The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Turcotte also had a 5 point night, though I can't remember the last time someone had a 5 point night and was relatively "quiet" but USA did score 12 goals

• Haha 1

IMO the only other defenseman considered at 10 should be Soderstrom. He is already playing against men in Sweden and has a high-level skillset, hockey IQ, and vision to go along with his skating. An all-situations puck moving defenseman, could be a great d-partner for Juolevi. 

Broberg reminds me of a defenseman version of Virtanen -- good in the defensive zone but when he gets the puck it's a full head steam up the ice to get into the offensive zone but nothing happening after that. He has a lot of tools to become a dynamic player but what about the toolbox? 

All that said, Benning should really go for a forward. Horvat needs a wingman and I don't think Virtanen is that guy. I really like the US forwards. I'm hoping that one of them is available at our pick. Any one of Turcotte, Zegras, or Boldy would be perfect. If Podkolzin falls to us he should be a no-brainer pick. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

This U18 tournament could turn the top end of the draft on it'e head in a hurry.  Let's assume that Hughes, Kakkoare 1&2 and Byram is almost certainly gone by 10 as well.  The next 10 picks are going to be crazy.  We could very well walk away with the 4th best player in the draft, depending on how things shake out.  There is not much separating the list below:

Cozens- Likely top 5

Podkolzin- Huge talent, but lots of question marks.  I could see him falling by more than a few a spots.

Dach- Not playing U18s,do others who stand out leap frog him?  Most likely gone by our pick

Turcotte- Injured for lots of the season, but has been fantastic when he has played.  I could  see him anywhere from 3-12.

Zegras-  May be the most dynamic player in the draft not named Hughes.  Not in U18s, does that hurt his stock?  I see him anywhere from 6-12.

Boldy-  Strong season, and has been lights out so far n U18s.  closer to NHL ready than most.  I would have had him ranked 8-12 before, but now probably 6-10

Krebs- Very talented, but some questions.  If he played on a strong team, how much better would he have looked.  Another 6-12 guy

Caufield- Will likely dismantle Ovie's goal record at the U18s. How many teams will ignore his skill due to his size?  

Soderstrom- Very skilled RHD.  I compare him to Boquist from last year, minus the shot, but with far better D.  Every year at least 2 D go top 10.

Broberg-  Great size and skill, a strong tournament could boost his stock significantly.

Other than Dach and Cozens, we are going to have a choice of 4 guys on this list.  I will have my fingers crossed that Podkolzin or Zegras are there.

Boldy and Caufield's stock is for sure on the rise...same for Turcotte...

I can't see Podkolzin falling to us but maybe Dach or Zegras....otherwise I would take a chance of Caufield if available and none of the previous 3 are...after that I would go;

Soderstrom

Krebs

Broberg

• Upvote 1

Unless drafting philosophy drastically changes, I still think there's a great chance one of Boldy, Caufield end up at our spot. There has been a very obvious premium put on centres, just look at last year, 3rd and 5th overall picks really mostly out of nowhere. Kotkaniemi obviously had a lot of rumors right towards the draft, but it was still a surprise. 

Especially with all the centres at the top of the draft, you have to think one of the USNTDP wingers will be available. I really like the idea of either Boldy or Caufield. Both have the ability to score at a high level.

• Upvote 3

Well, my head is in a tizzy!

So many good forwards in the top 10.

What my hope is, is that we obtain another late 1st

Then draft one of Zegras, Dach, Boldy with our 10th OA

then

RHD Lassi Thompson and RHD  Kaedan Korczak 

with our late 1st and early 2nd

Then a faller in the 3rd (Teply)

this would make me very happy! :bigblush:

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Edmonton and Anaheim’s picks will be the ones that direct will affect 

Prediction:

Edmonton : Caufield ( New GM trying to make a splash, need a skilled winger with speed to play with McDavid) 

Anahaim: with Keslers future uncertain I think they’ll get to pick their highest ranked Center ( Turcotte if he drops Krebs possibly) 

That being said I think Boldy will be available at our pick 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

i could see 6 centres, 2 rw’ers. 1 lw’er and 1 defenseman going in the top 10. 

i would like one of the centres, all of them can also play wing. 

boldy or caulfield could fall to us. i don’t know which one would make the best nhl’er?

