The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

5 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

It puts the rebuild on hold because impatient fans want us to try to buy our way into the playoffs rather than wait for the team to be built. It isnt a guarantee of success and we dont have the other parts to challenge for a cup its a foolish way to try to speed up a rebuild.

Edmonton tried it by signing Lucic Maroon, and making an awful trade for Larsson giving up a league MVP. They werent ready for that kind of move yet and neither are we.

Lucic and Maroon are not in the caliber of EK. They are equivalent of LE and the 2nd tier of UFAs this year like Anders Lee, Ryan Dzingel, etc. The awful trade is more of the GM being a moron rather than being the wrong move (they needed to shore up their D which is the right move, just made the wrong trade).

We can be patient through the draft, but that also has no guarantee of success either. A bad draft year (wrong pick or injuries) could just as well put the rebuild on hold and also wastes a year or years on the current batch of young players. Soon we will simply get into a cycle of needing to moving out a player as they age and hope to find a replacement as we continue to wait for the magical group of draftees to gel together. It's surely a possible way of making it happen, but that doesn't discredit the idea that adding EK has it's own merits in taking our team to another level.

Adding a UFA of EK caliber is hardly being impatient IMO because it still doesn't cost any assets and the rebuild/revamp through the draft continues, but now we have an elusive #1 RD in the mix as well. I can understand the concern if we are trading our #10 pick for a Subban or something (but this also has it's own merits). There's really no doubt that adding EK takes this team to another level, the major concern is if his health can hold up, but I've suggested a plan to manage his minutes in his first season or two to ensure he gets back closer to full health.

• Upvote 3

Watching that video, they were discussing 3 players from a similar region. It sounds like it's either 3 WHL players or 3 USNTDP players. I think they were discussing Dach, Cozens and Krebs in that clip and it sounds like they like them all. 

There's also a point where Brackett talks about someone being a little lazy through the neutral zone while mentioning his size and that it's because he's better than everyone still. It sounds to me like that's a prospect with a size advantage or disadvantage with correctable habits. I think this is likely Dach, but it could also be Caufield as well.

I'm almost certain that Brackett is talking about Cozens when he talks about a big, explosive player who can play anywhere in the lineup. Reading too much into it, it sounds like they're not as convinced he'll be a top 6 forward but will be an NHL player, similar to Virtanen.

When they talk about someone who drives the bus and someone who was relentless with good body language, that makes me think they're talking about Krebs. He was definitely a play driver and his character has always been noted as a positive. 

So with that, I think they have those three players ordered Dach, Krebs, Cozens. Of course this is all me going off of a video that provided no real information. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

"We don't pick on immediacy", confirmed we are drafting Podkolzin :bigblush:

Always enjoy those little videos. Get an idea of what they are looking for. Benning sounds like he wants a shooter. So it's safe to say, personally, he may be eyeballing a forward. Which isn't super surprising given the forward crop this year being very good.

I've spoken highly of a few draftees this year, but I really like Podkolzin.

Though I've not seen much of his play, I've read a few reports on him and they all say the same thing. This guy's ultra-competitive. 

I get the impression that he's a high-pressure player with an endless supply of energy and the skills to go with it.

He's a hard forechecker who's not afraid to get his nose dirty.

It seems his drop in draft status stems from comments he made about staying in Russia until he's ready for the NHL. 

If we got what he's promising to be, I'd be happy to wait. 

This is the type of top-six player I like and feel we need. 

His skillset figures to translate well to playoff hockey.

This is the type of player I could see with either Petey or Horvat.

I'm really hoping this kid drops at the draft. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, komodo0921 said:

Though I've not seen much of his play, I've read a few reports on him and they all say the same thing. This guy's ultra-competitive. 

I get the impression that he's a high-pressure player with an endless supply of energy and the skills to go with it.

It seems his drop in draft status stems from comments he made about staying in Russia until he's ready for the NHL. 

there's some concerns about the lack of offensive output though, and they need to pick a player with a high offensive ceiling, imo.  He would look good with Bo, no question

6 hours ago, khay said:

I somehow get this hunch that Krebs would be our pick too. And my hunch says he will become a really good player. Kind of a similar vibe as I got from Bo.

Wow. I wonder if this leads NJ to pick Kakko over Hughes. Would be a major shock but Kakko definitely has the feel of a winner.

I think the Devils do pick Kakko first.  Then, JB (who has already acquired 8 OA from the Oilers with Lucic) trades 8 and 10 to the Rangers for 2.  We get Jack Hughes!!!!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

there's some concerns about the lack of offensive output though, and they need to pick a player with a high offensive ceiling, imo.  He would look good with Bo, no question

I've also read about those concerns but we have to take into account that he played in multiple leagues in one season. Makes it tough to get comfortable with a team.

The reports I've read, say the skills are undeniable and his ceiling is high. Him staying in Russia for a couple of seasons would allow him to develop at a more natural pace and allow him to grow and mature.

If there's a chance to be taken, this could be the kid to take it on.

26 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Watching that video, they were discussing 3 players from a similar region. It sounds like it's either 3 WHL players or 3 USNTDP players. I think they were discussing Dach, Cozens and Krebs in that clip and it sounds like they like them all. 

