The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Federal Liberals to End Solitary Confinement

DonLever

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Typical Liberals soft on crime and they don't want to punish dangerous criminals. Same thing under Chretien, except under Chretien they also received hustler magazines on the tax payers dime. Same old liberals.

I get thats the CPC narrative that must always be trotted out, but really at this point can we try to look at some actual evidence? Harpers 'tough on crime' approach was a failure, it didn't do any objective good at all. How about some factual debate instead of this line, it doesn't do any good. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I get thats the CPC narrative that must always be trotted out, but really at this point can we try to look at some actual evidence? Harpers 'tough on crime' approach was a failure, it didn't do any objective good at all. How about some factual debate instead of this line, it doesn't do any good. 

Looking at evidence would force them to acknowledge that they were wrong. 

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Looking at evidence would force them to acknowledge that they were wrong. 

its a useless debate. It hasn't led to anything better. The focus should be citizens experiencing less crime, not some old line about who's softer. 

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So no solitary confinement.......ok. Bring back capital punishment. Scum like Olson, Bernardo, Pickton and numerous others shouldn't have breathed a single breath after they were convicted.

meh, as I've said before, putting those individuals in the general prison population (eg., taking the no solitary confinement to it's logical conclusion) will solve the problem soon enough.  No need for anyone to soil their hands.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

meh, as I've said before, putting those individuals in the general prison population (eg., taking the no solitary confinement to it's logical conclusion) will solve the problem soon enough.  No need for anyone to soil their hands.

Except the prisoners tearing them apart. Works for me.

I disagreed with Liberals bill for a few following reasons: a dangerous offenders should pay the crime as they committed the crimes and if they didn't like the prison, it's a consequences that they must face.  It is giving criminals more rights over victims which I am sick of seeing nowadays.  It is like, you can commit a crime then get away with it with programs but the crime act has been done for the victims.   Second reason, it also cost money to the program that will not have some success to it as criminals might like the new prison environment and might reoffend than if solitary confinement due to human interactions and they wouldn't be able to get that when they get out of prison as many people will avoid that dangerous ex-criminals that is liability to recommit a crime.  Once they get lonely in the society, they would do anything to maintain the contact within the prison with the new program that the Liberals are proposing.    I wouldn't be surprised if this program will not work 10 years from now as increased crimes will be once criminals get out of prison.  

23 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not necessarily saying long term. It should be there as a deterrent and a punishment. 

It's not an effective deterrent and actually puts staff and other prisoners at more risk. There are many ways to restrict and punish. 

14 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I disagreed with Liberals bill for a few following reasons: a dangerous offenders should pay the crime as they committed the crimes and if they didn't like the prison, it's a consequences that they must face.  It is giving criminals more rights over victims which I am sick of seeing nowadays.  It is like, you can commit a crime then get away with it with programs but the crime act has been done for the victims.   Second reason, it also cost money to the program that will not have some success to it as criminals might like the new prison environment and might reoffend than if solitary confinement due to human interactions and they wouldn't be able to get that when they get out of prison as many people will avoid that dangerous ex-criminals that is liability to recommit a crime.  Once they get lonely in the society, they would do anything to maintain the contact within the prison with the new program that the Liberals are proposing.    I wouldn't be surprised if this program will not work 10 years from now as increased crimes will be once criminals get out of prison.  

Your post goes completely against all of the statistics. Your feelings mean nothing in front of data.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

So no solitary confinement.......ok. Bring back capital punishment. Scum like Olson, Bernardo, Pickton and numerous others shouldn't have breathed a single breath after they were convicted.

Should ship them to Russia, I watched a doc. on their prison system and yikes, don't get in trouble over there.  I know there's other prisons that are deadlier like in El Salvador but in Russia it's something else. 

15 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Should ship them to Russia, I watched a doc. on their prison system and yikes, don't get in trouble over there.  I know there's other prisons that are deadlier like in El Salvador but in Russia it's something else. 

Saw the same documentary.

Archived