD8B-7480FA53B314.gif.299719f05ed67c15851d1089873d808e.gif

Winner. 

4 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

It is easy.  If the player is not ready for the league at that time they are better off developing in a lower league.  Doesn't mean they won't be good or even great players, just means they weren't NHL ready at 18 or 19.  

Matthias Ohlund, the best D man we ever had didn't start on the Canucks till his D+4 year after 3 years in SEL.

Rushing Jake didn't help him along, if anything it delayed his development.

OJ looked like he was having difficulty adjusting to his increased bulk in preseason, throwing a player that is already struggling into the NHL is not a recipe for success.  In general you are better off waiting till the player is over-ripe.

JB has got to go with BPA. 

Boquist is dropping fast, which shows there are concerns about the size and head injury issues.  High risk; high reward.

Dobson is a more compete dman and has the size, skating and hockey sense.  The safe bet. Low risk; moderate reward

Bouchard is an offensive dman, who can man the PP.  Doesn't have the elite skating.  Moderate risk; high reward.

Wahlstrom has elite scoring and skating.  Great hockey sense and is very physical. He is 9 months younger than Tkachuk and his draft ranking is on the rise.  This kid is looking to be power forward that can score a lot of goals.  He's fearless in the o-zone and it is very hard to stop him.  At 17yrs old, he is already 6' 1 at 200 lbs and skates like the wind.  The big question is whether he plays C or RW (C would make him even more valuable). He excels in the big games (WJ under 18) and is the game breaker kind of player.   Besides, he has duel citizenship: US/Swe!  OW is the player I want JB to pick.      Moderate risk; high reward.

Kid was born to be a star...

16 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

McAvoy is a more than a 1/2 year older and had 2 years in college first.

Girard is a lucky penny. No one would drop from #5 to #47 in the draft to get someone. 

Sergachev has been playing very sheltered o-zone minutes - over 70%. I suppose we could have tried that as well but the decision to put him in the FEL was one to get a better defensemen in the long run. With a less gruelling schedule he also got the chance to gain some size. He's rounded out his game nicely according to Sami Salo, and had we rushed him here - for no good reason - you risk taking a step back with a kid.

I'd say Chychrun has failed to meet expectations actually, his 2 seasons haven't been particularly good at all. 

There's no reason at all to link OJ's development path with "failure" based on what these other guys did. Sometimes it takes an extra year to develop D in the teenage years.

This expectation that every 1st round pick has to be playing in the NHL right out of the draft is recent and not the norm at all, particularly for D. Its not going to happen next draft either, will that make Bouchard a bust or somehow think we should have picked him later? 

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The interesting thing about Boquist is he's almost a full year younger (and therefore behind in physical development) than his draft peers.  He grew 2 inches and put on 23 pounds this year alone.  He's still maturing physically.  I think he could become the best player in this draft, including Dahlin, in 3 to 5 years.  We need to take risks with our picks.  If we only take the sure thing guys with low ceilings, but higher floors, we will end up mediocre.  I would rather we pick guys with the highest ceilings possible.  If they bust out, I'm okay with that.  We need elite guys to win Cups, and not the mediocre ones.  IMHAO, of course.

I think it's gonna go dahlin svech tkachuk zadina boqvist wahlstrom  who you got if that's the case?

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

McAvoy is a more than a 1/2 year older and had 2 years in college first.

Girard is a lucky penny. No one would drop from #5 to #47 in the draft to get someone. 

Sergachev has been playing very sheltered o-zone minutes - over 70%. I suppose we could have tried that as well but the decision to put him in the FEL was one to get a better defensemen in the long run. With a less gruelling schedule he also got the chance to gain some size. He's rounded out his game nicely according to Sami Salo, and had we rushed him here - for no good reason - you risk taking a step back with a kid.

I'd say Chychrun has failed to meet expectations actually, his 2 seasons haven't been particularly good at all. 

There's no reason at all to link OJ's development path with "failure" based on what these other guys did. Sometimes it takes an extra year to develop D in the teenage years.

