The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, BananaMash said:

My only issue with Hughes is that he seems to be too focused on creating highlight reel plays, and sometimes it costs him. I'm pretty certain that's something he'll grow out of as he matures though. He's fun to watch. I haven't seen many players move that smoothly on their skates.

to borrow an analogy from boxing- amateur boxing can often be a frantic all out affair whereas in the pros it much more about pace, endurance and picking your spots.  Maybe at the junior level QH is more able to take the fight right to the opposition and get away with things he might not be able to at the pro level where he'll learn he can pick and choose his spots.

• Upvote 1

Easy to notice the Quinn Hughes (or lack there of) effect watching Michigan today. When Q is playing for the Wolverines, he’s on-ice for around half the game and he’s creating massive amounts of controlled exits and entries. Without Hughes, there’s so much chip and chase. It’s working for them today, but such a different look, compared to what you usually see with Hughes controlling the play.

5 hours ago, BananaMash said:

My only issue with Hughes is that he seems to be too focused on creating highlight reel plays, and sometimes it costs him. I'm pretty certain that's something he'll grow out of as he matures though. He's fun to watch. I haven't seen many players move that smoothly on their skates.

That is why I say that Jack Rathbone may yet be the best D we have in the future. He always looks composed and in control. Hughes at present plays a game that throws his team mates into confusion because he parts with the puck at the last second almost in panic. Time will tell I suppose.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

That is why I say that Jack Rathbone may yet be the best D we have in the future. He always looks composed and in control. Hughes at present plays a game that throws his team mates into confusion because he parts with the puck at the last second almost in panic. Time will tell I suppose.

I like Rathbone but I'd probably still put Woo ahead of him at this point in time.

8 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

What a beaut.  2 of the giveaways was a result of s suicidal pass from teammates.  Can’t blame him on those.  They’re were better plays then to pass to Quinn, overall I can’t wait to see a guy of his caliber on our team.

for sure.. he's s already less of a liability than MDZ, could maybe bump pouliot. don't want him rushed, but can't wait to see what he can do

9 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Given our team's inability to create any offence other then Pettersson while still being porous defensively, I am patiently waiting until the day we get Hughes to make high risk plays for us.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I am ok with your strong homer opinions on the Canucks cory40. But you do not know what will happen in the future. Qhughes may do well in the NHL or he may not. I sure hope he does.

But your homer silly comments don't mean anything to me or most fans. He may develop very well or his game may not translate to the NHL. 

We shall see.  :lol:

Edited by cory40

48 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Perhaps the way Quinn is playing comes down to the coaches having him reigned in. If the US is still down halfway through the 3rd perhaps the coach whispers in his ear “Take this thing over, kid”.

Lol. I doubt they said " hey Quinn,  dont take the game over unless we say so". Common man. Seriously . 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1

A bit more urgency from him in the third, but ultimately not the dynamic force I expected him to be in this game. The separation speed which usually makes him a human-zone-exit-machine was not much in evidence. I’ve watched the kid a ton previously where you are left breathless watching him skate. I’m going to engage in some idle speculation and say it looks like he might have been nursing a lower body injury.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

A bit more urgency from him in the third, but ultimately not the dynamic force I expected him to be in this game. The separation speed which usually makes him a human-zone-exit-machine was not much in evidence. I’ve watched the kid a ton previously where you are left breathless watching him skate. I’m going to engage in some idle speculation and say it looks like he might have been nursing a lower body injury.

Ya Very disappointed overall 4 me. Not bad , but not the "generational talent" level he has been made out to be imo . 

I was expecting dominance like Pettersson in the SHL, not half decent. Sure hope he is better for the Canucks then he was at the world Juniors. Like i said , he was good , but not outstanding,  and outstanding is what we need . Wish i hadnt watched , cause i am super disappointed . 

Edited by cuporbust

39 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Sure hope thats the reason. We dont need another yanick webber , we need a shea webber . 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Ya Very disappointed overall 4 me. Not bad , but not the "generational talent" level he has been made out to be imo . 

I was expecting dominance like Pettersson in the SHL, not half decent. Sure hope he is better for the Canucks then he was at the world Juniors. Like i said , he was good , but not outstanding,  and outstanding is what we need . 

Umm, except Pettersson didn't dominate this tournament, either. Looking down on this kid because of a short tournament is stupid. He is still a great prospect that has been doing very well in college. Saying things like "hurr durr, I hope we didn't draft Yannick Weberz!" is ridiculous and not actual criticism.

• Upvote 3

Well Hughes went from his worst game of the tournament to probably the best. He was soo good in the Gold Medal Game. Breaking up plays defensively, winning battles against 2 guys along the wall. Closing out his man defending a rush. Reading a play with an EP-like interception. Then everything he does offensively & with the puck. Just playing his game.

Its too bad the way the game ended, I'm sure he would have loved to be out there at the end.

Looking forward to seeing him in a Canucks jersey at the end of his season. 

• Upvote 2