The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs, Assistant General Manager Mark Hunter mutually agree to part ways

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Didn't get the GM job so he leaves? What a baby.

Agreed.

I wonder if he goes with Lou to NYI and becomes their GM within the next year. Multiple teams wanted Dubas as their GM while Hunter didn't get an interview so I don't think there's a ton of interest out there.

56 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Or, maybe the new boss doesn't want the old boss' guy?

Dubas wanted Hunter to stay. Hunter wasn't 100% on board and Shanahan didn't want someone who expressed interest in leaving running the draft. I don't agree with that considering they don't have a high pick. I just don't see the risk and I dont think Hunter would ruin his resume.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Who would want to work with someone half their age and a quarter or their experience?

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Maybe doesn't want to be under a baby.

It's alarming how this is likely a popular opinion.

His age/experience shouldn't matter if he's earned his role. That's a toxic mindset that plagues many companies across the country.

Bring on the next wave of talent I say. Out with the old boys club.

7 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

His age/experience shouldn't matter if he's earned his role. That's a toxic mindset that plagues many companies across the country.

I think ideally a bit of both is best. Hunter wasn't the guy to want to work under that umbrella so off he went. 

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

No surprise, Hunter was used to 100% control in London as owner and GM and was very successful.  The Leafs convinced him to join their team presumably to be Lamoriello's successor. Dubas wins out, Hunter is gone.   

I sure don't blame him for leaving. . .  

22 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Agreed.

I wonder if he goes with Lou to NYI and becomes their GM within the next year. Multiple teams wanted Dubas as their GM while Hunter didn't get an interview so I don't think there's a ton of interest out there.

WOW!    I don't follow the comings and goings of GM's unless it is in Vancouver but I would never have guessed that . . . 

17 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Ability and experience are good things. 

"Youth is no guarantee of innovation."

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ability and experience are good things. 

"Youth is no guarantee of innovation."

They are, but you have to actaully give that experience to younger guys at some point.

It's not like Dubas didn't work his way up. The fact he got there as young as he did, and with other teams calling about him, shows he's ready.

If Hunter can't accept someone younger than him earned an NHL GM role before him, then good riddance. 

5 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

They are, but you have to actaully give that experience to younger guys at some point.

It's not like Dubas didn't work his way up. The fact he got there as young as he did, and with other teams calling about him, shows he's ready.

If Hunter can't accept someone younger than him earned an NHL GM role before him, then good riddance. 

I don't think he left because he couldn't accept someone younger than him earned a GM role first. 

Divas and hunter were hired like 3 months apart. They both but their time in and had a hand in the leafs successful rebuild. Age aside the leafs felt Dubas was the route to go. Mark Hunter has 2 options from here. Hope someone feels he's fit to run their hockey team or sit and rot behind Dubas because he's so young. 

I see no problem inwhat the leafs or hunter did. I doubt hunter wants to remain a bridesmaid for the test of his nhl management career. 

52 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

you clearly aren't in your 50s :lol:

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I don't think he left because he couldn't accept someone younger than him earned a GM role first. 

Divas and hunter were hired like 3 months apart. They both but their time in and had a hand in the leafs successful rebuild. Age aside the leafs felt Dubas was the route to go. Mark Hunter has 2 options from here. Hope someone feels he's fit to run their hockey team or sit and rot behind Dubas because he's so young. 

I see no problem inwhat the leafs or hunter did. I doubt hunter wants to remain a bridesmaid for the test of his nhl management career. 

Agreed.  Kinda of what @Jimmy McGill was saying too.  Generally, you want a place where you hope you can work your way up.  When that that path gets blocked, it's probably best for professional development to move on.  Everyone expected this to happen, whomever was hired the other would move on.  Whether or not the Leafs made the right choice is up for debate, but it's not necessarily a sign of dysfunction.

10 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Fair point. I figured the best thing to do would be to stay until there was an opening elsewhere though.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you clearly aren't in your 50s :lol:

I might look that age in my profile pic, but no, I'm no Jimmy McGill :lol:

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Agreed.  Kinda of what @Jimmy McGill was saying too.  Generally, you want a place where you hope you can work your way up.  When that that path gets blocked, it's probably best for professional development to move on.  Everyone expected this to happen, whomever was hired the other would move on.  Whether or not the Leafs made the right choice is up for debate, but it's not necessarily a sign of dysfunction.

It also doesn't have to be a bad thing, management groups change all the time, sometimes you just don't fit an organization anymore. No one has to be the 'bad guy' just differences in style. 

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Can't work for another team until after the draft and free agency:

Sort of like Lou reportedly meeting with Tavares as a rep of the Isles while still employed by the Leafs? Hunter cant officially work for another team but the wink/nudge scenario is ever present in hockey circles. 

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Fair point. I figured the best thing to do would be to stay until there was an opening elsewhere though.

I might look that age in my profile pic, but no, I'm no Jimmy McGill :lol:

I am willing to bet he has had a few overtures already. 

Archived