• Upvote 1

Never mind Top 10, what are the chances that Caufield goes Top 5? Such a smart player, always in perfect position, incredible shot.

I watched the USA / Sweden game, and I think Hughes is over-rated. Is he not trying his best? Maybe he doesn't want to impress too much, so he could play for the Hawks or Rangers instead lol He didn't stand out as the best USA player anyway. Here's my order of impressiveness for that game:

Caufield

Boldy

York

Turcotte

Hughes

Broberg

Beecher

Soderstrom

Knight

McCarthy / Bjornfot

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Never mind Top 10, what are the chances that Caufield goes Top 5? Such a smart player, always in perfect position, incredible shot.

I watched the USA / Sweden game, and I think Hughes is over-rated. Is he not trying his best? Maybe he doesn't want to impress too much, so he could play for the Hawks or Rangers instead lol He didn't stand out as the best USA player anyway. Here's my order of impressiveness for that game:

Caufield

Boldy

York

Turcotte

Hughes

Broberg

Beecher

Soderstrom

Knight

McCarthy / Bjornfot

I could see Boldy and Caufield being selected before we do. 

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Boldy and Caufield's stock is for sure on the rise...same for Turcotte...

I can't see Podkolzin falling to us but maybe Dach or Zegras....otherwise I would take a chance of Caufield if available and none of the previous 3 are...after that I would go;

Soderstrom

Krebs

Broberg

Edited by TheHockeyNerds

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

This U18 tournament could turn the top end of the draft on it'e head in a hurry.  Let's assume that Hughes, Kakkoare 1&2 and Byram is almost certainly gone by 10 as well.  The next 10 picks are going to be crazy.  We could very well walk away with the 4th best player in the draft, depending on how things shake out.  There is not much separating the list below:

Cozens- Likely top 5

Podkolzin- Huge talent, but lots of question marks.  I could see him falling by more than a few a spots.

Dach- Not playing U18s,do others who stand out leap frog him?  Most likely gone by our pick

Turcotte- Injured for lots of the season, but has been fantastic when he has played.  I could  see him anywhere from 3-12.

Zegras-  May be the most dynamic player in the draft not named Hughes.  Not in U18s, does that hurt his stock?  I see him anywhere from 6-12.

Boldy-  Strong season, and has been lights out so far n U18s.  closer to NHL ready than most.  I would have had him ranked 8-12 before, but now probably 6-10

Krebs- Very talented, but some questions.  If he played on a strong team, how much better would he have looked.  Another 6-12 guy

Caufield- Will likely dismantle Ovie's goal record at the U18s. How many teams will ignore his skill due to his size?  

Soderstrom- Very skilled RHD.  I compare him to Boquist from last year, minus the shot, but with far better D.  Every year at least 2 D go top 10.

Broberg-  Great size and skill, a strong tournament could boost his stock significantly.

Other than Dach and Cozens, we are going to have a choice of 4 guys on this list.  I will have my fingers crossed that Podkolzin or Zegras are there.

Boqvist and Soderstrom are nothing alike expect being Swedish and RHD. Boqvists offensive tools are far superior than Soderstroms, while Söderström plays a better two-way game. Soderstrom is more comparable to someone like Nils Lundquist or a lesser Ty Smith

Edited by TheHockeyNerds
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Boqvist and Soderstrom are nothing alike expect being Swedish and RHD. Boqvists offensive tools are far superior than Soderstroms, while Söderström plays a better two-way game. Soderstrom is more comparable to someone like Nils Lundquist or a lesser Ty Smith

Boqvist is more comparable to Broberg. Excellent skating, and puck moving while skating.  Questions about hockey Q. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

I make the comparison based on being smallish RH puckmoving defensemen.  They are both have very good vision and passing ability and are excellent at getting the puck out of their end.  Boquist has a far better shot, while Soderstrom is far better in his own end.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

...Hard to argue with that...

I did assume Boldy would be gone and likely Caufield ...but he might fall due to his size alone.

Soderstrom seems like he might fit our needs better than any other D., even Byram who plays the same side as Hughes and Juolevi and Edler if we sign him ...and we will...