The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Listening to Ray F talking about his blue print for Hughes. And I had to laugh. Let the players come to camp and see where they are at. Hughes Petterson and Juolevi have all played against men and might surprise. But they still should get their chance.

34 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

When JB was first hired he was interviewed by Jim Hughson.   In that interview he revealed he believed he himself was rushed into the NHL as an 18yo by the Leafs and when he became management he said that experience always influenced his personnel decisions.   When Trevor was hired he preached patience - that there were no quick fixes for the franchise situation.   Needed to let prospects fully develop etc....then they throw JV and Canner to the wolves in moves that go directly against what they both said.   That has ownership overriding management written all over it imo.  Then there's the whole Torts debacle.....

or, the coaching staff made a mistake. 

Compare our situation to actual meddling owners in other sports, Aquilini is pretty much invisible. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Anyone know the connection Weisbrod has with the Hughes family?? Weisbrod mentioned he was at the hospital when Quinn was born.

There is an article over at sportsnet by Iain MacIntyre about it. https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/quinn-hughes-believes-can-play-canucks-right-now/

Apparently Jim Hughes now works for the agents that represented Daniel and Henrik. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Edler - Stecher

Juolevi - Tanev

Hughes - Gudbranason

Del Zotto, Hutton, Pouliot, Biega etc. as extras

Hughes is an offensive defenseman.  Needs to play with someone who is defensively responsible and will naturally cover when Hughes takes a chance.  Tanev fits the bill. Gudbranson would be a terrible choice.

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

The last tweet has me kinda worried, likely unnecessarily. In my head I trust Benning and Linden to do what's right and let the kids stew, but then my heart is like "But Aquaman might force their hand". Benning's extension was what, two years? I really hope he doesn't feel pressured into forcing these kids into situations they aren't ready for. I don't want Hughes in the lineup next year unless he is absolutely ready, same with Pettersson and Juolevi and every other prospect. I know it was just a shot in the dark, stars align kind of question in regards to Hughes being ready next year but still. No need to rush anyone. We got a real stud here with Hughes. Lets stick to the plan.

Why would the team (a business) rush and perhaps spoil one of their top assets?  For a few short-term dollars?  It makes zero sense.  Sure, Edmonton did it, but we're talking about smart businessmen here who've seen it happen there and otherwise.  As it is, we're going to have at least 2-3 rookies come in this year to take care of "showing off the new kids".

One of the benefits of not having Hughes start the season here is that it opens the door for Juolevi to make it, and second, to give Pouliot, Hutton, and the like another year to show what they can do.  Then come the end of the year (or sooner) we can decide what to do with them, as Hughes and perhaps others like Sautner and Brisebois will also be ready so roster spots are going to need to be opened.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Why would the team (a business) rush and perhaps spoil one of their top assets?  For a few short-term dollars?  It makes zero sense.  Sure, Edmonton did it, but we're talking about smart businessmen here who've seen it happen there and otherwise.  As it is, we're going to have at least 2-3 rookies come in this year to take care of "showing off the new kids".

One of the benefits of not having Hughes start the season here is that it opens the door for Juolevi to make it, and second, to give Pouliot, Hutton, and the like another year to show what they can do.  Then come the end of the year (or sooner) we can decide what to do with them, as Hughes and perhaps others like Sautner and Brisebois will also be ready so roster spots are going to need to be opened.

It's nice knowing we can afford to cut a few guys who aren't pulling their weight. The depth at forwards and defence know creates a pressure cooker scenerio for all the players in the organization. The cream will rise to the top. Good night to those who don't. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

HUGHES should go back to Michigan for another year and play big minutes. We need to preserve our entry level deals on some of these guys so we can have a quick run while they are cap friendly and have room for a couple high priced rentals at a deadline. 

In 2 seasons from now we would be fortunate to have joelevi, petterson, hughes still on elc’s and be in a playoff position ideally in early March.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

HUGHES should go back to Michigan for another year and play big minutes. We need to preserve our entry level deals on some of these guys so we can have a quick run while they are cap friendly and have room for a couple high priced rentals at a deadline. 

