The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preppers

You Mad Bro?

Hello friends

I though we could have a discussion on prepping. If anyone does it. Ideas or tips on how to do it better?

I’m a pretty normal guy. 30, run a small blue collar business. But I’ve quietly over the last 6 months starting putting together a little stash of emergency supplies. Few cans or bags of rice everyother time I’m in the grocery store. Getting a bug out bag with essential survival gear packed and ready. I’m wondering if there’s some people that take this more seriously?

I’ve realized you don’t have to be a crazy old bearded nutjob who lives in the woods to just want to be prepared for an emergency. 

So if you do prep and would like to discuss ideas about it, please share!

The emergency could be any number of things. Earthquake, virus outbreak, ww3, aliens, zombies!

and for a little humour maybe share something silly you could or should pack in your emergency bag. Mine is a micky of whisky. 

I have a few tins of food and a couple of jugs of water that I put aside and periodically swap out for fresh ones, just in case of an earthquake. Along with a first aid kit.

We live in a high risk earthquake zone, so I figure better safe than sorry on that one. It has enough food for about a week and a half I guess.

My neighbors are mostly super old, so in the event of a real emergency I can always just steal their food. :)

I live in a nice out of the way area, and don't really 'prep' for disaster by hoarding anything in particular.  If something went seriously wrong, there'll be supplies available in the houses abandoned by others.  I've just made sure that I have tools, and how to books on practical things, like mechanics, electronics, and building.  Knowledge is power after all, and if it all goes south, and you have to rebuild, rather not have to figure out a lot of what we have already done.  Will be getting myself a full level 3 first aid kit for the new year tho.  I will also try my hand at solar power grid making, as well as figuring out how to best implement a nice little hydro powered electricity generator that doesn't require flooding out a valley. :)

Thinking practically tho, the biggest things off the hope are medical, food storage, and clean water.  Buy one of those graphene water purifiers, and learn how to can.  That'll be one of the  biggest separators between making it and not in the case of a full blown collapse.  

35 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I have a few tins of food and a couple of jugs of water that I put aside and periodically swap out for fresh ones, just in case of an earthquake. Along with a first aid kit.

We live in a high risk earthquake zone, so I figure better safe than sorry on that one. It has enough food for about a week and a half I guess.

My neighbors are mostly super old, so in the event of a real emergency I can always just steal their food. :)

we have an earthquake kit too, plus a kit bag that we take back country skiing. I figure if those two things aren't enough then I'll go down to the Vancouver yacht club and steal a really nice boat to escape the insanity. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we have an earthquake kit too, plus a kit bag that we take back country skiing. I figure if those two things aren't enough then I'll go down to the Vancouver yacht club and steal a really nice boat to escape the insanity. 

Sail over to the island and pick me up, I'm big and I have experience in fights. Will enforce for you in exchange for food and shelter.

48 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

This pretty much sums up my supplies. I should have a first aid kit as well.  

In the event of a serious emergency, we have our camping trailer.  It has everything we need, including emergency food and water for about a week.  The battery is charged, we have solar to keep it charged and the propane tank is full.

The only trick is, during the winter months, the trailer is winterized so the water system would be of no use.  We do keep bottled water on hand.

I have my trusty Boy Scout knife and several rolls of duct tape.  So as long as Vancouver Island doesn't sink into the Pacific Ocean, I feel I'm as prepared as I need to be.

Interesting to see the "prepper" replies here.  You can tell this must be a Canadian site 'cause if it were American, it would be mostly about how you defend yourself from the kind of"preppers" Bananamash describes.  

If a societal collapse of any length happens,  anarchy will reign and there will be no one there (police etc.) to protect you from those who will take what you have and worse. Louisiana was a pretty good example of how quickly that can happen. it only took a few days for the "evil element" in their our midst to act to organize and control food and to require "payment" for basic everyday items.  Break-ins, looting, assaults etc. were rampant.  

I live in a small remote town that is used to extended power outages and road closures.  We are fortunate enough to have a large grocery store that could feed our community for an extended time if necessary.  in our home, we probably have sufficient food stores to last at least a few weeks, we keep our freezers full  and fresh water is all around us.  We also mostly heat with wood and can get around without the need for vehicles. oh, and as hunting is prevalent around here, we don't need to rely on the authorities (or lack thereof)to protect ourselves and our community from those who would seek to take advantage.  The best prepping we have is our community itself.  Everyone knows everyone and many are related.  History has shown that during difficult times (fires, extended power outages etc.) that the community comes together to look after each other.    

If I lived in the city, aside from some basic, easily transportable food items, I would be thinking self-defence and planning how tp escape  the area ASAP hopefully before it all went to hell.

Where I live it is not uncommon for the power to go out for 3-4 days, so I have a back up generator. It's a bit small and only gas powered but it is enough to keep the fridge and freezer cold.

4 or 5 camp stove size propane bottles for cooking and multiple flashlights, candles and re chargeable batteries. Battery operated and  hand cranking radio.

First aid kits, fishing gear.

48 bottles(500ml) of water, even though my water supply is gravity fed, no pump required.

Lots of deer and fish within 1/2 mile of home.

About 3 weeks of canned food and rice. Some seeds for next years garden.

Almost looking forward to the collapse, except I'd miss the hell out of the stereo.

Archived