The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If you're referring to my comments last page, I'm not 'against' him playing in the AHL at all. I just think that if the decision is made to give him another developmental year that college might be the better route as it keeps him even a little bit further out of the fishbowl of being IN the Canucks organization.

It also eliminates the temptation (ability) to want to call him back up (after you just decided he should develop for another year). And perhaps more importantly, stamps out what would be incessant whining from media and fans to recall him all year long.

IMO, it's all about what's best for his development. Is playing in the NHL the right path? Or would he be best served with more development time (more gym/practice time) in college and without the constant distraction of recalls surrounding him? 

Instead of fans/media crying about calling him up, now you have the "Will he bail on us as a free agent instead of signing?" all year. Even though it's the first year after his draft. People will always have something to cry about. Never make a decision to quiet people down. I agree, it's all about doing what's best, they'll do just that. They don't care what we or the media say. If they did Tanev would have been traded a long time ago.

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If you're referring to my comments last page, I'm not 'against' him playing in the AHL at all. I just think that if the decision is made to give him another developmental year that college might be the better route as it keeps him even a little bit further out of the fishbowl of being IN the Canucks organization.

It also eliminates the temptation (ability) to want to call him back up (after you just decided he should develop for another year). And perhaps more importantly, stamps out what would be incessant whining from media and fans to recall him all year long.

IMO, it's all about what's best for his development. Is playing in the NHL the right path? Or would he be best served with more development time (more gym/practice time) in college and without the constant distraction of recalls surrounding him? 

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically, there's just a contingent of fans who are dead set against him playing pro next season. As far as the fishbowl goes, he'll be well out of the spotlight playing in Utica. There really aren't many Vancouver media members who pay  attention to our minor league affiliate, except tweets from Dhaliwal and the odd radio hit.

I agree that it's about his development and it will all come down to his decision after development camp. My hope is that he makes a good bond with players like Gadjovich, Palmu and Lind, and he sees the value in playing with future teammates. Utica is also in need of a puck moving PP QB and there is a fit there for him as well.

If he's dead set on going back to college and trying to get the Wolverines to a national title, then that's good too. I just don't see a ton of difference in development between those 2 situations. As far as playing with Jack goes, that could be a big reason for him to stay in school, but Jack needs to do his senior year of highschool this summer, so there's no guarantee that will happen at this point.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Rushing him into the NHL to fill some overpriced seats in the stands isnt worth it. 

How about rushing him into the NHL to be the difference maker in 20 games and help push us into the playoffs, where anything can happen?

And forget bonding with Gadjovich, Lind and Palmu -  how about bonding with Boesser, Horvat and Petterson, who will be his teammates for 2 decades, we hope?

He thinks he is ready and Benning thinks he is ready.  Only Aquaman thinks he should go back to college for a year's more seasoning (hey, I can read A's mind as well as the conspiracy theorists on CDC)!!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

How about rushing him into the NHL to be the difference maker in 20 games and help push us into the playoffs, where anything can happen?

And forget bonding with Gadjovich, Lind and Palmu -  how about bonding with Boesser, Horvat and Petterson, who will be his teammates for 2 decades, we hope?

He thinks he is ready and Benning thinks he is ready.  Only Aquaman thinks he should go back to college for a year's more seasoning (hey, I can read A's mind as well as the conspiracy theorists on CDC)!!

I think Hughes becomes our best D man the moment he steps on the ice.  Within 10 games of season’s start, he is logging 20 minutes a game.  By Christmas he’s getting 22 plus.  He’s ready now.  Get him signed. 

11 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

You've gone full Apollo. You never go full Apollo. I think I liked you better when you agreed with everything Desiboy was saying.

It’s summer.  I’m into the Kool Aid - green and blue.  :towel:

im super excited about Hughes.  He’s a unique player, that we have yet to see in Canuck’s colours.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

im super excited about Hughes.  He’s a unique player, that we have yet to see in Canuck’s colours.  

I personally like this version of Alf.  Super positive.  Quinn will decide what is best for Quinn.  I would be thrilled to see some of Quinn and some of Olli next year, even if that means no playoffs and less Edler.  

• Upvote 2

Exactly 1 year from now jack will be drafted by an nhl team.  Very high probability that team is not vancouver. 

So. Jack is with another team.  Quinn is still unsigned cuz we wanted him to go back to college this year.

Hmm. They are gonna want to play on the same team for their careers if they can...

I don't like that possible scenario. Just sayin..

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It was during this past season you were calling fans out for drinking the kool-aid. Welcome to the light side. Our man games lost for the past 3 seasons are 360, 439 and 302 this past season. Utica went through 60+ players this past season. 

Given those numbers and the fact that the Canucks have played their 11th and 12th defensemen during those years. It makes sense that they would want our bluechip guy in the system, just in case. 

Anyway you slice it, he's going to play for team USA for the WJC in Vancouver. It would be stupid to keep him out of that tournament.

Given our injury history, I really don't see how the Canucks can afford to keep this guy in the amateur ranks.

Edited by canuckledraggin
  • Upvote 2

Despite having made the argument that he might be better off playing another year in college, I must admit I would much prefer having Hughes in a Canuck uniform next season. I don't really think he needs any time in the AHL, since he has already demonstrated that he is comfortable and not at all out of place playing with and against NHL players. 

At this point, I am not even sure who I am the most eager and exited to see playing for the Canucks, EP or QH.

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I'm struggling to understand why people are against him playing in The AHL next season. The cons that I can think of are that it would burn a year from his elc and the style of play is a bit more sloppy and scrambly than it will be at the next level. Is it any less structured than the NCAA?

The pros are numerous from my way of thinking. He gets to play with and against other pro players. He will be coming in with a group of his peers who he can share the rookie experience with. The vocal and on ice leader of the team is Demko, who he will be playing in front of for years to come. His head coach was a former defense coach. According to Ryan Johnson the team had 69 practice days last season, so there's lots of time for development. If he starts to carve up the league he can be called up to the big club and can be sent down at will...

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/johnson-demko-sets-tone-for-practices-in-utica-1.1118414

i think you are exactly right.  I don't think he is going back to school for the reasons you just stated.  It will be NHL or AHL for him.  Juolevi probably won't make the show either so right there you got a two pairing to learn how to play together.   Quinn wants to go pro so that is a huge point, and what is more Benning and crew want it as well.  

• Like 1

I’m dumbfounded we have Quinton Hughes. 

His draft vids are great. I think he’s trying to be a pro in them but his emotion is a lot more like Jack and Brady inside. 

Kid will I’ll be a pro. Pretty wild. 

Whether he goes back for another year alongside his brother or turns pro, either way, i'll be happy. 

Though, I think he's going to turn pro and play in Utica.