The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

38 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

If they are BPA, yes.

Reminder, Chicago won how many cups with Patrick Kane? We could have passed on Pettersson because he was skinny. And, say, taken 200lb Own Tippett?

People are having a whinge because Tampa lost? And Johnny Gaudreau was shut down? Columbus, who beat Tampa, their three top forwards might have been;

5'11'' Matt Duchesne

168lb Artemi Panarin

5'8'' Cam Atkinson.

I could have mention Oliver Bjorkstrand who is 177 lbs & playing a key role? Maybe Tampa lost because Hedman is too big...  :emot-parrot:

The key word is grit, not size.

See Boston.  Their three best forwards in championship years?

5'9'' Brad Marchand.

6' Patrice Bergeron

188lb David Krejci

Size for the sake of size can be had less expensively than top talent! 

You guys are losing the plot.

Surfer buddy...…….

Bad comparison...….Kane was a 1st OA (2007), and Tippet was 10th OA(2017)

Apples and Oranages

But, you do have a point, and I would suggest it is the OA team size, as well as the individuals and their make up...…….granted there is a lot more than making a simple statement, and if Benning took Caulfield, then I would support him, in that he thought that was the best pick...….

In saying that, I think there will be 3 or 4 picks that will be BPA, when it comes to our pick, and it will be Benning that has to decide which one fits into the general scheme of things......and it will be a tough choice...….personally......I want Dach………..and so does 5 or 6 other teams....lol

So, we shall see...….

But back to the size thing....it will be interesting to see what team wins, with what players...….the Playoffs are a marathon, and a very physical at that....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

How many swedes give up an nhl career for another league? How many canadians, americans, finns, or germans? 

we arent talking “couldnt get an nhl job” either. 

Actually alot back in the day. Haakan lob was a prime example.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't know if you are trying to turn this into some big argument with that poster but he is true in that more Russians bale on the NHL than any other players from other countries. That makes some people, including some scouts and GMs, very gun shy about picking them. Wasn't it Gillis that would never take a Russian?

It is a thing whether you like the theory or not.

No it isnt. Most  russians who flame out arent the ones who make it big in the nhl.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Vicky said:

I was just about to respond about Broberg.  He reminds me a lot of Edler, which wouldn't be bad, but he has this tantalizing upside.  He could really be special.  Tough choices at 10 and I suspect the brass won't even know their options til after the 9th selection.

His skating is far superior to anyone on our team except Hughes.

29 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

His skating is far superior to anyone on our team except Hughes.

I wouldn't say that. He's a big lanky kid who looks awkward on his skates. I wouldn't call him a smooth or silky skater. He has decent speed, no denying that. Just looks like a giraffe on skates.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

I wouldn't say that. He's a big lanky kid who looks awkward on his skates. I wouldn't call him a smooth or silky skater. He has decent speed, no denying that. Just looks like a giraffe on skates.

He kind of looks like Edler, optically, but uses his crossovers more.

Edited by Duodenum

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

It’s all hypothetical scenarios though. Sure the d pool looks like it could use a boost but the forward prospects are far from locks on a future roster. What if Hughes does become a number 1. Tryamkin does come back, Juolevi and Woo both turn into top 4 guys before Soderstrom or Broberg even make it. In the mean time our forward prospects flopped and we’ve passed on the BPA forward in Boldy or Krebs and they become twice the player the dman is that we took.

Now your scenario could come true or mine could. However in my scenario I’ll always know I took the best player I could in the draft and I could potentially make a deal like Johansen for Seth Jones but when you try to offer me Juolevi for Tkachuk the teams will laugh and hang up the phone.

Always draft BPA because needs change by the time that player will even make it on the roster.

I definitely agree BPA but have seen a few rankings showing Soderstrom around 10.  A lot of “experts” say after top 3 this year, it’s a bit of a crap shoot as most of the others in 3-12 group are all very good.  I trust JB to find some good picks this year as well.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The Jets moved to Phoenix.

Who cares!

It's called trade value. The other players got a return from the other team. When a player on your team bolts for the KHL you get nothing. Not comparable at all.

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This could be an interesting situation. Thinking about Podkolzin, great player in the KHL, was projected Top 3 all year, but Russian players are risky. I wonder if other players rise in the rankings (with the WHL playoffs and U18), and some fall, like Podkolzin.

Say this is the Top 9:

Hughes

Kakko

Byram

Caufield

Turcotte

Krebs

Boldy

Dach

If the Canucks have a choice between Podkolzin, Zegras, Cozens, Broberg or Soderstrom, who do they take? Do they take the Top 3 Russian that falls into their lap? Or do they take the safe pick? Benning and his group have a tough task in judging BPA.