In 2 seasons from now we would be fortunate to have joelevi, petterson, hughes still on elc’s and be in a playoff position ideally in early March.

It is a guarantee that Juolevi and Pettersson will be on ELC's two seasons from now as their current ELC's don't expire until after the 2020/21 season. It would be the same for Hughes if he signs this year.

Edited by Rick Blight

44 minutes ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

If he goes back to college, he very likely signs at the end of his college season and plays the last month-ish of this coming season and burns a year of his deal anyway. 

Either way, his ELC will have two years left after this season. 

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is exactly what I and a lot of others are saying. Let him be one of the better defensemen in the NCAA and play top minutes at the WJC and then step in for a short stint at the end of the year like Boeser and Gaudette. He can spend a year playing with his brother too. 

If Hughes and his family/advisors all want him to turn pro now, are you going to sign him or insist he goes back to college? Personally, I would give in to their demands as I would not want to alienate them at this early stage.

32 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

It is a guarantee that Juolevi and Pettersson will be on ELC's two seasons from now as their current ELC's don't expire until after the 2020/21 season. It would be the same for Hughes if he signs this year.

ELC is 3 years long. Can last upto 5 years due to slide rule.....The slide rules allow contract to slide depending on players age of signing ELC and which league and how many games the player plays... 

I think 10 or less games NHL allows ELC to slide.... 39 or less games allows RFA eligibility to extend by a year...

Edited by WHL rocks

3 hours ago, cory40 said:

Listening to Ray F talking about his blue print for Hughes. And I had to laugh. Let the players come to camp and see where they are at. Hughes Petterson and Juolevi have all played against men and might surprise. But they still should get their chance.

Hughes cant come to camp.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

If Hughes and his family/advisors all want him to turn pro now, are you going to sign him or insist he goes back to college? Personally, I would give in to their demands as I would not want to alienate them at this early stage.

Of course. But if I was JB, and really felt that he should go back to college, I imagine I would say something like, "If you are determined to go pro, we have a max entry level contract for you to sign whenever you want. The fans, the team and I are dying to see you play in a Canucks uniform. But we really feel that it would be better for your development to play another year of college, building up your strength. Because we really don't want some huge fourth line goon squashing you before you are strong enough to take it. And we would sign you at the end of your school year so you still get your signing bonus and burn a year off your ELC."

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

ELC is 3 years long. And the slide rules allow contract to slide depending on which league and how many games the player plays... 

I think 39 or less games NHL allows ELC to slide....

The slides apply to players that sign their contracts at age 18 or 19 as of September 15th of the year they sign. Juolevi is already 20 and would not be eligible to slide. Pettersson turns 20 in November and, because this is the 1st year of his contract, I don't believe he could slide either.

ENTRY-LEVEL SLIDES 2017-18

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Because signing bonuses are paid regardless of a slide, the bonuses paid on the slide year no longer count to the players remaining cap hit. The cap hit therefore changes - the players salary is averaged without the signing bonus.

If he insists on turning pro you sign him, see how he does in preseason... if he's not good enough you send him to AHL.... let him develop there until he's ready to be called up... 

AHL might be better for him than NCAA... he's pretty darn good.. played top 4 for team USA at world's with and against NHL players....

Just now, Rick Blight said:

The slides apply to players that sign their contracts at age 18 or 19 as of September 15th of the year they sign. Juolevi is already 20 and would not be eligible to slide. Pettersson turns 20 in November and, because this is the 1st year of his contract, I don't believe he could slide either.

ENTRY-LEVEL SLIDES 2017-18

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Because signing bonuses are paid regardless of a slide, the bonuses paid on the slide year no longer count to the players remaining cap hit. The cap hit therefore changes - the players salary is averaged without the signing bonus.

Yes. That's why I edited to add depending on age ...... 

Hughes would slide if he spends the year in AHL with upto 10 games in NHL

• Cheers 1