The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is There A Player Pettersson Can Be Compared To?

TheGuardian_

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

larianov is a bit underrated overall

he centered the best line in hockey in the world

he came to the nhl late.. he had played his best years in russia

and still excelled for many years in the nhl

I always hoped he might come back to the Canuck organization in some capacity or other. A great player and a good person.

1 minute ago, ynwa said:

I always hoped he might come back to the Canuck organization in some capacity or other. A great player and a good person.

he is part of the canuck organization through goldy

he represents him .. and by all accounts

is helping goldy and the canucks by guiding goldy to make necessary improvements to his game

if only tryamkin would hire him as agent

then igor could help the canucks even more

try needs some solid advice from an experienced former nhl/russian player

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

he is part of the canuck organization through goldy

he represents him .. and by all accounts

is helping goldy and the canucks by guiding goldy to make necessary improvements to his game

I didn't know that—interesting.

2 hours ago, VanGnome said:

Just wait until he's sitting at 195/200-210 in 3-4 seasons. If you think Pettersson is beast now... Scandinavian players almost always unequivocally take longer to physically mature.

I believe the final form of Pettersson is going to be Peter Forsberg/Pavel Datsyuk with shades of Gretzky. He is going to be ludicrously good. Kamehameha good.

There is NO WAY he gets anywhere near 210 pounds. He has a small frame. His older brother is a great comparison. About the same height and the highest listed weight I could find was 176. He is 24, and will be 25 in January. 

As for comparisons, as many have said I see a carbon copy of Datsyuk. Just taller and much more slim. 

His shot reminds me of Nikita Kucherov.  Commands the one timer and quick wrister with authority. 

His vision is is very much like Henrik Sedin.  Not because of the bank pass, but because of the way he can time and thread long outlet passes... and also make the quick no look drops into area ...  and fake looks while ripping a back door feed across the crease.

His skating is Gretzkyish.  Looks slightly awkward.  Decent speed and lateral movement. 

His hands and defensive awareness is where I see Datsyuk.  

His IQ however...  is where I think he’s the most unique.  The ability he’s shown over the last year to face a learning obstacle, understand it and dominate it at cpu processing speeds...  the kid just extrapolates the game like he’s building monuments with mega blocks....

Its that quality that’s really got the hockey world talking.   And when you apply that rare talent on top of all that natural skill...  you can see why all the hype is building.   It’s legit. 

Its pretty early to compare him to such great players.  I have little doubt he will be just as elite, but exactly how elite and with what style depends on how much he grows and what skills he hones in the coming years.  His shot is elite.  His stickhandling and footwork is elite.  His vision is standout already. His speed is good as is his 2 way game.  But he will improve still and will almost certainly be a premier, all around fantastic offensive player of his own making.

I think by comparing him to other players we ignore the potential he has to hone his entire game.

He is so well rounded I feel his size is the only thing that is obviously lacking, but I believe that too can be rectified over time.  That wide skillset is what is going to continue to blow everyone away and will also distance himself from such comparables who tend to have deficiencies that he simply does not.

When he goes into the hall of fame (and he will), he wont be remembered for having attributes like another player.  He will be remembered for being awesome at damn near everything.

Vancouver badly needed a franchise player, and our bad luck in the lottery made that a challenge.  Luckily, Banning made a very (very) astute pick.

His compete level and work ethic reminds of me Burrows when he was a fringe player doing whatever it took to stay.  Aggressive backchecking, sprawling on the ice to keep possession of the puck, etc.  

As for his offensive game.... his puckhandling is akin to Datsyuk or Lemieux.... in the sense that his speed with or without the puck stays about the same, which is pretty hard to do.  If you look at say... Kesler with or without the puck, there's a clear difference in the speed (Canucks puckhandling skills competition between Kesler and Wellwood... I believe Wellwood actually won).  

His ability to be very dangerous in both shooting and passing.... kind of reminds me of Demitra.  Good wrister, good slapshot, good passing as well.  

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

It’s early yet but Datsyuk is the closest, or maybe Larionov.  He doesn’t have Sundins or Mario’s physical gifts, and don’t think anyone played like Gretzky did at the same age (Pettersson makes Goldobin a PPG player I will change my mind)  but he’s good enough to get Boeser back on track.  Sakic had a doggedness to him as well, to go along with one of the best wristers all-time but it just doesn’t look the same.  Datsyuk is the closest...

At 19 it’s hard to remember how these legends were exactly, except Gretzky he was all over the news for years and well on his way to obliterating NHL records, talk about an alien.  He’s tall but not physically able to do what Lemuiex and Sundin can do.  The original Magic Man maybe too?

The only reason Goldy isn't a point per game player with Elias, is he missed a couple empty nets.

I don't think he's got the vision of Gretz but he has the ability to control the game the same way. Gretz could thread needles from his backhand, through three guys legs, back door without even looking there. The first time you see it, you say ok, wow but fluke, then he went on to do silly things like that game in game out.

I see better passing than Hank for sure (which says a great deal since Hank is one of the best assist men in NHL history)

I see a shot that reminds me of Sakic, Kariya, and Naslund, just that ability to wire it off the wrist shot, and scarily he's going to get stronger. Gretz never had that

I see his dangling and stick work like Datsyuk, again gretz didn't have that..

So my call, a mix of Hank, Dastyuk and Sakic, with the ability to actually slow the game down/ control it like Gretz

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i can see your thinking process

2 problems though

ep40 knows defence.. i mean really knows it

the great one not so much

the great one knew passing and assists

like no one ever before or since

ep40 has not demonstrated that volume of assist production

now i do concede

that gretzky was criticized at times about his lack of goal production

and put his mind to goal scoring and potted 92 one season

so i can see ep40 elevating his assist totals.. well.. just because

he does rise to a challenge

(but his natural tendency so far is to score

the great one was by nature a master assist man)

i like the larianov comparison the most

a complete overall game

elite thinking and a modest body size

ep40 just has more offensive talent and ability in his performance

so larianov with offense

larianov is a bit underrated overall

he centered the best line in hockey in the world

he came to the nhl late.. he had played his best years in russia

and still excelled for many years in the nhl

EP's goals are only more than his assists because his teammates have lacked finish! Give it time and the apples will outnumber the goals. Plus EP has a uncanny ability to make the right play, and when team mates fail at turning passes into goals he will do it himself until they catch up!

Archived