The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Of the four defensemen he was the one I went back and forth on the most. He's probably the most exciting player we could have picked and I'm excited to follow him more closely next year!

He is on the short side, but at ~175lbs he's not that skinny for 5'10". I was hoping he would participate in the combine because I have a feeling he's quite strong for his size. Being that he's one of the older players in this draft year I'm not sure he'll grow anymore, but I can see him eventually playing at around Biega's weight (195lbs) and Biega certainly isn't afraid of the physical side of the game.

Here's to hoping we picked the best one of the four defensemen!

Why did he not participate in the combine? Does anyone know?

Love the pick! Wanted him or walhstrom.  I remember in the world juniors tournament in the semis I think the US coach was barely playing him, then late in the 3rd he started playing and was amazing and almost led a comeback. Now let's tank for his brother Jack, so we can be led by brohers again!

44 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Sign him and play him in Utica. Let him and Juolevi duke it out for 1st call-up.

Lol he will not sign with the Canucks unless he feels he will or have a shot at making the team. He’s gonna go the college route and wait till he has a legitimate shot before signing.. I can see he won’t sign if he knows he’s going to be sent to Utica 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol he will not sign with the Canucks unless he feels he will or have a shot at making the team. He’s gonna go the college route and wait till he has a legitimate shot before signing.. I can see he won’t sign if he knows he’s going to be sent to Utica 

Lol? He said it himself tonight. Grow a Brian!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Why did he not participate in the combine? Does anyone know?

He said he was fatigued after the World Championships, only flew back to North America a few days before it. It's not that uncommon for prospects to skip the testing portion of the combine if they play in the Memorial Cup or another tournament that runs late in the season. I was still hoping to see him participate though.

This is an interview Hughes did back before the combine. I've compared him to Keith for a while now and that definitely is his high end potential. He has the skating to simply smother someone until they give up the puck and then instantly pull away from them. I think he plays a much more dynamic game than Keith offensively, but Keith probably has the edge defensively. I don't they would look very different on the ice though. 

Hopefully Hughes can have the same type of Playoff success as Kieth as well. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I believe I heard that the Hughes' are billeting with the Tkachuk family.

nah some one said there good friends, also on the draft call brady gave him props and a hug before going up on the stadium.

6 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Hughes has far better positional awareness in his own zone. He's smart enough to overcome his size defensively, IMO.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Same reason Duncan Keith is amazing.  Quinn Hughes has elite IQ, elite puck skills, elite skating, and is hyper competitive.

Thanks guys! Hughes is already growing rapidly on me and now I like him even more.

Thanks to a couple of earlier draft surprises and Benning's keen eye for talent and character, we finally have "The Mighty Quinn".

Welcome to Vancouver, Quinn Hughes! 

I've looked into Hughes' production and compared it to other defensemen recently drafted in out of the NCAA and here's how Hughes stacks up: 

Hughes: 5 goals, 24 assists for 29 points in 37 games (0.78 PPG) - 3rd in team scoring (1st among defensemen)

Werenski: 9 goals, 16 assists for 25 points in 35 games (0.71 PPG) - 7th in team scoring (1st among defensemen)

McAvoy: 3 goals, 22 assists for 25 points in 37 games (0.68 PPG) - 6th in team scoring (1st among defensemen)

Hanifin: 5 goals. 18 assists for 23 points in 37 games (0.62) - 7th in team scoring (3rd among defensemen)

It's worth noting that all of those defensemen were regarded as better defenders (espeically Hanifin), but Hughes still outproduced them all. It's especially impressive when you consider that Hughes was 3rd on his entire team in scoring, as a defenseman and the youngest player in the NCAA. Werenski and McAvoy established themselves as top pairing defenders in their draft +2 years. That's some very good company for Hughes to be in. 

Side note: Hughes had the exact same PPG as B. Tkachuk, who plays forward and went 4th overall. Let that sink in for a second. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

DdZsFvCXkAA7Ezq.jpg

Quinn Hughes had the best passing efficiency at the IIHF World Championships. Team USA was dominant possession wise.

We are building a powerhouse and thats without much luck lottery wise. I couldnt be happier. I think montreal, ottawa and the yotes really messed up. I get it that centers are hard to come by, but i think those are moves that are saving there ass type moves. Not making the best selection long term. 

Honestly think a lot of our players are going to become better off the rush now, just because of hughes. 

PP 1 : 

Eriksson - Horvat - Pettersson 

Boeser       -        Hughes 

PP 2 : 

Gaudette  -  Sutter -   Leipsic/Granlund?

Baertschi     -      Edler 

Too early to tell. Needs work, definitely not digging that second pp. 

Question guys. Do you think with the Hughes selection that this potentially opens us up to acquiring a top 2 right dman down the road? Built around Juolevi? 

If we have 

Hughes

Tryamkin? 

Edler (signs extension)

Brisebois

Sautner

I like Juolevi, but damn would a Hughes - Mcavoy pairing be deadly. 

Edited by KKnight

6 hours ago, Darius71 said:

US hockey has been good to us...Brock, Hughes, Gaudette...all studs on their teams.

Lots of success so far with NCAA players including Tanev, Stetcher... Free agents.  This is a game changer though.  Love the high skill, high ceiling, players we're drafting in first round!  What # do you think he'll wear?  What is it.... 43 or U.S.A. #?