The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

That’s what happens when you sign up to host the world juniors 

It should be the opposite.  They have to be on the road for the world juniors so why are they so much on the road now - already two trips out east.

Lots of people crying about the MDZ hit. At least he hits. Yeah...this one had bad timing but I want our players to be tougher every game and in this game he hit the habs young centre. Good job by MDZ. 

Quit crying. If the team scored more it would not have been an issue.

21 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Lots of people crying about the MDZ hit. At least he hits. Yeah...this one had bad timing but I want our players to be tougher every game and in this game he hit the habs young centre. Good job by MDZ. 

Yes. He does hit. Give him that. If our Team didn't have the 2nd worst goals against, bottom 5 goal differential and most goals against in the 3rd period it wouldnt be an issue 

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

A few things stood out for me tonight.

1. As Toyota and others pointed out, the key play of the game was MDZ's penalty. How much do I hate that play? Let me count the ways. First it was just a stupid play -- late in the 3rd period in a tie game, an obvious penalty, and served no purpose in terms of the play. And it was a dirty play -- a late hard hit into the boards long after the puck was gone when Kotkaniemi was not expecting to be hit. It was a cheap shot on the young talented rookie, exactly the kind of hit we don't want to see on Pettersson. Montreal was not taking a lot lot of liberties with Pettersson tonight. If MDZ was going to make that kind of play it should have been against a team that was taking cheap shots at EP40. 

2. EP40 scored a nice goal off a one-timer on a pass from Hutton. If Pouliot had been on the PP making that pass it probably would have been in EPs feet or on the wrong side and the opportunity would be gone. Nice to see Hutton on the first unit PP.

3. Another big game from Horvat. He took 34 face-offs--about as many as eveyone else combined.--and he won over 2/3 of them (going 23 and 11). And he deserved an assist on the first goal, did a great job playing shutdown, and had some good scoring chances. Hope he can keep it up.

4. The Canuck D is trying to support the offense and is taking some risks. The first Montreal goal was because Guddy was thinking about the offense and let his man (Tatar) blow by him to get open for the stretch pass. It was a great pass by Petry and a great play by Tatar, but I am not sure it is worth it to have Guddy trying to push the offence. I would rather see him focus on defence.

5. Goldy got an assist on the goal by EP40 but I continue to disappointed at the poor cross-ice passes he often makes and by his lack of consistency on the backcheck and on the forecheck (too many flybys). He did make some good defensive plays tonight, so he is trying, but it would nice if playing hard on the backcheck was part of his DNA, as it seems to be for EP and Horvat.

6. I am sure a lot of fans are thinking during the game about about how good it would be to have Edler, Boeser, Sutter, Beagle and Baerschi back. I certainly am.

7. The Canucks played a good game. It was pretty close but in a just world the Canucks would have come away with 2 pts. The Canucks had above average luck to start the season but have had below-average luck recently.  As Green said in his post-game interview, the team is playing hard. No complaints on that score. I complained above about MDZ and Goldy, but they are trying hard, as is everyone else. Just hope they keep it up as the bounces will start going the Canucks' way again sooner or later.

Well said. I was entertained watching the game tonight. Thats all i ask for from this team. They were engaged, had fight, etc. 

I am getting tired of Goldobin's play along with his ill advised passes. One led to a breakaway with the score tied in the 3rd. Every game, he seems to turn the puck over leading to a scoring chance. I could sometimes ignore these turnovers if he scored more than he gives up but he doesn't. 

Also, for a vet, that penalty by MDZ cannot happen. 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Personally, not crying about it. W/L/Draw, I enjoy following this team. But call a spade, a spade. It was a very stupid play. Undisciplined. A vet should never set such a silly example, at THAT moment of a tie game. Guy's not part of this team's future. If you can get any 2019 pick..flip him. Lots of D injured, nowadays. Also heard Edler is skating. Biega's available. There are options. If no one will trade anything, put Bulldog in next few games anyhow.

Season-start, they were sitting this guy..they had it right.

Sign a couple more AHL pto D's if necc. I'd like to see Sautner & Brisebois get a shot.

Archived