This expectation that every 1st round pick has to be playing in the NHL right out of the draft is recent and not the norm at all, particularly for D. Its not going to happen next draft either, will that make Bouchard a bust or somehow think we should have picked him later? 

Dobson reminds me of McAvoy with less grit in his game. 

1 minute ago, KKnight said:

It was something my buddy said he heard. Some sort of recent interview after the draft lottery. I obviously think its bull, but my heart wants it to be a possibility. 

I mean... I can see why he'd be upset. We'll know for sure if he decides to play one more year in the SHL next year instead of signing his ELC. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I mean... I can see why he'd be upset. We'll know for sure if he decides to play one more year in the SHL next year instead of signing his ELC. 

Why would that be an indicator? Pettersson still hasn't signed with the Canucks. Is he upset?

Judging by what Benning has said he’s been looking for in a dman Boqvist fits the bill and Hughes other than being left handed is still that polarizing pp qb from the backend that he is looking for. I think the offensive creativity outways the Bouchards and Dobson’s if all stacked up together. If Boqvist or Hughes are there at our pick you’d have to believe it’s the perfect fit for Bennings desire. I mean unless the guys come into the draft combine and measure smaller in height than we think. Weight isn’t a big deal as neither guy is gonna be playing in the NHL for a few years.

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Think they are glad you're not in charge of their tourist info office :lol:.

Interesting thought. I see the point of flipping the pick to get a more seasoned player, but.... I think there is something in the water this year, and it makes me apprehensive of letting go of the 7th pick.

But if they thought about going that way, I think the club has to make sure, which direction it wants to take. If we are rebuilding, fro the bottom up, I think following of the players mentioned: Tyson Barrie is 27, so think he is probably too old to flip our 7th for (rebuilding) although he is a great player, Trouba is 24 so should be ok and Hanafin who is 21 would fit in fine. 

Yeah take Seabrooke of Chicagos hands for the 8th pick would be a nice call. He has got 6years, but Edler may be off in a year. It'll be 3-4 years before we are contenders again, so he could probably be bought out by then, if management is willing to pay for this. Like you thoughts.

I'd trade CHI first with Tanev, take Seebrook off their hands if that deal was available in a heart beat.  Maybe something small would need to be added both ways to make it work but we'd be in great shape going forward.  We could draft two defenseman or take one of the best forwards left (BT and Zadina could slip) Whalstrom and Boqvist would be great, or Bouchard and Dobson...or Hughes....Seebrook would sting later, but it would help with next year's line-up, and if management wants to tank and or keep guys safe from Seattle draft just keep them developing one more year....and get a shot at the real Hughes next year.

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

Dobson reminds me of McAvoy with less grit in his game. 

McAvoy reminds me of Hughes, he's not very big, looks small on the ice, and controls the pace with his skating and passing ability.    Watched him live last season and was blown away with his IQ, he was the best player on the ice that game, which says a lot given Karlsson was on the other side, didn't notice any grit above what the average NHLer displays,  but what I did notice was he was noticable every shift of the game.  Very mature player for his age, I'm a fan it was a treat both times  i saw him play.  If either Hughes or Boqvist play as well or better, those teams that draft him will have a solid first pairing defenseman for a long time.

18 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

6. Boqvist RHD

7. Wahlstrom C

8. Dobson RHD

-----------------------------------------------

9. Hughes LHD

Looks like we're getting a pretty darn good prospect no matter which way JB goes. 

:canucks:::D:canucks:

1. Wahlstrom - could end up being in the Top 3 (best picks) after all is said and done. Pettersson's future RWer?

2. Hughes - fast, puck moving D to run the PP

3. Dobson - Right-shot D, to pair with Juolevi

4. Farabee - Played with Wahlstrom, possibly Bo's future LWer?

The concussions to Boqvist concern me. A player of his size and early health issues, may have a short career in the NHL.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Trade Boeser, OJ and something worth a late 1st rounder/ early 2nd for the 1st OA pick. 

WOW...... But fair enough, it could be, what its going to take for Sabers to start talking. 

Would I do it? Not a chance...

Archived