The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Acording to Bob McKenzie ( Picks 5 through 8)

J.I.A.H.N

Who do the canucks pick at 7th OA...................(this is not who we want, but who will we pick, with who is available at #7)  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, westcoast said:

Given the choice of size without elite speed or elite speed without size on defense  I have to say a pure sniper in Wahlstrom would solidify the forwards.Bo,jake boeser./Petterson,Goldobin and Wahlstrom.Not a bad top six of young guys.

Yes and then we suffer Edmontontitis, which by definition is the lack of defensive depth, with a strong forward group..............I won't wish this on my best friend

It is a severe condition, when left unattended to!

47 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yes and then we suffer Edmontontitis, which by definition is the lack of defensive depth, with a strong forward group..............I won't wish this on my best friend

The Oilers didn't/don't know the meaning of the word development.  It had nothing to do with their picks, but with their complete inability to develop those picks.  I have zero concerns about JB, TL and TG in that regard

47 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Pittsburgh has won the last two cups with a pretty bad defensive roster. If the forward group is good enough then the defence doesn't matter as much.

Just look at Vegas. One of the top teams in the league with a terrible D core.

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Pittsburgh has won the last two cups with a pretty bad defensive roster. If the forward group is good enough then the defence doesn't matter as much.

Generational talents.

Worth the cost. 

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

There's obviously more than one way to build a team... but I'm not sure trying to emulate the Penguins or the Knights is the way to go about it.  Nobody is emulating Pittsburg's Crosby/Malkin duo and Vegas' year has just been ridiculous.  The circumstances around Pitt landing Crosby/Malkin are impossible to replicate.  Plus, they've always had a 50+ point D man as a catalyst. Vegas is such an anomaly - you could say their forward group was pretty "terrible" before this year as well.  Karlson bumped his production 50 points, Marchessault by 25, Perron by 20 and Reilly Smith's 60 points in 68 is more than his previous 51 in 82.  If those guys career years are "for real" maybe guys like Miller, Schmidt and Theodore are as well. 

Banking on your forwards covering for a poor D is just bad strategy.  Most playoff teams have great D. 

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Vegas has generational talents?

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Just look at Vegas. One of the top teams in the league with a terrible D core.

43 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Generational talents.

Worth the cost. 

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Vegas has generational talents?

Nope, but Pittsburgh does. 

Honestly can't remember the last time there was this much uncertainty about who will be selected from 4-10. Wouldn't be surprised to see any ordering of Tkachuk, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, Wahlstrom, or Hughes.

Also have a gut feeling that someone will take Kotkaniemi before at least one of these 6 as he's the most natural fit at centre of any of the top forwards. His Finnish league totals for this season were also pretty similar to Mikko Rantanen's at the same age, and not too far off Puljujarvi's.

I'm higher on Dobson, Hughes, and Wahlstrom than the others, but honestly wouldn't be upset if the Canucks take any of the 7 players I mentioned.

On 4/29/2018 at 4:58 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Just reading an article from Bon Mckenzie, who claims that the ranking from the 10 scouts, pre lottery are:

1. Dahlin LHD

----------------------------------------------

2. Svechnikov RW

3. Zadina LW

4. Tkachuk LW/C

5. Bouchard RHD

6. Boqvist RHD

7. Wahlstrom C

8. Dobson RHD

-----------------------------------------------

9. Hughes LHD

McKenzie basically has said that the 10 team scout's that he canvas's has put the players into these categories, and that they are distinctive, each player standing alone in his position until it comes down to positions 6, 7, 8, where Boqvist, Wahlstrom and Dobson are virtually tied, in rankings..............this gets me to wondering exactly which player does CDC want to have Benning pick?

The attached poll, will ask this question.......................

Good job of framing the question imo.

I'm not sure I agree with the attempt to define with any 'certainty' any of those 4, 5, 6, 7 spots.

Every year there are teams that clearly do not agree with any 'scouting consensus' Inot that there is any such thing) regarding those places in the draft.

Who had Strome ahead of Marner, Hanifin...?  Some of us thought Provorov and Werenski should have been a few spots higher.

Who had Dubois over Puljujaarvi?  Many had Tkachuk at 5 over Juolevi.   Is Clayton Keller clearly a distinctive spot below Tkachuk?   I don't see these kind of 'stand alone' categories, particularly in this stage of drafts.

Makar, Pettersson, Glass, MIttelstadt....impossible to predict how NHL teams / management groups and coaching staffs are each going to assess these players.

Bennett, Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury - 4 to 7 spots are anything but distinct imo.

55 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

There's obviously more than one way to build a team... but I'm not sure trying to emulate the Penguins or the Knights is the way to go about it.  Nobody is emulating Pittsburg's Crosby/Malkin duo and Vegas' year has just been ridiculous.  The circumstances around Pitt landing Crosby/Malkin are impossible to replicate.  Plus, they've always had a 50+ point D man as a catalyst. Vegas is such an anomaly - you could say their forward group was pretty "terrible" before this year as well.  Karlson bumped his production 50 points, Marchessault by 25, Perron by 20 and Reilly Smith's 60 points in 68 is more than his previous 51 in 82.  If those guys career years are "for real" maybe guys like Miller, Schmidt and Theodore are as well. 

