The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Schaller | #59 | C

-SN-

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

No in this thread, other than the people you and @kingofsurrey have created in your heads, expect Schaller to be an offensive dynamo for the Canucks. We're expecting a hard to play against, 4th line PKer who can chip in some occasional offense. 

Hahaha you think we expect that? wow. We ask who is expected to replace the lost Sedin points?

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

• -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic
1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Hahaha you think we expect that? wow. We ask who is expected to replace the lost Sedin points?

No, I'm saying you seem to be under the impression other people think that. Follow along. 

The kids are expected to replace the Sedins. We're a rebuilding team. Isn't that what we should want?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

That's exactly what I want, the young guys.

We have no young guys to lay Schaller’s role.  Gaunce was given every opportunity, but he will not add “being hard to play against and fighting” to his skill set.  If he had, then we wouldn’t have signed Schaller.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We have no young guys to lay Schaller’s role.  Gaunce was given every opportunity, but he will not add “being hard to play against and fighting” to his skill set.  If he had, then we wouldn’t have signed Schaller.

Schaller has 3 NHL fights over 2 years...

Guys on my no contact rec ice hockey team fight twice as often as Schaller.....  Sorry Alf....

PS - got a guy on my coed  mixed bowling team that gets into more fights at the bowling alley than Schaller has in the NHL...

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The closest we have would be Palmu and Gadjovich and they are at least a year or two away at the earliest if they make it at all. Really don't understand the hate being thrown Schaller’s way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Guys on my no contact rec ice hockey team fight twice as often as Schaller.....  Sorry Alf....

PS - got a guy on my coed  mixed bowling team that gets into more fights at the bowling alley than Schaller has in the NHL...

King, you give this old guy smiles, and he thanks you.  :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Schaller fights to stand up for guys, not just for the sake of fighting. Also fighting as a whole has dramatically gone down league wide so very few guys are fighting 5+ times a year now anyway. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Schaller fights to stand up for guys, not just for the sake of fighting. Also fighting as a whole has dramatically gone down league wide so very few guys are fighting 5+ times a year now anyway. 

Exactly.  Plus, guys know he will fight to stand up for himself.  He’s a hard guy to play against.  Like I said earlier, I think Gaunce would be the better player if he added Schaller’s hard to play against skills.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Plus, guys know he will fight to stand up for himself.  He’s a hard guy to play against.  Like I said earlier, I think Gaunce would be the better player if he added Schaller’s hard to play against skills.

I'll take this over a garbage staged fight anyday. And he can play too. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Schaller peaked last year on a great Bruins team, he will NEVER see those point totals again. He won't play more than 100 more NHL games.

Your hate for this guys is baffling to me to be honest. What did he do to you exactly to not even want to give him a chance?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Here's another point involving Gaunce as the guy he might take a spot from:

Schaller at age 24 scored 18 points in 72 AHL games. Schaller is going to be 28 in November, he has peaked.

Gaunce at age 22 scored 38 points in 46 AHL games. Gaunce is going to be 25 in March, he has not peaked.

I would rather give Gaunce another kick at the can, especially considering he was injured for most of last year, rather than a 28 year old placeholder that doesn't have a future here.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Schaller at age 24 scored 18 points in 72 AHL games. Schaller is going to be 28 in November, he has peaked.

Gaunce at age 22 scored 38 points in 46 AHL games. Gaunce is going to be 25 in March, he has not peaked.

I would rather give Gaunce another kick at the can, especially considering he was injured for most of last year, rather than a 28 year old placeholder that doesn't have a future here.

If Schaller was still trying to break in you’d have a case here but with 3SHG and 22 points last year which is solid 4th line production, you really don't. 

Gaunce has now reached the point of having to take his opportunity from someone as we can't wait for him to pan out.

It's his draft year +6 now time to earn your keep. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

The problem I have with your AHL comparison is that we are talking about a position that doesn't necessarily rely on points. If one player proves to be more effective at standing up for the team than the other and, ultimately, affecting the game more in our favour, I don't really care what each player did in the AHL.

Besides, Schaller is a different player than Gaunce from what I can tell. Gaunce doesn't really provide the toughness Schaller provides nor would it be fair to expect that from Gaunce. I don't think they are necessarily even competing for the same spot. They might be, but then that's going to depend on the team we are playing against.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Gaunce will be in his peak a much better player than Schaller...

But i guess that is why gaunce was a first round draft and Schaller was undrafted.... No ? .

• Cheers 1