There's also a point where Brackett talks about someone being a little lazy through the neutral zone while mentioning his size and that it's because he's better than everyone still. It sounds to me like that's a prospect with a size advantage or disadvantage with correctable habits. I think this is likely Dach, but it could also be Caufield as well.

I'm almost certain that Brackett is talking about Cozens when he talks about a big, explosive player who can play anywhere in the lineup. Reading too much into it, it sounds like they're not as convinced he'll be a top 6 forward but will be an NHL player, similar to Virtanen.

When they talk about someone who drives the bus and someone who was relentless with good body language, that makes me think they're talking about Krebs. He was definitely a play driver and his character has always been noted as a positive. 

So with that, I think they have those three players ordered Dach, Krebs, Cozens. Of course this is all me going off of a video that provided no real information. 

Haha, I like the speculation! I think only your first paragraph is based in fact though. Brackett stating the Western region and US national team are strong areas certainly gives a nod to where they might be leaning. He otherwise could have stated European (Soderstrom, Broberg, Seider) or more broadly the CHL. 

Based on Weisbrod's later comments about liking 5-6 guys at 10, I think that could well include Dach, Krebs, Cozens, and any of the remaining US players in Turcotte, Zegras, Caulfield, and Boldy. Byram is another one in the West should he even be available. Oh, and another thing could his Western hat-tip also refer to BCHL all-star Newhook?

That's like 9 guys. Maybe Brackett didn't show his cards after all. 

24 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Yeah he screams playoff guy if even half of what is said about him is true. I really can't see him dropping to 10.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Interesting - I thought he was talking about Newhook not Dach on that take.

cause he says he’s so quick, better than everyone which makes him careless up the middle in his eyes.

and watching newhook he does have decent size (weight for his height) he is playing at a level well above the league he was in, he does skate without disregard of his own safety imo 

and no one has made him pay the price.

but he says he will learn and sounded confident it’s a lesson that can and will be learnt.

i could see how you connect that to Dach though and maybe your right! Or maybe we are both wrong haha

46 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Haha, I like the speculation! I think only your first paragraph is based in fact though. Brackett stating the Western region and US national team are strong areas certainly gives a nod to where they might be leaning. He otherwise could have stated European (Soderstrom, Broberg, Seider) or more broadly the CHL. 

Based on Weisbrod's later comments about liking 5-6 guys at 10, I think that could well include Dach, Krebs, Cozens, and any of the remaining US players in Turcotte, Zegras, Caulfield, and Boldy. Byram is another one in the West should he even be available. Oh, and another thing could his Western hat-tip also refer to BCHL all-star Newhook?

That's like 9 guys. Maybe Brackett didn't show his cards after all. 

Yeah it really is me stretching to make a lot of things work :lol:

I forgot Newhook could be included in that group as well. Given that multiple sources have said the Canucks will prioritize speed he seems like a strong candidate as well.

35 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Interesting - I thought he was talking about Newhook not Dach on that take.

cause he says he’s so quick, better than everyone which makes him careless up the middle in his eyes.

and watching newhook he does have decent size (weight for his height) he is playing at a level well above the league he was in, he does skate without disregard of his own safety imo 

and no one has made him pay the price.

but he says he will learn and sounded confident it’s a lesson that can and will be learnt.

i could see how you connect that to Dach though and maybe your right! Or maybe we are both wrong haha

I forgot Newhook could be included in that Western Canada group. The comments about the neutral zone and learning a lesson do make more sense with him because he is so clearly above the rest of the competition. Also given that the Canucks sounds like they'll be prioritizing speed, he sounds like a really good fit. I think he's someone with a really interesting set of tools, but I personally don't know if his production will carry over to the higher levels in the NCAA, AHL and/or NHL. If Brackett believes in him then that's good enough for me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, groovy said:

I believe it`s called expressing an opinion. One which I stand by. Gaudette is to become what, if the stars align, a third center? I would take a first rounder for that and never look back at this point assuming the pick is high enough to grab someone you want. Keep on preachin`on.

Even if a late first turns into a third line center that has a decently long career that's considered a win. So it's close. I'd honestly keep Gaudette unless we could get a top 20 pick but even then.. hard to give up on him considering his trajectory.

• Upvote 4

Posted this under a status but here is my opinion on cole 

"Caufield size scares me because we don’t have a particularly big top six. Look at how neutralized Johnny hockey is in the playoffs . If we had a bunch of big players I think the size would be less of a gamble as of how we are constructed right now I don’t think he will be a good fit . Just my two cents ."

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Trading Gaudette now would be a very bad move.  The kid, like you point out, has a bright future.  He's a proven winner, and we need more guys like that. 

Gaudette doesn't have the resume yet to fetch a good return. Makes no sense to trade him now, for little, and then he matures and develops into a power forward somewhere else? No way. If anything, trade him in 5 years when other teams really want him. Or keep him.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think the Devils do pick Kakko first.  Then, JB (who has already acquired 8 OA from the Oilers with Lucic) trades 8 and 10 to the Rangers for 2.  We get Jack Hughes!!!!

Lol if that were the case, I would keep 8 and 10 and draft Krebs along with Podkolzin. Draft dmen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.