If Cozens truly drops to 10, which I DOUBT he does, you have to take him. Kids a fuc*ing STUD. 

• Upvote 1

Korzack, Tracey & Newhook are really growing on me.

Brayden Tracey has that 'it' factor, kind of like Caufield. He just makes plays. And he's been more engaged along the walls + in the Dzone than when I saw him earlier in the year too.

Korzack doesn't have the upside that Thomas Harley has, but I really like his poise. Doesn't seem to panic with the puck when he's under pressure. He "puts out fires" as Weisbrod would say. 

Now here's a question for everyone; Newhook or Krebs? I go back & forth.

Krebs is more industrious, but I think I might give the edge to Newhook. Better skater & better shot. Although in fairness to Krebs, they've been used differently. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Dont bundle Ladd and Barker together.

The guy said he doesn’t draft Russians and in 2004 the draft went

Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, Ladd

I was only asking if he’s so scared to draft Russians what would he have done in 2004. Does he pass on both Ovi and Malkin for the guys that went after them. Just trying to find out how crazy he is to pass up great talent because of nationality and fear.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Brayden Tracey has that 'it' factor, kind of like Caufield. He just makes plays. And he's been more engaged along the walls + in the Dzone than when I saw him earlier in the year too.

Korzack doesn't have the upside that Thomas Harley has, but I really like his poise. Doesn't seem to panic with the puck when he's under pressure. He "puts out fires" as Weisbrod would say. 

Krebs is more industrious, but I think I might give the edge to Newhook. Better skater & better shot. Although in fairness to Krebs, they've been used differently. 

For all the BPA talk, here's a blurb from a Judd Brackett interview:

Q: How does a scout watch a game, especially compared to a fan?

A: The evolution of a scouting year, what you’re looking for changes. Early in the year, you might be looking at physical attributes, how well they skate, handle the puck, how well they shoot, basic tells.

Then it’s situational stuff: where does the coach use them, do they trust them, are they on the ice late when they’re down a goal, those types of scenarios.

As the year goes on you have to focus on play away from the puck or work rate or maybe you had an interview or you heard something from a coach that makes you want to look more closely at something that maybe you missed the first time around or one of the other scouts noticed and you should see, too.

So, we start in on a broad look at player ability and then focus in on actual mechanics or technique, things that we may have heard that we want a better feel on.

We get way more specific as the year goes on, that may even play out as questions like how will this player fare under our coaching staff, or our player development staff.

It’s important that we get players who fit our criteria as a Canuck, that they’re more than maybe just the fastest guy on the ice or the most skilled, there are a lot of details that go in to making this list.

I know there are scouting lists that are made to the public. But everyone has their own criteria into what makes a BPA. For the average fan, we get stuck really on the first point of "basic tells". Some people have more time to look into players more and some people are paid to do so. Some get some Intel from several scouts and puts out a list. At the end of the day the Canucks have their own list of BPA and it may not agree with any or all of the other lists out there including other NHL teams' lists. I am certain the Canucks will pick the BPA based on what their "criteria as a Canuck" is. Unfortunately it's not a science to predict how 17 year olds will pan out years down the road, so there will be some misses whether it was the wrong pick or just unforseen circumstances (eg injuries) leading to unfortunate results.

In the same interview, Brackett talks about how when they do make misses, they continue to follow other players to try to learn what mistakes they've made and re-evaluate their scouting/drafting methods. Also beyond the 1st round, he talked about how the BPA list evolves around who they've and other teams have picked. The one thing that the Canucks seem to emphasize beyond hockey skills in the top half of the draft seems to character whether it's people with good values or players that are driven to push themselves. They seem to try to make some more daring picks late in the draft though and hope for a home run (eg Palmu or Manyukan).

The Canucks seem to have put in a lot of time in their scouting and it is very pleasing to see Brackett, Benning and Co being all giddy when they get picks that they themselves are shocked to see have "fallen" and are clearly much higher in their lists whether it matches other projected lists or not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It seems to me like Newhook is more like Jost who's likely going to be a decent 2nd line NHLer (maybe 1st line potential) while Krebs is also that 2nd or very good 3rd liner type. But Krebs has that Horvat factor that can play a ton of minutes in all situations (like a de facto 1st liner). Newhook seems to be more of a boom or bust type guy while Krebs floor is higher IMO. This is all with very limited knowledge of them both, so I could be very off with my evaluation. With that said, I'm leaning towards Krebs right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2