The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toni Utunen | D

thejazz97

I had a chance to watch the game last night and Utunen was, at best, unnoticeable. As others have said, his pairing got hemmed in and I don't think he played that much overall. 

There was one play where Utunen was in the offensive zone and the puck came up the boards to him. He made an ill advised decision and decided to throw it across to his partner, who was effectively covered. This put him in a tough spot and lead to Finland losing the zone and almost getting burned by the Swedish counterattack. I never noticed him and it felt like Rasanen played more after that (although Rasanen didn't make a good pass all night). 

Overall, not the best opening game for Utunen, but not complete garbage either. 

I was at the Finn - Kaz game last night, noticed Utunen in a good way against an undermanned Kazakhstan team, but hard to really judge him, with not a lot of pressure.

All the Finns broke out easily...…..

But if you want a incredible goalie with a late pick...…...the Kazakhstan goalie, was incredible.....stopped 51 of 56 shots......most goals came on scrabbles, after he had stopped the first 2 shots....the kid was good....everybody in the rink chanting "MVP" for the kid.

• Thanks 1

Utunen puts a dagger in the hearts of all Canuck fans...talk about mixed emotions...

He may never play a game for the Canucks, but his name will be talked about in Team Canada history as a slayer of Canucks.

...hope he gets good enough to make the Canucks

• Like 1

Got to admit, I haven't watched much of the WJC this year. Kept an eye on it though. Looks like DiPietro played great, but didn't get the scoring from the skaters. He can only do so much. Not happy Canada lost, but I'm pleased it was a Canucks prospect that got the game winner. Not good for Canada, but good for the Canucks. I guess Team Canada really should've put Woo on the team ;)

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Wouldn't this actually be GOOD for this kid's development?

Maybe you'll see him AND Dipietro on the team someday and they can laugh it off together.

There's a parallel with the 1999 World Juniors, when Artem Chubarov scored the OT winner to secure gold for the Russians over Canada. Canada's goalie was . . . Roberto Luongo. But I don't think the two crossed paths in Vancouver--Chubarov was back in Russia by the time Bobby Lu joined the Canucks. 

• Upvote 1