The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

It is going to be hard to keep him off the team...but the only showcase he may have is the Young Prospects tourney and he has to pay his own way to that...

Benning will have to decide if he wants to push the young man into the lineup on his world cup performance and how he looks with our kids...

Still he would likely be our best D. within a month or 2 and EP and Boeser are going to need someone who can get them the puck...preferably in the O zone...!

I say he makes it even with all the roadblocks in his way.

Other teams' blips have benefited the Canucks. I don't understand MTL taking Kotkaniemi so high at #3 and ARI taking Hayton at #5. They went for the Centres, but so much for BPA. Hughes may turn out to be the BPA in this draft, depending on what Dahlin and Svech do on their teams. There is so much upside for this kid. He skates beautifully, smooth and quick, turns on a dime, turns opponents inside out with his fakes etc. And his passing is world class. I'm still giddy after 3 days, still can't believe Benning NAILED THE PICK.

Just one more Top 6 forward and they're done IMO. Maybe Jack in 2019?

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - J. Hughes - Virtanen

Leipsic - Gaudette - Goldobin

Gadjovich - Sutter - Lockwood

Lind

Edler - Stecher

Q. Hughes - Tanev

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Chatfield

Woo

Demko

DiPietro

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Brackett;  "What F'ing Moron's"...

LoL. What morons, #$&)

That actually looks like what he says lol. Surprised if so given his daughter is 2 seats over lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Deathbyoompa said:

Burns has an excellent shot. Weak wrister was a poor choice of words. Should have said he takes a lot off his shot to get the puck through traffic. 

Not sure who we have to play that gritty net front presence. Tipping pucks in or grabbing greasy rebounds. 

Right now, we don't have a lot.  Horvat doesn't mind getting in there sometimes, and I think Virtanen has the capability of doing so.  For the young guys, Gadjovich doesn't shy away from such play and while he doesn't tend to stand in front of the net, Dahlen is good at being in the right place at the right time.

It's a good point though, and in order to properly utilize Hughes we should focus on changing our rather perimeter play accordingly.  (Not that you change your whole team structure for one guy, but hard-nosed play is something we've lacked for a while now)

On 6/24/2018 at 8:59 AM, SingleThorn said:

No ! He can attend camp, but no money can be involved. No freebies ( meals ? lodging ? )

We wouldn't be able to cover flights, hotels, or reimburse restaurant meals, etc. However, a vet on the team who has a spare bedroom could put him up, and we are able to have our own cooks prepare team meals and he can eat those for free.

Trouble is, his school year will have already started by the time our September training camp and preseason rolls around. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Haha I swear i have seen multiple people make that 'mistake' on these boards - so much so I thought I was missing some sort of inside joke about calling him Tony

EDIT:

Nevermind, this was answered like 10 times already haha.

I was catching up on the a few pages worth of posts.

Edited by MattJVD

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pettersson won't be playing the point.  He and Boeser will be the twin 100mph+ cannons to the left and right.  And as others have mentioned, Hughes actually has a pretty decent wrister, just not the booming clapper... yet.

Petterson was used a lot on the point and right circle he kinda roves.

52 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

We wouldn't be able to cover flights, hotels, or reimburse restaurant meals, etc. However, a vet on the team who has a spare bedroom could put him up, and we are able to have our own cooks prepare team meals and he can eat those for free.

Trouble is, his school year will have already started by the time our September training camp and preseason rolls around. 

If he goes pro, I'm sure they will know sometime soon

17 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Anyone know the connection Weisbrod has with the Hughes family?? Weisbrod mentioned he was at the hospital when Quinn was born.

Both were with the Orlando Solar Bears of the IHL at the time.

Jim as a coach and John as a manager I believe.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Remember when Jordan Subban was the future offense on D? lol

I feel a whole lot better about the D these days.

It's funny how we were hoping that Jordan Subban would turn out to be a player like Quinn Hughes. Sure Jordan has the skating and dynamic offense, but the defensive side is not even close.

(Obviously it's too early to tell but I can see Quinn knows how to use his stature, positioning, speed, and stick to his advantage on the defensive side of things).

4 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

It's funny how we were hoping that Jordan Subban would turn out to be a player like Quinn Hughes. Sure Jordan has the skating and dynamic offense, but the defensive side is not even close.

(Obviously it's too early to tell but I can see Quinn knows how to use his stature, positioning, speed, and stick to his advantage on the defensive side of things).

Quinn a better skater, way better. 

20 hours ago, R3aL said:

I don't think juolevi is ready yet I really think he's gonna start the year in Utica but we will see soon!

Im hoping that drafting an elite Dman like Hughes that has the fanbase this excited and comes with the potential to make the team before him will be enough to light a real fire under Juolevi's ass. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm curious to how team tank feels about how this played out. The Canucks still got their choice of the 2nd best dman according to their BPA list. They wanted to trade up to get him but didn't need to. Sure there may have been some good forwards that we could have taken had we fallen, but the defense cupboard was bare and we needed this. Next year is deep for centermen. The Sedins got their send off that they deserved and we got our guy, not sure how much better this could have played out given the circumstances.

I can't imagine having it play out any better than it did. I still can't believe we got him. Every once in a while I'll be doing something and out of the blue, "We got Hughes!" pops into my head. And I'll giggle a little.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I can't imagine having it play out any better than it did. I still can't believe we got him. Every once in a while I'll be doing something and out of the blue, "We got Hughes!" pops into my head. And I'll giggle a little.

Amen to that.I'll be waiting for the day when we can draft hughs-son :ph34r:

Edited by CeeBee51