The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Which is why it almost certainly won't/shouldn't happen.  To move up a few spots in the draft, yet be saddled with that buyout-proof anchor another 4 years?  Too much presentist bias chasing after shiny trinkets, seemingly no matter what the cost.

Absolutely. Only reason to even consider it is if we're picking at 8 AND 10... And even then...

And I doubt Holland pays that price. No interest whatsoever in moving up 2 spots.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On 5/13/2019 at 4:22 PM, NUCKER67 said:

It would be great if any of the top guys fell (Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Krebs), but the problem with that is EDM and ANA are picking ahead of us. I think this is Benning last Draft, unless he works some magic this offseason and gets them into the playoffs next year. This #10 pick is a big one. Will he draft a Pettersson or Hughes? Or will he draft a Virtanen or Juolevi? I don't mean to disrespect Olli, but until he plays in the NHL, it was a bad pick. Hopefully he plays this year and becomes a Top 4 Dman, redeeming himself.

JB will have a ton of pressure to make some moves this off season.  Draft is in Van, he is in the last year of his contract and has some unforced errors to address.  

One question for the draft thread, does JB hold the pick and stay pat or make a move with the pick as the center piece?  

Part 2 of the question, if he stays put, does he go forward or defence?  If he moves the pick, does he do it for a roster player to address an immediate team need or to move up to down?  

If one is to believe the rumours, Panarian (sp?) is interested in Van.  He would be expensive, but what a winger for Ep40 and Brock.  

Then there is Winnipeg and their cap crunch this offseason.  Myers or Trouba or neither.  Trouba has been trouble to sign Myers is an FA.  They didn't get as far as they wanted this playoffs.  

The Jets have a tight group, but Laine is going to cost a mint to re sign.   

Edited by Phat Fingers

On 5/15/2019 at 6:24 PM, kenhodgejr said:

curious what everyone sees in Seider? I know about the obvious 

Aggressiveness - 8.5 

Size - 9 

Skating ______

IQ _________

Hands_________

Offensive_______
Defensive________

Professionalism/Personality ___________

If he ticks all the boxes right and Management can see him as having potential to be a top pairing D in a few years then I say lets go for him.

Aggressiveness - 8.5 

Size - 9 

Skating _____9 _

IQ ______8___

Hands___7______

Offensive____7___
Defensive______9__

Professionalism/Personality ______9_____

professionalism rated at 9 is based on Moritz Seider's statements in an interview he gave to the german media (below is the translated version):

“You just have to work harder than everyone else and I think that’s the case with me. While many of my teammates drove home after three or four hours, I pushed extra shifts. But you also have to be crazy about the sport. At home, I watched a lot of videos of my role models and paid attention to what differentiates them from other players, what they do better. I think that you also have to deal with your sport away from the ice. But I’m also very ambitious, never give up.” -Moritz Seider

defensive rated at 9 is based on "eye test" what I have seen from him in the games at the worlds so far.

first of I would like to mention that he played on the top pairing together with Dennis Seidenberg's younger brother Yannic Seidenberg. In the game against Denmark he thwarted a 2 on 1 (Seider the last D) in a manner only the best NHL D-Men are capable of. He went down to the ice in order to prevent the forward on the outside making a cross ice pass to the other forward skating towards the high slot. That was an real strong defensive play. Don't agree with the hockey analyst who wrote the report on last word on hockey that Seider needs to improve his positioning. Gap control and positioning are really strong from my personal perspective (I have been watching hockey for more than 25 years and I know what I am talking about).

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

JB will have a ton of pressure to make some moves this off season.  Draft is in Van, he is in the last year of his contract and has some unforced errors to address.  

One question for the draft thread, does JB hold the pick and stay pat or make a move with the pick as the center piece?  

Part 2 of the question, if he stays put, does he go forward or defence?  If he moves the pick, does he do it for a roster player to address an immediate team need or to move up to down?  

If one is to believe the rumours, Panarian (sp?) is interested in Van.  He would be expensive, but what a winger for Ep40 and Brock.  

Then there is Winnipeg and their cap crunch this offseason.  Myers or Trouba or neither.  Trouba has been trouble to sign Myers is an FA.  They didn't get as far as they wanted this playoffs.  

The Jets have a tight group, but Laine is going to cost a mint to re sign.   

I can see a scenario where JB makes a play for Trouba. Especially if Edler isn't resigned. 