Banking on your forwards covering for a poor D is just bad strategy.  Most playoff teams have great D. 

It's also not just the case that 'skilled forwards' overcame a wanting blueline in Pittsburgh.

In the case of Sullivan and the Penguins, he distinctly altered his systems - and made his forwards utilize their speed to play an attacking style of defense over 200ft - to take pressure off that Pengunis blueline.  Still, Pittsburgh had a talented group of D - and some very good ones in Letang, DuMoulin, Maata - really, their limiatation was their depth D - something they didn't really build on - their princpal area of need.  That was, I think, somewhat of a point of contention between Johnston and Rutherford.  Have an average bottom pairing - and go out to spend a boatload on what turns out to be a third line winger in Kessel.  I think it called for real innovation in coaching - and it was also something that Sullivan gameplanned exceptionally well - something he credited to things he's learned working with the Detroit Redwings - changing some of his philosophies and strategic perspective as a result.

What Pittsburgh did was win with team defense - with solid defensive contributions from many of the forwards in that group, from Crosby down.

In Las Vegas' case I think people underestimate the kind of depth they were gifted in the ED - when you can select an entire lineup + of number 4 D and middle six forwards - and at the same time build a relatively young group in or approaching their primes, they had a fair measure to work with.  Their D are under-rated - there was a whole lot of competition to command spots on that blueline, and they're mobile as well, something they are throughout their lineup, while not being easy to play against.   And again, that is a quick forward group that plays gang-defense when they don't have possession.

And for such a 'terrible D', it has three guys that were .5ppg D (Miller 41/82g, Schmidt 36/76, Theodore 29/61).....a couple young guys like McNabb and Merrill, and ridiculous organizational depth.

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

That's a 'shiny-things', highlight reel misconception.

4 hours ago, westcoast said:

Given the choice of size without elite speed or elite speed without size on defense  I have to say a pure sniper in Wahlstrom would solidify the forwards.Bo,jake boeser./Petterson,Goldobin and Wahlstrom.Not a bad top six of young guys.

Wahlstrom is a real safe pick. Thanks to his NHL ready,size, speed and shot.

I think you raise a good point d are risky as high picks traditionally. A winger with size who can skate and shoot with good Hockey IQ is as safe as it gets. 

Power forwards are riskier to reach their ceilings without a high hockey IQ.

Probably could play right now sheltered on a 4th line. No need to rush him though.

Let him get that Harvard experience for 2 years before he explodes on the scene in 2020 similar to Boeser.

7 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The trade idea, BB has had a back injury, likely he will be okay but also likely is that it will comeback to haunt him later, back injuries rarely ever go away for good.

This kid has been touted too long by way too many scouts not to be the real deal, this isn't the crap shoot it used to be even 4 years ago.

BB, OJ and a 1rst, done.

The team is still 3 or 4 years away from true contender status, that is another 2 to 3 years of drafting in the top 5 if the team keeps sending the picks back for two years of development in other leagues. That is enough time to hit on 3 more top line guys and there is still trading or signing a top UFA if the team looks to be "almost" there.

And the league considers a RH defenceman a hot commodity. 

Yeah you may be right...Don't know.

Find it really hard to rate the deal , as I have no feeling of how good OJ will be....

But if JB has a hunch that Boqvist or Hughes could be as good as Dahlin, or at least close to, and expects a chance to Draft either, I'm not sure if he does the deal....

But yes it would be the least it would take to get Sabres talking...would probably even want another 1st/EP added...

In all honesty, I don't see why they would want to do the deal, unless they think along the lines of above mentioned.

On 4/30/2018 at 2:40 AM, winthecup said:

Take Boqvist if still there at 7. If not, take Dobson or Bouchard. Wahlstrom is intriguing if he is still there at 7 but is he passable based on the Canucks need for defense.? 

Canucks also need a center

With so much talent in this daft, would nobody be interested in taking a bad contract like Seabrook for Hawks 1st? Could ensure we would get both a forward and D prospect, Still with the possibility of Trading Tanev for another pick/prospect?

@bp79 Aired the idea, and the more I think it the better it gets. Seabrook is an anchor of a contract, but we will not be serious contenders for another 3 years at least, at which part LE and possibly Edler would be gone, thus making money available for  the contracts for next generation? 

Something like Wahlstrom+avalable D, or Best D-man available + Kotkaniemi... anyone?

13 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The trade idea, BB has had a back injury, likely he will be okay but also likely is that it will comeback to haunt him later, back injuries rarely ever go away for good.

This kid has been touted too long by way too many scouts not to be the real deal, this isn't the crap shoot it used to be even 4 years ago.

BB, OJ and a 1rst, done.

The team is still 3 or 4 years away from true contender status, that is another 2 to 3 years of drafting in the top 5 if the team keeps sending the picks back for two years of development in other leagues. That is enough time to hit on 3 more top line guys and there is still trading or signing a top UFA if the team looks to be "almost" there.

And the league considers a RH defenceman a hot commodity. 

Boeser's back injury was not the type that will be on going. They said there was no damage to discs . a small fracture. Should heal 100%. His wrist is also on the right track and will not need any more surgery. Edler had some permanent damage and it has effected him through out his career. I can understand your concern but Brock is not the kind of player you want to trade. He is a pure sniper.   

Archived