The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

Blujus snipes 1 now 2-2

13 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

The good news is Ollie wasn't on the ice for the SH goal against... May be the 1st time all season. 

For some reason Dahlen is becoming a hated player with Utica fans.... Not really sure what's up with that... There are plenty worse than him......

Not sure what Comets fans are hating Dahlen.  I've not heard negative comments in the stands or BSing with other fans.  I actually think he has shown some really promising individual skills and has started many quality goal attempts promptly muffed by other players. He could use some upper body strength improvement.

Edited by TomatoPieFan

11 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

The good news is Ollie wasn't on the ice for the SH goal against... May be the 1st time all season. 

For some reason Dahlen is becoming a hated player with Utica fans.... Not really sure what's up with that... There are plenty worse than him......

Every fanbase finds itself a scapegoat, if not multiple. Not unexpected.

He's likely a victim of unrealistic expectations. Kinda like the oddball who complains about what Gaudette's done at the NHL level so far.

38 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

That’s cause OJ isn’t in tonight :unsure:

62AF6F86-519A-4531-A7D1-135AB78A3557.png

2 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

@UticaHockey

Not trying to sound like that guy but Solid goaltending tonight led to a good win, not going to saying that was there only issue but sure looked to me like throughout the start of the season the Goaltending has been the root of the problem. Timely saves are everything in most leagues

as far as I can remember, Demko is Utica's best player, losing him is like, the Canucks Losing Luongo back then, or Montreal losing Carey price.  I do hope Juolevi comes back soon.  Its a huge relief to know your better goalie is playing for you, and not to have to worry with him letting in softies.  

5 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

@UticaHockey

Not trying to sound like that guy but Solid goaltending tonight led to a good win, not going to saying that was there only issue but sure looked to me like throughout the start of the season the Goaltending has been the root of the problem. Timely saves are everything in most leagues

No question that losing Demko was the biggest of all the players lost to injuries and call ups. But even though last night was a good start it was only one game. It was great that we finally had a goalie give up less than 3 goals but Thatcher didn't face many tough chances. The Comets were absolutely awful the first half of the game with only 4 shots on goal. Likewise Laval was just as bad after they took a 2 - 1 lead and only had 4 shots themselves over the final 25 minutes.

It was a game of who wants it the least. Laval with 21 total shots and maybe 4 good scoring chances. Utica with 17 total shots and again may be 4 good scoring chances including the best chance which was Carcone's breakaway goal.

The real test for Demko and the Comets will be Friday night when they travel to a very good Rochester team.

• Upvote 1

Agreed it was a good start for Demko and the team.  I have to say though, watching the Comets this season, I haven't felt like goaltending has been their biggest issue.  Bachmann certainly wasn't great. I thought Kulbakov was spectacular in a few games and did what he could, but mostly was in over his head.  His defence left him out to dry repeatedly.

Despite last night's good start, I think it will take a while for Demko to get his game back to where it was last season.  

• Upvote 1

I dunno why I got a laugh out of this but the goalie situation has been so depleted in Utica that the empty net is a qualified AHL goalie for the Comets this season because they  have pulled the goalie in 10 games which is the threshold to have goalie stats count.

Capture.JPG

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

No question that losing Demko was the biggest of all the players lost to injuries and call ups. But even though last night was a good start it was only one game. It was great that we finally had a goalie give up less than 3 goals but Thatcher didn't face many tough chances. The Comets were absolutely awful the first half of the game with only 4 shots on goal. Likewise Laval was just as bad after they took a 2 - 1 lead and only had 4 shots themselves over the final 25 minutes.

It was a game of who wants it the least. Laval with 21 total shots and maybe 4 good scoring chances. Utica with 17 total shots and again may be 4 good scoring chances including the best chance which was Carcone's breakaway goal.

The real test for Demko and the Comets will be Friday night when they travel to a very good Rochester team.

Would like to see Archy, Gaunce and Gaudette back in Utica. Sending Gaudette down is not questioning his play in Vancouver but a desire for more TOI which would benefit him more. He has had a nice stretch in Van and can take his experience back to Utica.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1