Moving Loui out appears to be a must. Not sure how you do that without taking back a new anchor. Loui is at least a serviceable anchor.

Anders Lee would be a great FA signing, I bet he resigns with the Isle though. 

Then there is Karlson. He has a legit shot at the cup right now. San Jose can fit him into their cap as well. I’m not sure if the Canucks want to make that size of a commitment required to get him. 

If Trouba is too expensive, I think JB needs to make a pitch for Ristolainen out of Buffalo. @Sabres#1fan does not seem high on him though. I’m not sure why. 

One way way or another, I believe we will see a different squad in October.

6 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Does anyone know the status of Seider after exiting yesterday's game? It would be a real shame if he had to sit out for the remainder of the tourney. 

accoring to reports available on the german media he is "okay". He is feeling better and better. The day after the hit he went through the concussion protocol. Okay sounds like he can play tomorrow against CAN and the day after against the States.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

If Trouba is too expensive, I think JB needs to make a pitch for Ristolainen out of Buffalo. @Sabres#1fan does not seem high on him though. I’m not sure why. 

I think some of that is because he miscast in the big minutes, matchup role (similar to Edler) and doesn't frankly have the defensive chops for it. Makes him look worse than he is.

Paired in a more offensive role with Hughes and I think he would be fantastic.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Please Jim, qualify someone or make some sort of announcement so we don't have to keep hearing people advocate trading for Lucic...

I really don't get the desire to bring these type in.  Undoubtedly those advocating it now will be the first ones crying for them to be bought out one month into the season.

Satiar Shah: Teams are not able to walk away from salary arbitration awards if they are under $4.39 million. The Vancouver Canucks may not be interested in going through salary arbitration with Carter Hutton because of that. There is a chance that if they can’t trade or sign him to an extension, they could not qualify him.

carter hutton, funny ::D

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I can see a scenario where JB makes a play for Trouba. Especially if Edler isn't resigned. 

Moving Loui out appears to be a must. Not sure how you do that without taking back a new anchor. Loui is at least a serviceable anchor.

Anders Lee would be a great FA signing, I bet he resigns with the Isle though. 

Then there is Karlson. He has a legit shot at the cup right now. San Jose can fit him into their cap as well. I’m not sure if the Canucks want to make that size of a commitment required to get him. 

We have too many bottom six forwards, LE is a dead weight and we need a upgrade on our defence. 

I propose a Loui for Lou deal with Florida.  Luongo comes here to be injured for the rest of his deal, we take cap on Eriksson and he plays out hi contract in Florida, Lou comes here for a week a year and can have daiquiris with Eriksson in South Beach.  

This offseason is make or break for management.  I hope our group doesn't lose sight of their plan and blows things on swinging at balls.  

• Upvote 4

Man its hard to trust Bennings critical thinking when he says stuff like this...

“Defenceman are deep this year, maybe not at the high end, but once you get halfway through the first round, there’s a lot that we like,” added Benning. “If that guy is there at No. 10 we’ll be taking him. It’s been proved by teams still playing that good teams are built through goal, defence and centre. That’s the basic principle.”

If there’s multiple dmen that he likes and are in the 2nd half, why would you take one at 10 instead of trading down.

23 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Man its hard to trust Bennings critical thinking when he says stuff like this...

“Defenceman are deep this year, maybe not at the high end, but once you get halfway through the first round, there’s a lot that we like,” added Benning. “If that guy is there at No. 10 we’ll be taking him. It’s been proved by teams still playing that good teams are built through goal, defence and centre. That’s the basic principle.”

If there’s multiple dmen that he likes and are in the 2nd half, why would you take one at 10 instead of trading down.

Well I guess that confirms:

broberg

seider

soderstrom

york

harley

heinola

one will be a Canucks at 10.

absolutley praying we don’t reach too far and we get lucky.

if Chabot or McAvoy were talked about pre draft higher or actually drafted higher people would have laughed / freaked out but in hindsight they are stud defenders. Let’s hope we get a guy like that..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Conscience said:

He is clearly taking about Broberg, Soderstrom, Seider, Harley, York, Heinola all in that 10-20 range. Taking the best of the bunch is not a huge reach at 10 depending who is available. Is that the whole quote? "there’s a lot that we like,” added Benning. “If that guy is there"  it seems like there is one in particular they are eyeing.

53 minutes ago, Conscience said:

I think you're just looking for drama where there isn't any.  Probably the last place anyone should question his critical thinking is at the draft table.

• Cheers 3